• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Looking to purchase the H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle Survivor in .308 and order a 12g barrel with it as well.
    H&R Survivor® Shotgun

Anyone have much experience with the handi rifles? Accuracy/Recoil (in this particular model)

It seems people either say they're very accurate or they're terrible lol. Just looking for a few more opinions whether good or bad before I make my purchase.

Thanks in advance. :patriot:

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    It depends on which website your on.They either love them or hate them. I've had 4 and my father has one and my son in law has one. I've shot all six and none of them shot accurate. I sent one back and Illion rebarreled it. They attached a target sample that had a 1.8" group. I tried the gun with 8 factory loads and I've reloaded 357 for 40 years and couldn't get a group to stay on the target. My other rifles are very accurate and have spoiled me. The Handis were just not fun to shoot. I tried to buy my last one at my local gunshop. He told me that he doesn't stock them because they all come back for accuacy. He told me that he would order one but with the understanding that they have accuracy issues. I should have listened to him.

Last edited:

tom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    i have one in 30-.06 it is a great rifle .i have a cheap scope on it and it is accurate.I dont think u can beat them for the money.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Lol, case in point for the above two posts :D

I do appreciate the responses though that way I will at least be forewarned if I get one of the "unlucky" ones haha.

From my understanding Graybeardoutdoors has a great section on the Handi-Rifle in their forums that tells how to fix pretty well any encountered problems. Just a suggestion incase you still have yours and want to try and fix them.

I am pretty well sold on them from what I have read. I have some very gun savvy friends that can probably help with anything I can't solve on my own. When I get it and try it out I'll post up its accuracy and if there were any hiccups.(and if they were fixable)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have had several and currently have a Survivor version in .308. For the money these are very good rifles. I soon will be buying one in .357

I bought my .308 (used) originally to try out a .32acp chamber insert. The target below was shot at 50 yards, resting on my range bag with 147 gr FMJ I think. I just popped two rounds to see where the .308 was hitting before using the insert. As you can see, the 2 rounds were about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and I am sure I could have tightened that up a bit with more care.

Last edited:

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I've heard that they were "Handi"! :joke:

Seriously though, I've shot one in 22lr and a 12 gauge and they were pretty good. I'm currently looking for one in 243 for my Dad.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lol, case in point for the above two posts :D

I do appreciate the responses though that way I will at least be forewarned if I get one of the "unlucky" ones haha.

From my understanding Graybeardoutdoors has a great section on the Handi-Rifle in their forums that tells how to fix pretty well any encountered problems. Just a suggestion incase you still have yours and want to try and fix them.

I am pretty well sold on them from what I have read. I have some very gun savvy friends that can probably help with anything I can't solve on my own. When I get it and try it out I'll post up its accuracy and if there were any hiccups.(and if they were fixable)

I've got one in 223, 45-70, and 44 mag. The key words here are "for the money".

If a guy thinks he's going to take one out of the box and compare it to his 1000 dollar rifles with Luepold scopes then he's likely to be disappointed.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Nah, I'm not expecting it to be the best rifle you can purchase lol. I just want the most for my dollar for the time being to hold me over. I just wanted to make sure that they were reliable, relatively accurate, and no extreme defects that can't be cured. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Nah, I'm not expecting it to be the best rifle you can purchase lol. I just want the most for my dollar for the time being to hold me over. I just wanted to make sure that they were reliable, relatively accurate, and no extreme defects that can't be cured. :D

They have an excellant warranty and what ever the defect is percieved or real will be taken care of promptly. I've used the barrel accessory program, trigger work and had an obvious owner abuse problem fixed. I'm well satisfied with the product, service, and warranty.

Top Bottom