• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    More and more we see members of INGO buying single stack handguns to carry. Lots of them are also starting to carry the smaller "mouse" guns in .380. Now, with the new Glock 42, the largest complaint, minus not being a 9mm, is the actual size of th gun.

Are double stack high capacity handguns such as the Glock 19 and M&P Full Size as carry guns just not popular anymore?

Are people willing to sacrifice those extra rounds for more concealment? For the people who ARE carrying the lower capacity guns, do you carry an extra magazine as well?

Are single stack handguns really that much better to shoot than a double stack?

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have some experience in this so I'll comment. The first handgun I bought for CC was a Taurus PT709S. Leaving aside the fact that it was a Taurus it was a moderately reliable gun. It was finickey on ammo but that's another story. It is a single stack 9mm and it was very thin and light. It was fairly easy to conceal and weighed almost nothing. That being said, it was one of the most unconfortable guns to shoot that I have ever laid hands on. I'm sure there are worse out there but I haven't shot them yet. In any case, I opted to go for a double stack gun myself, namely the G17 so I sold the Taurus and have never regretted it. I know the G17 is bigger and harder to conceal but to me, the added weight, sight radius and mag capacity are worth it. I personally find full size handguns easier to shoot and so that's what I carry. However I think that the single-stack craze is mostly based on comfort and ease of carry. Just my opinion though. When I did carry the Taurus I would also carry an extra mag with it. I think it might also be a hand size issue as well. A lot reviews that I read about the single stack "mouse guns" is that they feel good in hand and are easy to get a good grip on since the grip is so thin. I personally don't care for them much myself but again, that's just my :twocents:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    As to shootability, it depends on the gun. The XD-S and Shield, from my experience, are easy to shoot pretty well with just a little practice. Not as easy, as, say an FNS, G17 or 19, XD, etc, but not bad. They're also about as small as I can go and still maintain a good first shot on target in a quick manner. The smaller guns, like a CM9, I can shoot well - with slowing myself down and concentration.

The slimmer grip doesn't lend itself to easy shooting in my hands - to a point, I can't handle, say, a G21 - but it does carry a little easier.

My relative-newbie wifey has ended up coming to the same conclusion. She started out with a BG380, then a Nano, now a G26. It's about as small as she wants to go because it's over the threshold, so to speak. The G26 gives her more grip (less twisting possible, locks in the hands easier) than a single stack, but still gives concealability and is easy to shoot fast and accurately.

Me, I've got to pocket carry during the day at work. That being said, I've given up on mouseguns and carry an XD-S 45. Still slim enough to conceal, JUST large enough to shoot pretty well - at least better than micro guns like the LCP and such.

I'm just not willing to compromise any further in my daily carry. On my days off, FNS 9 with 17+1 rounds on my hip.

If the balloon goes up, so to speak, my tool for the moment needs to get the job done. Let the caliber battle commence, if it will, but I'm just not willing to go to the micro gun that I can't shoot quickly and accurately just so I can say I'm carrying. I realize ANY gun you carry is better than the one you leave at home, but I'm willing to adjust my carry methodology and live with the extra weight of something big enough to shoot well. And if I didn't have my excess gut to contend with, I'd at LEAST be carrying a G26 or G27 IWB daily - but until (!) the weight comes off more, I go OWB when not at work.

And I ALWAYS carry a spare mag or two no matter what gun I'm carrying.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For concealed carry, barrel length is less of an issue than thickness and grip length. That is what makes the "bulge". A round butt K frame with a 4 inch barrel hides easier than a 2" N frame. That is part of why the 5 shot J frames carry so well, the cylinder is smaller diameter. Same with semi autos, a "compact" with a thick grip frame makes more bulge than a midsize with an abreviated grip length single stack.

I know there are people out there that have modified their wardrobe and can accomodate a full sized, compensated, doublestack with a 44mm aimpoint and an extended mag. Most common clothing styles do better with a thinner handgun with a shorter grip.

Like single stack points out, you have to be able to actually shoot the firearm also, something I personally cannot do with some of the really compact .380 pistols on the market.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I won't go with the compact or mouse gun trend, because I want the capacity and I have never felt comfortable shooting them with my big ol' bear paw hands. I'll stick to full size pistols.

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    I went from a single stack P6 to a glock 19 because concealability is the same, weight is less and capacity is double. The more I carried the more unconfortable I became with only having 9 rounds in the gun should i ever need it an not be able to reload. I will eventually buy a 42 for those occasions that deep concealment is necessary and would cause me to leave my 19 at home or in the truck. Anything is better than nothing, but when i dont have a need to pocket carry I feel more comfortable with the double stack capacity.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    My first carry gun was a Sig P229 .357 sig and with that I always carried 1 extra mag. I own a Ruger Snub .357, a Kahr k9 and t-9 but I still primarily carry my 1911. I wear an OWB holster and in the winter my hoodie or coat covers it and in summer I leave my t shirt or polo shirt untucked and it conceals it enough. I also usually have a double mag pouch on my belt or back pocket of my jeans as well. I find that it's not any more difficult to conceal a 1911 than it was with the Sig. I am not a big fan of IWB or appendix carry where the compact size of the kahrs would help make carry more comfortable and if your going to use an OWB holster you might as well carry what you shoot the best and for me that is my 1911.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    As to shootability, it depends on the gun. The XD-S and Shield, from my experience, are easy to shoot pretty well with just a little practice. Not as easy, as, say an FNS, G17 or 19, XD, etc, but not bad. They're also about as small as I can go and still maintain a good first shot on target in a quick manner. The smaller guns, like a CM9, I can shoot well - with slowing myself down and concentration.

The slimmer grip doesn't lend itself to easy shooting in my hands - to a point, I can't handle, say, a G21 - but it does carry a little easier.

My relative-newbie wifey has ended up coming to the same conclusion. She started out with a BG380, then a Nano, now a G26. It's about as small as she wants to go because it's over the threshold, so to speak. The G26 gives her more grip (less twisting possible, locks in the hands easier) than a single stack, but still gives concealability and is easy to shoot fast and accurately.

Me, I've got to pocket carry during the day at work. That being said, I've given up on mouseguns and carry an XD-S 45. Still slim enough to conceal, JUST large enough to shoot pretty well - at least better than micro guns like the LCP and such.

I'm just not willing to compromise any further in my daily carry. On my days off, FNS 9 with 17+1 rounds on my hip.

If the balloon goes up, so to speak, my tool for the moment needs to get the job done. Let the caliber battle commence, if it will, but I'm just not willing to go to the micro gun that I can't shoot quickly and accurately just so I can say I'm carrying. I realize ANY gun you carry is better than the one you leave at home, but I'm willing to adjust my carry methodology and live with the extra weight of something big enough to shoot well. And if I didn't have my excess gut to contend with, I'd at LEAST be carrying a G26 or G27 IWB daily - but until (!) the weight comes off more, I go OWB when not at work.

And I ALWAYS carry a spare mag or two no matter what gun I'm carrying.

This ^^^ is my mindset as well, I can't really find anything from Wes I would disagree with. I've tried shooting smaller guns like the XD-S, Kahr, etc., but my long piano fingers don't seem to work as well with single stacks. I know I could commit more time to be reasonably proficient with these platforms, as they ARE great guns. The question I had to ask is that given the limited amount of range time I can squeeze into my schedule, do I stick with what I know works and keep improving on it, or compromise to something that doesn't work quite as well (for me) and play catch-up? In the end, I opted to go with what I know works... the smallest carry that I can shoot accurately/quickly is in the SR9C/SR40C range, and I go with a carry rig that makes it work out. Also, I *do* like the extra capacity I get from a double stack. I hope the time never comes, but if it does, I definitely want one more round than I need... I'm not completely keen on having a "the average gun fight is X number of rounds" mindset.

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    More and more we see members of INGO buying single stack handguns to carry. Lots of them are also starting to carry the smaller "mouse" guns in .380. Now, with the new Glock 42, the largest complaint, minus not being a 9mm, is the actual size of th gun.

Are double stack high capacity handguns such as the Glock 19 and M&P Full Size as carry guns just not popular anymore?

Are people willing to sacrifice those extra rounds for more concealment? For the people who ARE carrying the lower capacity guns, do you carry an extra magazine as well?

I've always carried single stack 1911 with 2 extra mags. I never liked the feel of a double stack grip. Hot summer days I carry a Colt Mustang .380, just easier to conceal.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For most concealment carry, I find either a mid-size 1911 or Glock 19/23 works very well. How much ammo I carry depends on where I'm going. For most times, I'm comfortable with a compact 1911 and a pair of spare mags but if I'm going into the city, I'll opt for the Glock 23 and one spare mag. I usually carry a Sig P238 as a BUG holstered in my pocket and even that has a pair of spare mags. In my opinion, the popularity of the smaller single stack guns designed for concealment is driven by how easy they are to have on you all day long. That, along with the belief that 8 rounds of decent SD ammo will serve you well in the majority of situations makes them a very popular choice. For those of us that are into guns and take them seriously, the idea of carrying a low capacity gun without a spare mag is unacceptable but for the majority of new gun owners that have no desire to own a collection but simply want to have the means of protecting their family while out and about, the highly concealable gun gives them just that.

I'll admit that from time to time, I go overboard with what I carry and will pack a Glock 20sf with two spare mags. Realistically, my chances of needing 46 rounds of 10mm is smaller than my chances of hitting the lottery but sometimes it makes me feel better to carry that way anyway. On an average day, I'm quite comfortable with a carry package that gives me 20 plus rounds of either .45 acp or .40 S&W.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

Still EDC my G19, never owned a .380. I don't have a problem concealing the 19 and it rides fine all day. I don't see a need to get a mouse gun really, the thickness of the slide doesn't bother me, nor the length. Nothing wrong with them per say but not for me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My preferred handguns have always been single stacks or revolvers. They just fit my hand better than any double stack I've tried, from Beretta, Glock, CZ, S&W, and probably some others I've tried. Its not just in my head, the target and timer back it up. Trust me, I've tried to find a higher capacity gun I shoot as well as my P220 or 1911. I haven't. Since its a trade off, I prefer speed and accuracy to capacity.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I like my Kahr CM9 single stack. However it would be nice to carry something with a higher capacity. The smaller single stack 9s do jump quite a bit. I haven't been able to get off rapid fire very accurately...I guess it depends on what your consideration of accurately is. I can empty all 6/7 rounds into an 8x11 target at 7 yards / 21 feet. I've held a glock 27 and a glock 17. The grips are so much wider! I could barely get my hands around them. I'm going to try shooting a g17 @ Indy Trading Post and see if I like it.

The CM9 conceals extremely well IWB Remora holster. I couldn't give one complaint about carry comfort. I'm a bit worried about bigger, heavier, thicker guns though. Not sure how well they'd conceal 5'10 145~ lbs.

my :twocents:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Everyone has individual needs and tolerances for concealed carry, I guess that why there are so many different options. I prefer the Glock 26 or 27 with the magazine extension for a full grip. These guns are easy to shoot and very accurate for close and distance shooting. I am 5'9" 145lbs and I can conceal these guns very comfortably in my Crossbreed supertuck holster.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    For me, shootability trumps everything else. Being able to score hits quickly is the number one consideration. If you can do that with one of those tiny guns then good on you. I can't and have no interest in putting in the time to gain that ability with something I don't like to shoot in the first place. If you carry a gun to defend your life then it would seem the only logical gun to carry is the one you shoot the best. It's Indiana, who cares if you print. You could wear a shirt that had huge lettering that says I CARRY A GUN and most people still wouldn't notice.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    For me, shootability trumps everything else. Being able to score hits quickly is the number one consideration. If you can do that with one of those tiny guns then good on you. I can't and have no interest in putting in the time to gain that ability with something I don't like to shoot in the first place. If you carry a gun to defend your life then it would seem the only logical gun to carry is the one you shoot the best. It's Indiana, who cares if you print. You could wear a shirt that had huge lettering that says I CARRY A GUN and most people still wouldn't notice.

Pretty much what I was trying to get across. You just did it better than me. :)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    This is my view on carrying, but I do understand those that have a need to fully conceal and not just cover it up.

If I choose to conceal I just pull my shirt over my owb holster. Having said that, I don't care if I print or not and that has no effect on my decision to carry a larger or smaller handgun. How I make my decision:

#1: How many rounds I have at my disposal without the need for an extra magazine.
    #2: The size and shape of the grip. I have large hands that do not work with small frame handguns.
    #3: My level of comfort with said handgun including a balance of not too small or too big.
    #4: Weight.

These are listed in no certain order, but using those parameters I have ended up with the M&P9c as my choice. Double stack, compact frame, over 10 rounds, interchangeable backstraps, fits my grip better than the G26, and I shoot more accurately with it as opposed to the G26 too.

Last edited:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I actually shoot better with my smaller single stacks than I do with a fullsize or a double stack. There are exceptions, like my USPc and P99, but for the most part I can't get a comfortable grip on a double stack handgun. I don't have very big hands and I prefer to have a full wrap around the grip of a gun.

Disclaimer: I'm a revolver guy

Top Bottom