• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Looking at options for my trip to FL later this year.

Looking at this hard cover box Thule 686 Atlantis 1600 (Black) but spending anywhere from $350 (used) to $650 (new) seems like a lot for a box that will get used once this week and once next year for the Dells.

I know there are canvans waterpoof bags like these:
    Waterproof Car Top Carriers | Cars With Or Without Rack | USA-Made. Car Top Carriers have 2-yr warranty | Take your Golf Bag, Camping Gear, Luggage

that runfor much, much less $30 to $150.
    So does anyone have any experience with the canvas or hard cover boxes?
    Note on the hard cover boxes I've done my research and I'm ONLY willing to go with Thule. I do have the budget for the hard cover but it seems I won't get enough use out of it tjustify the cost and would rather use the money for the trip instead of the box/bag.

Vehicle = 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All I can add to this is…

We went on vacation last summer with a couple who barrowed a van and used a soft bag carrier. It worked to hold their items just fine, however the van had no roof rack. The bag attached in some manor, but the weight of the items in the bag caved in the roof. The van now has a dent in the roof and water will pool in it.

So all I can say is, I hope your vehicle has some cross supports so the carrier doesn’t rest all the weight on the roofs sheet metal and cave it in.

If you have a trailer hitch on the caravan look at a hitch rack. With a soft carrier that can fit in it or even plastic totes. I have one for my Jeep Liberty and have even put luggage in plastic bags and everything stayed dry.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've used Yakima racks for 6.5'-11' whitewater kayaks, 17' sea kayaks, sunfish sailboats, bikes, lumber, ladders, tires, christmas trees, pipe and even a good friend.

2011-10-15_11-33-47_810.jpg

I've used the cargo bags before: cumbersome and prone to damage, both to the car and the bag.

Hard shell boxes by Yakima and Thule are pricey but worth every penny.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We had a canvas bag and while it was waterproof we used it a ton and it damaged the finish on the car over time. Now we have a hard Thule case that can fit 2 suitcases + duffles and it's awesome. Storage is a pain, however it's well worth the lack of luggage inside the minivan.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have the same mini van. I don't like using the hitch Cargo rack because you can't open the back hatch to get stuff out with out removing the items from the hitch cargo rack. If you go that route I would make sure your license Plate is not covered by the box. I just mount it to the hitch rack.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    You have seen the rack system on my brothers truck at the Meet and Shoot. It is a pretty good system. I will tell him to come on here and give you his 2 cents on this. Maybe it will help you out

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I have the soft case. We have used it a few times, and its been no problem. We could get most of our stuff in it, which was nice as we had 4 people inside our SUV when we last went to northern Wisconsin. We smashed through a heck of a rainstorm on the way back, and everything was dry when we got home.

Really its up to you, do you have the ability to store the hard case? Is that what you want?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Keep the comments coming.

1) I don't have a way to attach a trailer to the van
    2) I don't have a way to attach those cargo boxed to the back of the van
    3) I do have a roof rack system on the top of the van already
    4) Storage of the hard box after the trip is not an issue there is room in the garage for it or shed or off site.

The main issue is why I have budgeted $600 for such an item looking ove rmy budget I just can't really justify spending $400-$600 for such an item that I'm only going to use once a year! I have been looking on craiglist, ebay, and yard sales as well and have found a few for ~ $400 but still it's for an item I'm only going to use once or twice.

I think I would rather spend that money on something cheaper, or rent one (is that possible)??? and use the rest of the money for other vacation stuff.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Keep the comments coming.

1) I don't have a way to attach a trailer to the van
    2) I don't have a way to attach those cargo boxed to the back of the van
    3) I do have a roof rack system on the top of the van already
    4) Storage of the hard box after the trip is not an issue there is room in the garage for it or shed or off site.

The main issue is why I have budgeted $600 for such an item looking ove rmy budget I just can't really justify spending $400-$600 for such an item that I'm only going to use once a year! I have been looking on craiglist, ebay, and yard sales as well and have found a few for ~ $400 but still it's for an item I'm only going to use once or twice.

I think I would rather spend that money on something cheaper, or rent one (is that possible)??? and use the rest of the money for other vacation stuff.
    I seem to recall U-Haul used to have something like the hard cases... :dunno:

Top Bottom