• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    Well its tax-time again and time for the yearly ritual. I am having to decide do I buy the FN Herstal 5.7 Pistol which is probably not gonna be available for very much longer ( or do you guys think this is B/S) there is talk of trying to take it off the market. OR my other option is picking up an AR pistol or possibly even building one. Either way I am stuck I like both alot. Would appreciate any opinions on both and a little testament from anyone who has either of these two pieces of hardware......
    Also I have a colt AR and I love it, but its not a pistol. Just really a cosmetic thing that I kind of like, its the whole assault weapon look....:ar15::ar15:

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I like the AR & AK pistols, they look pretty bad *** and quite fun to shoot. But realize they are primarily a novelty. Most people would not try to carry one and have choices for the longer shots.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I'd pass on both. The FN57 pistols are great shooting guns but they are overpriced and so is the ammo (imho). Also, the AR pistols are not worth it if you already have an AR (imho).

For $1000 or so I'd probably get something else. Get a Kel-tec PLR22 or PLR16. A lot less expensive and a lot of fun to shoot.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    The AR pistol seems cool, looks cool, feels cool to shoot, but probably wont last long in your collection. Had the bug, purchased, fired, and sold; bug problem cured!

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I love my AR pistol. I have been thinking of SBRing it but I kind of like not having to pay for the stamp and having to send updates to the gub'ment whenever I move etc. I definitely don't have any buyers remorse. I think if you have an AR already an AR pistol makes sense because you can use the same spare parts, ammo, mags etc. I have never shot a 5.7 but would like to. They also make 5.7 uppers for ARs so you could make the switch on your AR to 5.7 as well. Here's what my pistol currently looks like:

DSC01378.jpg

Last edited:

Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    I would like it either for a couple reasons, collection, shootability, make sure it is not something that drastically loses value as soon as I buy it. Most of my collection is under lock and key 24 hrs a day, but I do like to take them out and give it He** every once in a while. Then its take them home clean'em up and back in the safe....

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have and like the FNH Five-seveN. If you are careful, you can find ammo for the same price as quality .223. Right now Midway has 5.7x28 for just over $700 for a 2000 round case. About the same price for lower end brass case .223. The big difference is the Five-seveN is just a little more concealable than an AR15 "pistol".

Just my opinion

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I would like it either for a couple reasons, collection, shootability, make sure it is not something that drastically loses value as soon as I buy it. Most of my collection is under lock and key 24 hrs a day, but I do like to take them out and give it He** every once in a while. Then its take them home clean'em up and back in the safe....

In that case, if it's just for fun and you want want it to maintain its value (i.e. be easier to sell in the future), I'd probably go with the AR pistol. If the 5.7x28mm cartridge doesn't develop much following, ammo will become scarce, and it may be more difficult to sell the FN in the future (unless you can find the right collector).

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have an AR pistol, they are fun, and yes they are loud, and the recoil is not as bad as you would think. But they are hard to hold straight out in front of you and shoot.

a5-50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Give a Sig 556 pistol a look. I have both & prefer the sig. It does not have that stupid buffer tube on the back. Then if you SBR it you can add a folding stock. It will hold its value alot longer too. The only downside is the price. But you might find a deal on a used one.

Top Bottom