Has anyone tried the SR22 or M&P 22 pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I want to get a new .22 and have seen some good reviews on these two guns. So far I haven't seen either of them in the local gun shops. I don't know if that is because they are just too new or that they are going out the door as fast as they get in. The only other handgun I'm interested in is a CZ75BD. Sold mine to my youngest son and have to get another.:D

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah i've been kind of interested in the SR22. From all indications that i'm seeing they are supposed to be pretty reliable. They seem to be a tad bit hard to come by though. Was in the LGS a couple of days ago and they said they've been pretty sparse. They get a few here and there but they pretty much sell right away.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think supply on the sr22 is starting to catch up with demand... I see one regularly over at midwest guns in south bend in the last couple of weeks.

I like the feel of it... I wouldn't mind owning one eventually

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I picked up an SR22 at Bradis a little over a month ago. I have been nothing but pleased with it. I already have probably 500 rounds through it, with zero hiccups.

I have fed it about 9 different types/brands of ammo and they all functioned perfectly, to include some sub-sonic ammo. Will look at the list when I get home and let you know what all I have put through it. With the larger grip it *almost* feels like my SR9c.

What I like: Size, interchangable grips, Mags are reliable and easy to load, take down is easy along with cleaning, reversable rear sight blade for either 3 dot or blacked out rear, decocker so no dry fireing on an empty chamber, reliable, accurate.

What I don't like: Mags are $35 from what I have seen. But so are just about every other Ruger mag.
    The only two things that could be negatives for me right now are: 1) I am not crazy about the mag release button. I feel it could be a tad larger, it can be a bit of a pain with gloves on. 2) I haven't been able to find a threaded replacement barrel yet. ;)

All in all, a great little gun. Well worth the price.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Check out the video on you tube about the Sr22...its like a 15 min vid of a guy shooting the **** out of some steel with that gun.....kiss name on Utube is hickok45.....serious check it out.

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    I was lucky enough to pick up an SR22 a few months ago when they came out. My wife and I have put over 500 rounds through it so far with only one failure to fire issue. We have used Federal, Remington and CCI. The one failure issue we had was with a Remington from their bulk box. Personally I love this little gun.

Pros: The two grips that are included are great for various shooters. My wife and I use the larger grip and my daughter switches it to the smaller grip when she shoots it. The grip is extremely easy to change in a matter of 3-4 seconds. 2 magazines are included in the box. The contoured buttons on the side of the magazines makes it a lot easier to load that the smaller buttons on the side of the Mark III magazines. The magazines include pinkie extension base plates. The rear sights are adjustable and reversible. Tear down is very easy. Reasonably priced especially with everything that comes in the white box.

Cons: Just wish it came with a threaded barrel.

I can't speak for the M&P 22 because I have never even held one. Based on the wife's M&P 15-22 I would say the quality is probably very good.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I picked up an SR22 at Bradis a little over a month ago. I have been nothing but pleased with it. I already have probably 500 rounds through it, with zero hiccups.

I have fed it about 9 different types/brands of ammo and they all functioned perfectly, to include some sub-sonic ammo. Will look at the list when I get home and let you know what all I have put through it. With the larger grip it *almost* feels like my SR9c.

What I like: Size, interchangable grips, Mags are reliable and easy to load, take down is easy along with cleaning, reversable rear sight blade for either 3 dot or blacked out rear, decocker so no dry fireing on an empty chamber, reliable, accurate.

What I don't like: Mags are $35 from what I have seen. But so are just about every other Ruger mag.
    The only two things that could be negatives for me right now are: 1) I am not crazy about the mag release button. I feel it could be a tad larger, it can be a bit of a pain with gloves on. 2) I haven't been able to find a threaded replacement barrel yet. ;)

All in all, a great little gun. Well worth the price.

Own a SR22 as well and agree with all of SideArmed's comments. Great little gun, but I've heard good things about the M&P as well. Plus, if it's hugely important to you, the M&P's mags hold more than 10 rounds, I think 12 or 14 or something like that.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Been trying to decide between the SR22 and the M&P22...

My wife made my mind up for me.:D After lunch today we stopped in at the local gun shop and my wife bought me the M&P22. She also told me I could order my CZ75BD. See what happens when I'm a good boy.:laugh:

MP22.jpg

Now I just have to try it out. I was going to hold out for the Ruger but nobody seems to have them around here. Guess I can always pick one up later.:laugh: My only complaint is there was only one magazine with the gun and I had to order a 2nd one.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Any of your choices were good choices for that class of 22. I have had the mp22 for over a month but I had a bad one, it would not get through a magazine BUT I sent a note to Smith service they sent me a prepaid mailer, had the gun shipped back to me within a week of them getting it.

So yes I got a dud, but Smith service was top notch, they fixed the problem and its running good now.

Accuracy is not match grade but it great for the class gun, Plus if you get yourself a 22 can it is great with a huntertown arms attached

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a walther p22 and it was a decent gun and comparable to the MP22 and really its a wash between the 2 except that the MP22 is full sized and feels like a centerfire instead of a rimfire.

And to answer 1022 the reason is we live in America and can choose

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I found a used M&P at lgs looks like brand new fired very little. Put about a hundred rounds of Remington and Blazer through it and not one malfunction. Very fun and cheap to shoot. Some of the differences between the walther and sig mosquito is it is a full size gun.

Last edited:

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    SR22 is great shooting little gun... Only issue was wife didn't fully seat first mag and swore she broke it because mag safety wasn't engaged...

500+ rounds through it with no jams, stove pipes or issues... Anything from M22 Winchester gargage to Remington Silver bullet value pack... Most accurate with CCI Minimags

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I've got both guns and both are excellent working guns. I'm a larger guy with big hands so I prefer the m&p because of the size. You won't be disappointed with either gun.

Top Bottom