• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I bought the spring compressor and the Kimber tool. Taking apart my new Kimber is a "treat" so I need all the help I can get! I'm pondering the slide stop horn, but I haven't decided about that - what do you guys think?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I bought the spring compressor and the Kimber tool. Taking apart my new Kimber is a "treat" so I need all the help I can get! I'm pondering the slide stop horn, but I haven't decided about that - what do you guys think?

The slide stop horn works great. They sent me one as a "thank you" and I tried it on the tightest 1911 I have to reassemble...the Springfield in your avatar.
    LITERALLY.
    Which leads me to... Why is your avatar my Springfield?
    Just curious.
    I made that "poster" from my newest (at the time) purchase and some Zombie ammo that the camera flash made to look as if it glowed (which it really doesn't). Funny thing is, on another board that was my avatar for awhile, so I read your comment and thought "I don't remember posting that!" before it dawned on me. :laugh:

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I saw it on facebook, loved it and "borrowed" it... you have excellent taste in guns, ammo and humor!

And I ordered the slide stop horn.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I saw it on facebook, loved it and "borrowed" it... you have excellent taste in guns, ammo and humor!

And I ordered the slide stop horn.

Well that's cool. (Both). :yesway:
    By the way, if you didn't click it, here's Ron's video;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b76hs_NSEMk[/ame]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The slide stop horn works great. They sent me one as a "thank you" and I tried it on the tightest 1911 I have to reassemble...the Springfield in your avatar.
    LITERALLY.
    Which leads me to... Why is your avatar my Springfield?
    Just curious.
    I made that "poster" from my newest (at the time) purchase and some Zombie ammo that the camera flash made to look as if it glowed (which it really doesn't). Funny thing is, on another board that was my avatar for awhile, so I read your comment and thought "I don't remember posting that!" before it dawned on me. :laugh:

A 1/4 cock Springer...what...hard to believe.........:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well that's cool. (Both). :yesway:
    By the way, if you didn't click it, here's Ron's video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b76hs_NSEMk

I must be missing something. My slide does not line up with the slide stop hole unless I manually hold the slide in the right position to put it back in. In the video, he was not holding the slide at all. I'm at work or I would grab my 1911 and try to see what I am overlooking, so help me out here!:)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I must be missing something. My slide does not line up with the slide stop hole unless I manually hold the slide in the right position to put it back in. In the video, he was not holding the slide at all. I'm at work or I would grab my 1911 and try to see what I am overlooking, so help me out here!:)

Which model 1911 do you have and which model tool do you have?

There is a function difference between the KU-2012 and the KU-459.
    The KU-459 is for the Ultra models only and relies on the spring pressure of the inner spring to hold itself in place.

The KU-2012 tool relies on a magnet to hold itself to the guide rod whenever the slide is locked back, and it does not position the slide in the same manner as the KU-459 does.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Which model 1911 do you have and which model tool do you have?

There is a function difference between the KU-2012 and the KU-459.
    The KU-459 is for the Ultra models only and relies on the spring pressure of the inner spring to hold itself in place.

The KU-2012 tool relies on a magnet to hold itself to the guide rod whenever the slide is locked back, and it does not position the slide in the same manner as the KU-459 does.

SA Loaded Champion. Don't have any tool.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Have the same pistol. No special tool required. Are these specific to Kimbers?

Well, no tool is "required" but for the bushing-less reverse tapered barrel Ultra (3") and the Pro (4"), there's a little hole in the guide rod that you put a little "L" shaped paper clip tool through to take the tension off the spring so you can disassemble. You can do it without, but it's harder on the fingers.
    These little brass take down tools are just handy, faster, and not as easy to lose! :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well, I have a little plastic piece to relieve the tension on the guide rod spring like that brass one. But I thought the tool in the video was showing a way to compress the detent for the slide stop.

He has several tools for different applications. All of them are pretty dang slick. Click here.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    hey, I just have to say that 1911UltraTool has fantastic service and super fast shipment! I ordered Thrusday and received the order today!

I have a compact Kimber which is a total pain in the fingers to clean, so I'm actually excited to clean my gun!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    hey, I just have to say that 1911UltraTool has fantastic service and super fast shipment! I ordered Thrusday and received the order today!

I have a compact Kimber which is a total pain in the fingers to clean, so I'm actually excited to clean my gun!

He's a really good guy, too!
    Post up an AAR (After Action Report) when you use it!
    And also... I'm saddened that I am no longer honored in the space of your avatar. Boooooo.

Top Bottom