• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    It's been almost a year since I've posted one of my "legal scenarios," and some INGO members at the last 1500 were asking me to bring them back - so here we go:

You have a valid LTCH, and you're in the habit of carrying your Kimber Pro Carry pretty much 24/7, always concealed in a IWB holster.

Your 17 year-old daughter has starting dating someone that you really don't care for - he always avoids eye contact with you, he's a couple years older than your daughter, and he's got strange tattoos on his neck.

One night, he comes to your house to pick up your daughter, and she informs you that they're going to a rock concert nearly an hour away. You say that's fine, but she needs to be home by midnight. The "boyfriend" says, "not gonna happen, it'll be at least 1:00 am."

You raise up your shirt, show him the Kimber, and say simply, "Midnight."

The gun never leaves the holster, and you say nothing else.

The kid leaves your house, calls his parents to tell them that you've just theatened to kill him, and the cops show up at your house, looking for "the crazy guy with the gun."

Have you committed a crime?

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    My opinion, and its just my opinion, that's intimidation and it is a crime.

Better to be sitting in your favorite recliner with a table next to it and the Kimber laying on the table as you caress it during the entire conversation :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:
    (1) that the other person engage in conduct against the other person's will;

It's a close call, but it could go either way.

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I'm going to say yes. Maybe something along the lines of intimidation with a deadly weapon? Class C felony? He was on your property but he was invited to be there. Much better ways to handle that situation.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Yep, intimidation. Now, if you just happen to be sitting on the front porch cleaning your guns with several bullet ridden targets draped over the railing, and tell him in a stern voice that they had better be back by midnight...that would be ok. :D

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'll play, couinselor.

Did the police report it as a crime? In not, then there was no crime.

Was the dad arrested and charged? If so, what was/were the charge(s)? Was he convicted?

It was a dumb move but a crime only if reported.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:
    (1) that the other person engage in conduct against the other person's will;

It's a close call, but it could go either way.
    Would this part relate to this part? "You say that's fine, but she needs to be home by midnight. The "boyfriend" says, "not gonna happen, it'll be at least 1:00 am."
    Is it against the "will" of the boyfriend who wants to have her home by 1:00 and not midnight?

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'll play, couinselor.

Did the police report it as a crime? In not, then there was no crime.

Was the dad arrested and charged? If so, what was/were the charge(s)? Was he convicted?

It was a dumb move but a crime only if reported.

Valid question. Yes, the parents of the boyfriend called the cops and reported it as a crime. Now what?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think it could go either way. Nothing was really said. You could have had an itch, and your shirt raised up when you scratched.

I think it's going to depend on the cops who showed up, and even the judge if it comes to that.

I would like to think the cops wouldn't really believe a punk kid with a neck tattoo over the father of a daughter.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think it could go either way. Nothing was really said. You could have had an itch, and your shirt raised up when you scratched.

I think it's going to depend on the cops who showed up, and even the judge if it comes to that.

I would like to think the cops wouldn't really believe a punk kid with a neck tattoo over the father of a daughter.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Would this part relate to this part? "You say that's fine, but she needs to be home by midnight. The "boyfriend" says, "not gonna happen, it'll be at least 1:00 am."
    Is it against the "will" of the boyfriend who wants to have her home by 1:00 and not midnight?

I think that's a rhetorical question! ;) And you're definitely on the right path.

Top Bottom