Has a seller ever changed price after agreeing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I was going to buy a P99 from a Coworker and when I showed up to pay him he said he forgot to bring it and was not sure of price. I told him what we agreed on and now he is going to want more cash. I have finally saved my pennies and quarters and sold stuff to get this gun and now I am wondering if I should pass on buying it altogether. He has always been a standup guy and I realize he has just returned from back surgery and going through a divorce but it is still agrevating. Should I still buy if it is within my budget?

45CalJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I wouldn't buy it, unless it was still a good deal and it benefited me. Everyone has problems, doesn't give him grounds to jack up the price to someone who might feel obligated to sympathize with him. Usually prices get negotiated to a cheaper amount, not the other way around. Or, have him throw in some ammo/gear with it.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Did you shake hands on the price? if so, I'd walk and discount that man's word going forward.

Of course, if this were an online transaction (price agreed over PM or email) then I'd walk and leave bad rep.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd offer the originally agreed upon price. If that's no longer a good enough price for him, I'd offer up a condescending 'wow' (complete with smug eyeroll :rolleyes:) and walk away.

Yes, even if it was still a good price.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I'd offer the originally agreed upon price. If that's no longer a good enough price for him, I'd offer up a condescending 'wow' (complete with smug eyeroll :rolleyes:) and walk away.

Yes, even if it was still a good price.

I might say something a little more colorful then "wow", otherwise this is spot on.

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    It is all up to you, you are still happy with the deal take it, if not tell the guy what the number you would buy the gun at. If he does not like it walk away..

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Yes it has happened to me before and can be a bit unnerving. It all depends really if it is still a good deal, how much you want it and if you get along well with the guy and if that can give some consideration of the circumstance he in. If he isn't too close of an aquaintence and it isn't really a deal, then I'd bet you could easily buy one elsewhere.

czar996

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    How much time passed between the first agreed upon price and when you had the money? If it was more than a couple weeks, I can see how things may have changed. Markets change too. Prior to November '08 you could get a decent price on an AR. Then prices seemed to go crazy for a while. Now they seem to be coming back in line.

Just my pennies....

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    It was a month since we shook hands. I updated him several times of my status. I think it is (was) a good deal, an unfired all German Walther P99QA in 9mm with a spare factory mag at $375.If he only asks no more than $50 I will probably still take it. Thanks for the advise

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I will never buy from someone who tries to pull such a bait and switch on me. Such people are con men. If they lied about the price they are willing to sell for, who knows what lies they've told about the item they are selling?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It was a month since we shook hands. I updated him several times of my status. I think it is (was) a good deal, an unfired all German Walther P99QA in 9mm with a spare factory mag at $375.If he only asks no more than $50 I will probably still take it. Thanks for the advise

Even at $425, that's a FANTASTIC deal. Excellent, even. No matter the "generation" of it.

-J-

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Personally ,Id walk away,If there was a definite price agreed upon .The guy seems like he's getting greedy and seeing if you will pay more

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Don't buy. Unless it's a great price still. Price changing after agreeing is BS. I'd at least go to the 1500 and look around. Take your money and go to the 1500 this weekend. Find one of our site supporter folks and buy from them. But first I'd go tothe INGO table and pay $10 to become a site supporter. A few of the dealers are advertising supporters here and will cut you a break for being INGO site supporter. I know 21st century is one of them. They will take care of you.
    I'mnot sure who else gives the INGO SS discount but others may know and post it here for ya.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom