• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I have never noticed someone carrying a smaller single stack gun, or even a revolver. I have been surprised a few times when someone mentioned they were carrying and then showed me. On the other hand, I see people carrying larger firearms pretty often. Just last week at sams club I noticed someone printing what I took to be a full size XD and not five minutes later noticed someone with a 1911. I guess that is a not single stack gun, but it is sure not small!

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You would be surprised at how easy a full size can be with the right holster and belt. I regularly wear polo shirts ( that arent 2 sizes too big) and carry a government 1911 without printing at all. When I am layered for the cold weather, its just one more thing that adds even more weight.

Maybe I should start with getting a Crossbreed for my full size XDm and go from there. Would save some cash on the front end.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This has me thinking if I should try my revolver IWB before I spend $400 on a Shield. I have never tried it and I am assuming that it would be uncomfortable IWB with the width of the cylinder.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    As several others have said, I'm in the camp of whatever works best for you. It might be that is a high capacity gun, and it might not. Or, it might be that you place a greater weight on capacity than some other factors. As a pretty short, small framed guy (who doesn't yet carry but will and who has played around with some configurations at home) and as someone who cycles and backpacks and works primarily outdoors, I have a lot of things to consider. Granted, probably no more or less than anyone else but maybe some less common considerations, FWIW. It is very important to me to have a mouse gun that I can shoot well and tuck away easily, but I also want something else for EDC when I can dress to accommodate. Capacity really isn't that important to me - I want to be able to carry it comfortably, confidently, and to be able to draw and shoot with quick accuracy and reliability if I ever need to use it. I would rather carry an extra magazine and be forced to train and think a little bit more tactically than try to force a high capacity gun to work on my person because I'm worried about round counts. I don't know that there is a magic number or that you can ever be well enough armed in the event you need to be either. That said, I completely understand other logic than my own on this one.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm a little guy 5'9" 165lbs. I carry a full size 1911 in the back around 5 o clock position. I find that the holster being used makes a lot of the difference on whether you are printing or not. I carry in dress clothes sometimes and the only thing to be noticed is clips that are on my belt unless i bend over to pick something up then i print a little. I think you can have the best of both worlds. I have a friend that carry's a compact USP .45 and you can't tell he's carrying. He's a much bigger guy than I am.

I find the biggest issue is the weight of the gun. I carried a Sig Scorpion 1911 for a little while but it was too heavy for my liking. When I was at a urinal or something it would try to pull my pants down. I carried a para 1911 that was really light for a 1911. I don't know if it was an aluminum frame or carbon steel or what but I had a lot of high end internals, fitted frame to slide and had a fitted barrel. It was my favorite 1911 I've ever carried. Now I'm carrying an old stainless Colt 1911 and it's a happy medium. I've carried a Glock 19 and didn't print. I did print when I carried a Sig P226 so I would just open carry when I had it. I also carried a Glock 22 old police trade in. I just open carried it as well. The P226 printed less than the Glock and I had a higher round count.

Like said before. Carry what you can shoot and get the right equipement to carry it.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Why is everyone so worried about printing, I have carried for 5 years now IWB, Im a 6' 200 lb guy and don't have much cushion and have never had anyone notice my gun on me. The only people that look for guns are the other ones that carry them. Larry Liberal is fully unaware to the fact that at any moment while out in public there could be a few different firearms around him at all times.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I shoot single stacks better, they just fit my hand well. For example, I could never get used to Glocks. I think they are a great gun but I just never warmed up to them. Now give me a 1911 or a CZ and I am one happy camper! As far as a pistol printing, I don't worry about it. A lot of times I do carry my LCP because it's so darn convenient but I will carry something larger either OC or CC sometimes.

Last edited:

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Why is everyone so worried about printing, I have carried for 5 years now IWB, Im a 6' 200 lb guy and don't have much cushion and have never had anyone notice my gun on me. The only people that look for guns are the other ones that carry them. Larry Liberal is fully unaware to the fact that at any moment while out in public there could be a few different firearms around him at all times.

Some of us have to deep conceal to keep from a unwanted outcome; work, hospitals, doctor's office, restaurants and other GFZ.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    Thanks for that advice. Im going to look into a magazine holster of sorts. I cant afford having if fall out of my pocket during the day, and i dont want to have my purse with me all the time...i have carried my firearm in my purse for awhile and i hated it. I think your right though about having a second mag easily accessable just in case.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Some of us have to deep conceal to keep from a unwanted outcome; work, hospitals, doctor's office, restaurants and other GFZ.

I do understand this reasoning, this is why I carry my SR9c to work and not my 1911, I carry my LCP to meetings with clients for this same reason. It just seemed ppl were saying that for all situations

Just remember a compact gun such as a glock 19 appendix carry leave little to no printing on a guy my size and I don't have a pooch to cover it up

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I have never noticed someone carrying a smaller single stack gun, or even a revolver. I have been surprised a few times when someone mentioned they were carrying and then showed me. On the other hand, I see people carrying larger firearms pretty often. Just last week at sams club I noticed someone printing what I took to be a full size XD and not five minutes later noticed someone with a 1911. I guess that is a not single stack gun, but it is sure not small!
    ya but your a gun guy, your avrage person wont see you let alone the gun there to busy on there phones

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Maybe I should start with getting a Crossbreed for my full size XDm and go from there. Would save some cash on the front end.

I am currently using a Galco holster that is of that same design. This style of holster has been the easiest way to conceal a large pistol that I have found. Just an FYI, Galco, DeSantis, and Crossbreed all have similar designs for that type holster. The biggest difference I have found between them is the clips that hold it to the belt. I have not had a crossbreed, but the ones I have seen look to be similar to the clips on my Galco holster. The Galco works, but with some belts and pants, it has a tendency to ride up on me, and need pushed down to stay clipped to the belt. If this becomes an issue for you with the holster you choose, DeSantis uses a Kydex clip that is a bit more trouble to attach tot he belt, but once it is on, it stays on, until you take it off. Both have their merits, just happened that I bought a Galco first, and havent broken down to spend the money on a DeSantis holster yet.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I was having all kinds of awkwardness with several types of on-belt holsters worn with dress pants. following advice I read in some gun magazine, I purchased one of those wider belts you see for sale at gun shows. That DID make quite a difference. Dress belts are about one inch wide. Going with thicker leather and up to 1.25 inches wide solved lots of comfort and function issues. The article suggested 1.5 inch, but that's pretty ambitious for dress pants.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    :n00b::n00b::ugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    At the end of the day, its the gun u have with you that will matter. If that's a 454, good for u. Of its a 22, that's still better than your fist. Who cares about caliber or capacity if you leave it at home? Carry what's easy to carry.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Watch those self defense videos on that other post. most shoot outs are over in a couple shots. carry what you want and what feels best to you.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    If you have the luxury of having a single stack for warmer weather and a compact double stack for the winter in my opinion you have the best of both worlds. When I am all bundled up as has been the case this winter and out taking care of chores in the darkness after 5pm why not step up capacity. I also agree with the post above this one you have to be comfortable with the gun you are carrying. If you do not practice shooting and handling your weapon to be prepared in a life or death situation to use it then you might as well be carrying a stick.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    At the end of the day, its the gun u have with you that will matter. If that's a 454, good for u. Of its a 22, that's still better than your fist. Who cares about caliber or capacity if you leave it at home? Carry what's easy to carry.

I don't think anyone was trying to compare the caliber or capacity of carried guns with guns left at home. :dunno:

That wouldn't even be a rational comparison.

Top Bottom