Has ammo come back to reasonable pricing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    This is because they buy direct from the manufacturers, in huge quantities, and on schedules. The ammo they are selling now was likely paid for some time ago, so they didn't have to raise their prices.

I can tell you for a fact that dealer cost on ammo has gone up significantly; there was a point when we were seeing 3-4 price hikes a year from Olin/Winchester and Federal. Now, some businesses chose to "jack" their prices to whatever they thought they could get away with (<cough>CTD<cough>), while others maintained the same markup they always had, and others did something somewhere in-between.

Please be careful who you paint with that broad brush of yours. Yeah, I saw the :): but there are a lot of people on this board who seriously believe that; they don't need fuel added to their fire.

Fair enough...I know...I was kinda making fun of those that immediately point the finger at businesses for raising their price during a shortage.
    People forget the whole cause and effect of supply and demand. It's capitalism 101 that some need to learn.:patriot:

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I check a few websites regularly just to see how prices and supply look.

I usually look at 9mm 115gr FMJ with Federal American Eagle as sort of a benchmark. I picked it because a few months ago Natchez had it listed in their sales catalog at $10.99/box, but on their website for $15.49. The good news is that Natchez has managed to keep it in stock, but the price has gone up to $15.99.

For a while Cheaper Than Dirt had the same ammo at something like $19.20/box. Then one day recently it went to over $30. They currently don't have it listed, but you see the S&B I linked above is $38. (I've seen the same stuff for around $13 recently.)

Midway still lists the American Eagle at $11.49, but is out of stock with an estimated in stock date of late November.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I can usually get S&B 9mm at $15 a box. Just the other day I picked up 400rnds of Remmy UMC 55gr fmj .223 for $95.90 plus tax... Comes out to be about .24/rnd minus tax. :D If I did my math right, that's 4.80 a box...

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I was at GM in castleton yesterday and they had wolf black box 223 for 9.99 a box...ouch..aim surplus has the same ammo for 5.39 and I think centerfire has it for even less

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I was at GM in castleton yesterday and they had wolf black box 223 for 9.99 a box...ouch..aim surplus has the same ammo for 5.39 and I think centerfire has it for even less

You said the wrong leters GM. I think anything with those letters just have terrible corporate management. I mean look at General Motors now. Good product but bad management.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The shelves are starting to fill back up around here. I'm hoping I'll get the good CNA job soon so that I can afford to buy a bunch. Shot up most of my stock, esp 7.62x39.

There are people here who think ammo prices are still going up and price accordingly. I do not do business with them at this point.

CCI rimfire ammo especially is showing back up on shelves, and at pre-panic prices, maybe a dollar more max. Around $6 per hundred for Mini-Mags. They were up to $8/100 when they could be found just a month ago.

Still looking for more Winchester 333 though...

Josh <><

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One of my local shops has .40, and 9mm for $15 a box. Yes Walmart has it cheaper if you can find it. As for now Acme Sports in Seymour is the cheapest I have found, next to Walmart. They are always stocked, and the guys are good to deal with.:yesway:

aero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Indianapolis, In
    One of my local shops has .40, and 9mm for $15 a box. Yes Walmart has it cheaper if you can find it. As for now Acme Sports in Seymour is the cheapest I have found, next to Walmart. They are always stocked, and the guys are good to deal with.:yesway:

Looks like i might have to take a drive down south next week :D

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I havent seen ammo at walmart in southport in 2months. Not that I need any but I still look every time I go there. I say its never to late to stock up.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Looks like i might have to take a drive down south next week :D

They are defently worth taking a look at. I have never seen them run low on ammo. In fact they are about the only place I do buisness with anymore. If you want to call them, their number is 812-552-4008.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Its a miracle. I went to Walmart to pick up some slugs and shotshell for my new Judge and they had one box of WWB .45 for $32.

MikeyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    North of Indy
    I was at the Fishers (96th and 69) Wal-Mart today and they had Federal FMJ 50rd .40 boxes for $12.47. They also had 9mm 50 rd. boxes for $9.XX (can't remember exact price, I was looking for .40)

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two years ago at Wal-Mart you could buy WWB .40 for 16.97/100. It is 28.97 right now if you can find it so I am still waiting for prices to come back down and I believe they will a bit but not to previous prices. I guess that is why reloading is my new hobby!

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What kind of ammo do you normally buy? Any certain type or just whatever is available?

My standard for pricing target ammo is:

http://www.precisioncartridge.com/R...on-Commercial-Wholesale-Price-List-Page-1.pdf

Yes, you have to buy by the case and its not conveniently located but if you are ever on a trip to Chicago or northern Indiana, just call ahead a day or two, talk to Dennis the owner, bring cash and he'll take care of you. Given the quality of PC's reloads, there is no reason to pay more for new. His JHPs are a real bargain and look just as good, but I haven't tried them yet so can't speak for them. But, wouldn't it be nice to be able to practice with JHP again?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I still have a heck of a time finding 50 bullets .40 Cal JHP's. I heard a crazy rumor that dons was selling them for $60+ a box ? any truth to this ? i never shop there so was just wondering.
    It's either gonna be don's or gander trying to break it off in you. I will say this try Elmore's or the Outdoorsman on 135 in Johnson County. Normally I would not recommend any person to go there, but I think it is time for the little guy to have his chance.

Top Bottom