Has anyone had to use their HD gun or EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    New Castle
    never had to dis charge the weapon but it has been drawn a few times on account of someone roaming outside the house. One night I had left the house and shortly after doing so my wife gave some guy the scare of his life it was 4am and i left my edc with her sure enough someone tries to come in the house needless to say instead of comeing in they ran off cursing.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Thank everyone for their replies. I know people dont like to talk about these things much, especially if things got bad. I just thought that maybe if people shared just the circumstances of the incident without going into any uncomfortable details, It may act as mental training in a way and allow people to plan for many scenarios.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Other than .mil/ contracting-
    Twice- No discharge. 1 guy realized he brought a knife to a gunfight and the other realized that a tire iron didn't have the reach of my pistol.

Bob

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    People SAY that "its too private, nobody will talk about it on the internet, thats why you never hear about it".

My experiance has been the opposite, and people expose anything and everything on the internet.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You probably won't find many LEOs responding to this. It is not that they are afraid what others may think. I don't know of any who really want to discharge their weapon. I don't for sure. It's bad enough that we pull them out on duty, and will to protect ourselves and others. You will find the vast majority are not an officer for "the rush". They are here to actually wnat to help others.

Yes, I have pulled mine and fired in self defense. Looking back, I'm not happy about it but it had to be done.

Fortunately I've never had to fire, but I'll share my thoughts the first time I had to draw down on somebody. I was in my first month of FTO and two guys had ran from the neighboring city's department. As luck would have it, I ended up being the one to find them, and draw down on them to order them out from hiding. The overriding thought in my head as I stood there was how badly I did NOT want to have to fire. They complied very quickly, probably due to the K9 officer and his partner that had come over to help. Hopefully that's as far as I'll ever have to go.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Fortunately I've never had to fire, but I'll share my thoughts the first time I had to draw down on somebody. I was in my first month of FTO and two guys had ran from the neighboring city's department. As luck would have it, I ended up being the one to find them, and draw down on them to order them out from hiding. The overriding thought in my head as I stood there was how badly I did NOT want to have to fire. They complied very quickly, probably due to the K9 officer and his partner that had come over to help. Hopefully that's as far as I'll ever have to go.

Too many things goes through your mind while pulling your weapon, more afterwards. A kajillion if you have to pull the trigger. Glad you (we) are okay. Here's to all of those before and after us.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    Does pulling a Hockey stick count? I got surprised by two teenagers who snuck up behind me at 2Am in my apartment complex. I was unloading my car and hockey equipment and they were standing five feet behind me. The one time I would have drawn if I was carrying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    People SAY that "its too private, nobody will talk about it on the internet, thats why you never hear about it".

My experiance has been the opposite, and people expose anything and everything on the internet.

If they expose anything and everything on the internet then it's got to be true! :popcorn:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

It is private. I could tell stories but won't. I don't think that there are any officers on this site that haven't had to pull their weapon. They are all just normal humans who are trained. They have the same feelings as everyone else and would suffer emotionally as any one else would. Yes, they are trained to pull the trigger if needed. They each also know the consequences of pulling the trigger. The scrutiny, the questions, the emotions, family reaction, the self-scruting for just a few. FYI, there is a large portion of officers who use their weapon in the line of duty, who in 6 months aren't officers anymore.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Does pulling a Hockey stick count? I got surprised by two teenagers who snuck up behind me at 2Am in my apartment complex. I was unloading my car and hockey equipment and they were standing five feet behind me. The one time I would have drawn if I was carrying.

Does not count but you can get a minor for slashing.

I am with Irahm on this one. It is private and no matter the outcome it is not happy. It is barely something I would share with the family - let alone strangers on the internut. It is not like CSI or NCIS.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have had it on me while going out to check on an accident outside my house at 3:30 AM. when I did find the guy he was at my front door asking my wife if he could come in. I never had to draw the weapon and neither the perp or the LEO's knew I had it. He was arrested on my porch.

Driving while intoxicated, drugs, and entering the neighbors house as well as trying to stop her from calling 911. He didn't physically hurt anyone but it could have gone wrong. He went from her house to my front door and that is when my wife called me from inside the house to my cell phone to say the guy was at the front door. Super glad to have had the gun at that point and also super glad I did not have to use it.

The second time was when someone pounded on the door at 3:00 AM and it sounded like they were literally kicking the door in. I was up, dressed and had my .40 within about a minute. Went out and peeked outside through whatever windows I could to try to see what was going on. Never caught anyone but I know where they went because I followed the shoe prints in the snow for about 3/4 mile to their house. I chalked it up to someone that was drunk and decided to pound on a door.

Other than those two everything has been pretty good. But that is probably because I also open the front door and randomly fire 3-4 shots in the air every night before bed. Then I yell out "I don't think you want any of THIS DO YA!?".:D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    First time i was sleeping, and i heard my bedroom window being opened from the outside. I slept with a 1911 by my head as i lived in a bad area at the time. I took the safety off as i slept under the window, and waited to see what was going on. A person i didn't know started to crawl through the window, and i slammed the muzzle into his forehead, he dropped back out of the window, and him and his friends took off. I did manage to hear him say i **** myself, he was gonna kill me.
    The last time was i was sleeping when my ex wife woke me, and said someone is in the house. We could here someone walking through the house, and i had my 1911 again, so when he got to my bedroom door, i opened the door, slammed the muzzle against his head and yelled freeze. Lucky for my exes son i have good reflexes, i pulled the trigger, as i did i noticed who it was, i caught the hammer just in time, and i'm not even sure how.
    I hope that it never happens again, but i will do what it takes to protect my family.

Wow, this is really an incredible tale. You caught the hammer? Really?

For future reference, you might consider that jamming a 1911 into a body can push the slide back far enough to make it inop. It doesn't take much. It also tells the other guy where the gun is so it can be taken away from you.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is private. I could tell stories but won't. I don't think that there are any officers on this site that haven't had to pull their weapon. They are all just normal humans who are trained. They have the same feelings as everyone else and would suffer emotionally as any one else would. Yes, they are trained to pull the trigger if needed. They each also know the consequences of pulling the trigger. The scrutiny, the questions, the emotions, family reaction, the self-scruting for just a few. FYI, there is a large portion of officers who use their weapon in the line of duty, who in 6 months aren't officers anymore.

Or worse.

We had an Officer who was involved in two shootings in less than 6 months. One fatal and one wounding. Nicest, most gentle young man with a great family. A good cop, just the first one there and did what he was forced to do by the actions of the perps. His friends watched over him and he continues to be an asset to the Department.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom