• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hales718

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I'm going to be in Fort Wayne this week and I'm wondering what the laws are about shooting in the backyard. They have a lot of land surrounded with woods and a good backing, but they were recently moved into "city limits." Since my parents will be home and they gave approval to do some target shooting, is it still illegal to shoot on their property since it is within the new "city limits?"

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I'm pretty sure it's off-limits if it's in a "residential area", which automatically includes city limits. It's been awhile since I've looked into it, but I'm pretty sure JohnP82 is correct.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    In the 3rd edition of Indiana Firearms law book for Fort Wayne just talks about hunting. Like has been said before I would think no city allows firing
    in city limits. You may have to do some looking on the city web page or maybe DNR sight.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I live in Fort Wayne and my understanding is it is illegal to shoot within city limits no matter how much room you have available.

Not saying we have not done it at buddy's houses years ago but lately cops here have been real asses so I would not attempt it.

I believe the only real place to shoot is H&H on industrial park but when I called them they are handgun only and 12/hr or 15/day with a 5 dollar yearly membership (seems like a rip off to me).

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I believe the only real place to shoot is H&H on industrial park but when I called them they are handgun only and 12/hr or 15/day with a 5 dollar yearly membership (seems like a rip off to me).

They do allow .22 rifles, and if you get the year or 6 month full membership you can shoot larger caliber rifles. I believe one of their ranges is a dedicated rifle range. Their yearly fee is $200, though. If you plan on going there more than 1 to 2 times a month it is worth it.

I wonder how H&H has permission to allow shooting within city limits?

Isn't it just a city ordinance, anyways? I wouldn't think you'd get more than a fine if you ran into trouble.

Top Bottom