Hartford City Double Murder = Lockdown For Schools In 2 Counties?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Suspect on the run after father, daughter killed in Hartford City shooting | Fox 59

Here is the link to the article again and copied below in case it changes.

From Fox59

"HARTFORD CITY (Feb. 5, 2015) – Police in Hartford City and Blackford County continue to investigate a double murder that left a father and his teenage daughter dead.

Officers responded to Hartford Square Apartments in the 200 block of East Chestnut Street on a report of a possible shooting around 9:15 a.m. Officers arrived and found a man in the parking lot with an apparent gunshot wound to the head.

Officers then located a woman inside an apartment, also with an apparent gunshot wound to the head. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene.

Indiana State Police said one suspect is sought in the incident. Officers are looking for an older man with a grey ponytail and goatee. Police have not said why this happened or how the shooter knew the victims.

”I don’t believe that there’s any concern for the citizens,” Hartford City Police Chief Scott Mealy said.
    Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to contact the Blackford County sheriff’s office at 765-348-0930.

Schools in Blackford County and neighboring Jay County went on lockdown as a precautionary measure. The shooting did not happen at one of the schools, dispatchers said.

One unnamed neighbor, who lives across the hall, said she heard what happened.
    ”We heard stuff out in the hallway, like a ruckus, kind of like stuff being thrown around,” she said. “We started getting calls on our phone, the schools were getting locked down, next thing you know we heard scanners out in the hallway.”

The schools included in the lockdown were:

• Blackford High School
    • Hartford City Middle School
    • Northside School
    • Southside Elementary School
    • Jay County High School
    • East Jay Middle School

Here’s the alert from Blackford County school’s website:
    10:21 a.m.: BCS remains in an emergency lock down situation. Parents will not be able to pick-up students until the situation is clear.
    Parents we have been notified by law enforcement of a situation that has occurred in Hartford City that will require an immediate lockdown. If your child has already been picked up on a school bus he or she will be delivered to school. If your child has not been picked up or you were planning to transport your child, please keep them home and stand by for further information.
    We will notify you as soon as we receive additional information from law enforcement.
    Schools that were on lockdown Thursday will be back in session Friday.

“The investigation took us a different way, led us away from any involvement with the school,” Mealy said of student safety concerns.

The last murder in this small town of 6,000 people was in 1991."

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    RE: Schools on Lockdown... Read in the news recently about a school in or around Boston was locked down because some guy was walking down the street in a Yeti costume. "Shelter in place! The Abominable Snowman might getcha!"

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    Where was the suspect that was taken in to custody located? Near a school maybe? Maybe he had children in that school system or even ties the schools listed? Maybe he already killed a 14 year old what if he wanted to do more? I feel it was for safety and this isn't Indy, its a small community where the last person was killed in 1991, not within an hour or two unlike in Indy. Just my :twocents:. Flog me with tube socks and soap bars if you wish it is only the internet.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Where was the suspect that was taken in to custody located? Near a school maybe? Maybe he had children in that school system or even ties the schools listed? Maybe he already killed a 14 year old what if he wanted to do more? I feel it was for safety and this isn't Indy, its a small community where the last person was killed in 1991, not within an hour or two unlike in Indy. Just my :twocents:. Flog me with tube socks and soap bars if you wish it is only the internet.

Was he near A school, or was he near several schools across two counties?

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    School lockdowns are getting to be as bad as the weather !$^@^ we see on tv every time a cloud rolls by. Don't get me started....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Person of interest in custody in Hartford City double murder | Fox 59

Apparently we have an answer. :rolleyes:
    At one time, 55 years ago, the apartment building was a school and a shooting took place there as well. I'm sure this was immediately thought of when police were called and fully justifies the lockdown of all the others, ya know just to be sure. Those dang trouble spots, something always cropping up roughly ever half dozen decades.

From Fox59

"HARTFORD CITY, Ind. (Feb. 6, 2015) – Police in Hartford City have confirmed that a person of interest is in custody after a double homicide Thursday.

That man, who has not been identified, is in custody in Jay County where he was picked up.
    Police say they are not searching for other suspects.

The double murder left Shane Williamson, 40, and his daughter, 14-year-old Katelin Williamson, dead.

“I looked out and the whole block was packed with cops, and I yelled out what happened and they said somebody got shot to death, get back in your house,” said neighbor Jonda Wyatt.
    At Wyatt tried to make sense of that, others learned the same news.

“The entire parking lot was blocked off, no one could get to their cars or anything,” said neighbor Alissa Wilson.

Information from police has been slow to come out, and police have refused several interview requests after Thursday.

But a look back shows that Thursday isn’t the first time this building has seen tragedy. Another double murder happened in the same location on February 2, 1960 when it was a school.
    Newspaper reports from the time detailed that the school’s principal, Leonard Redden, a quiet man by all accounts, carried a shotgun into a classroom full of fifth graders, where, with a single shot, he killed their teacher, Harriet Robson.
    Then, papers say, Redden walked to the classroom of teacher Minnie McFerren, and shot and killed her at point-blank range in front of her room of fifth graders.
    Redden then drove to a nearby farm took his own life.

These articles from more than 50 years ago are a stark reminder of the violence seen here again.

“I know there’s gang activity in Hartford City, and you see these little cliques and everything, but it is scary that something could make this outcome so close to home,” Wilson said.
    As for the current investigation, police say they do believe this was isolated and no threat exists to the larger community.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Suspect on the run after father, daughter killed in Hartford City shooting | Fox 59

According to the article they locked down all the Blackford and Jay counties schools due to a double murder. Father found shot in the head in the parking lot and the daughter shot in the head in the apartment.

So help me out here, besides the daughter being a teenager what does this have to do with locking down the schools in two counties? The shooting didn't take place at a school and the suspect is listed as an older guy with a grey ponytail and goatee.

I live in Hartford City. The day this happened school was on a 2 hour delay and this occurred right at the time buses were out and kids were going to school. I received the call as I was pulling into my daughters school to drop her off, so we just turned around and came home. Killer on the loose with kids walking to school and school doors wide open with kids running in and out, I agree with a lock down. Sad part is that if it were not for the 2 hour delay, the daughter would probably have been at school. They locked down the other county because that is where the suspect was from and eventually found. A man that commits such a crime obviously has no morals and you have no idea what they are capable of, so why not protect the children at all costs?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe they should have locked down Illinois, Kentucky, and Ohio too. He might have run thereooof those states. They didn't know until they found him, and we gotta protect the children at all costs right?

Top Bottom