Have you ever failed a background check when buying a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Just curious. If so, for what reasons (as long as it isn't something immediatetly apparent that you SHOULDN'T pass it for, obviously)?

I was thinking...what happens when you order a gun online, get it shipped to an FFL, and then fail the background check when you fill out the form. Do they just ship it back?

Hopefully this was worded right lol. :dunno:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    felony, domestic violence, dishonorable discharge,to name a few.. any question besides the first if you answer yes to will decline it immediately without even a call to NICS

Hoosierdaddy74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Westside indpls
    I have been told by several LGS that they randomly deny\delay people. One store even said they had a cop denied at first....it was resolved but took couple days. Could be random deeper checks maybe or someone fat fingering information on their end I guess. I still get nervous even tho ive never had ANYTHING on my record.....just never know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been told by several LGS that they randomly deny\delay people. One store even said they had a cop denied at first....it was resolved but took couple days. Could be random deeper checks maybe or someone fat fingering information on their end I guess. I still get nervous even tho ive never had ANYTHING on my record.....just never know.

I still get nervous as well. Any time big brother has your name up on the screen is a bit un-nerving.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A random delay is not the same thing as a denial or failure. I've had to come back a couple days later for several guns I have purchased, that doesn't mean I failed any background check, just took them a while to clear it. I have taken several guns home with me the same day I bought it too. Depends on how busy they are at the time, and in some cases, your name might match someone else's name who actually does have some criminal history. Or, you may have some past criminal history not involving a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor, in which case they would need to verify that any period of ineligibility is past.

If you actually failed, then that means they determined you were ineligible in the first place, which would be nothing new to you.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was delayed one time and they said NICS had so many days (forget how many) to call back or I was allowed to get the gun anyways. Luckily it only took them a day to approve me. My buddy has been delayed 5 times in the last 3 years. A shop owner told us it could be do to the fact that he may have the same name or other identifiers with someone who has a criminal record. But, he also said that NICS never says why they've delayed someone. To be honest I don't know the real reasons for delaying. I do understand denials though obviously lol.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Yep. Twice. Besides the obvious felonies and such that you are asked about on a 4473 form, there are little sneaky ways the gov can screw you out of your purchase youve worked so hard for. For instance, if you have had a DUI or a possession of MJ charge within a year of trying to buy, youll get denied. Even though neither of these crimes are violent or felonies. (Found these 2 out the hard way and had to do a little calling around to ATF branches. I finally found a guy who was willing to tell me some of these unwritten rules. He must have been new.) Sometimes you will get delayed. This happens all the time. I have known people who have squeaky clean records and get delayed every time. I currently get delayed 3 days without fail every time. Its kind of complex and the people on the other end of the line generally dont know anything. They read canned responses like some sort of robot. Any questions, ask me. Ive sold a lot of guns and been through it all.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Never been denied or delayed. I always go to a second examiner for some reason though, but in the end I always get the "proceed"... I have not had so much as a speeding ticket in my lifetime so I am not sure what the reason is that I always get sent to the 2nd Examiner.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I had a friend who shared the same name as a guy with multiple felonies. For some reason his always took a really long time to get approved. Luckily, theres only one other person in America with my name, but no, I have never been declined.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    +1 to private sales!

And no, I've never been delayed.

:yesway: Exactly. As long as everyone involved is on the up and up this is the best way to deal. It's the best "stimulus" for the local economy.

As far as the OP, it's a coin flip for me between proceed/delay. But it's always been a call back the next day to proceed on a delay.

*By up and up I mean not trying to skirt any laws (straw, state to state, etc.) in the process.

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Short answer, you get f'ed w/o getting kissed.

The ffl holding the gun can cosign sell it for you or send it back but that won't be free. Plus pay a re-stocking fee from the place you got it from.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I am still trying to find where the Second Amendment says, "subject to a federal background check."

The Second Amendment reads as: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Although this is not what is meant this is how they try to regulate us. Back Ground checks, permits and other requirements/laws.

a5-50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008

I have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan. Both my parents are American(white) I have lived here since I was 2. After 9/11 I got delayed every time. Ihave a one of a kind name (Goggled it several times). The Feds in every casenever called the gun shops back. Some say this never happened to them before.About 5 years ago I started using my SSN against my better judgment. But itmade gun shows pointless. Ever since then I have not had a delay.

Top Bottom