• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One of my close friends just sent me a text that his wife, who was very anti-gun has suddenly had a change of heart and wants her LTCH and a handgun. She is literally 5' nothing and 100 lbs, in hear early 20's. Very small frame and probably very recoil sensitive. My thought was a compact gun that fits her small hands but full metal frame to keep weigh up and recoil down but open to any and all suggestions.

I recommended 9mm over .380 because of performance and ammo availability. He wants suggestions for specific models that they should go check out. Big bonus is if the gun is pink or can get pink grips for it.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    First thing he wants to make sure of is that she can rack the slide. My youngest daughter is about the same size and she had a heck of a time racking many slides.

we did go 9mm with her in an HK USP Compact. She now carries an HK30
    She can also work Glocks.

The best thing to do is get her in a gun store, let her handle as many as she can, find a fit for her hand that she can work the slide.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Have her try a Bersa Thunder .380. It's a great gun and you can pick one up around $350 out the door most places. My wife is a small woman and she absolutely loves her Bersa. I have to admit it is truly a pleasure to shoot and 2000 rounds later we have yet to have a problem with it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    He body size is moot. Her grip capacity (how wide a grip can she hold--I'm not really sure what it's called), finger length, and grip and wrist strength are all that matters.

To that end, she'll have to handle them. Then she'll have to shoot them.

It might be beneficial to start her out on a .22 so she can get used to the mechanics of shooting and overcome the fear of the unknown without the recoil. When she's comfortable, add recoil to the mix and let her deal with just that one thing.

One thing to note: much of recoil sensitivity is the sensitivity to the sound, not the actual gun movement. Doubling up the ear pro (muffs over plugs) can help out tremendously.

I happen to like Glocks (even if I can't EDC a full-size model because of short fingers). I love the HK P30 as well, but I'm not a big fan of DA/SA firearms (and Bradis doesn't carry HK), so I don't have one yet. It has adjustable grips too. Bonus!

I like Ruger, but I think the LC9 might be too small if she doesn't like muzzle flip/recoil or has trouble with racking the slide. SR9c perhaps? Kahr has some good options too. M&P Shield is thin and easy to carry.

She's just gonna have to paw some and figure it out through trial and error.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    He body size is moot. Her grip capacity (how wide a grip can she hold--I'm not really sure what it's called), finger length, and grip and wrist strength are all that matters.

It might be beneficial to start her out on a .22 so she can get used to the mechanics of shooting and overcome the fear of the unknown without the recoil. When she's comfortable, add recoil to the mix and let her deal with just that one thing.

One thing to note: much of recoil sensitivity is the sensitivity to the sound, not the actual gun movement. Doubling up the ear pro (muffs over plugs) can help out tremendously.

I happen to like Glocks (even if I can't EDC a full-size model because of short fingers). I love the HK P30 as well, but I'm not a big fan of DA/SA firearms (and Bradis doesn't carry HK), so I don't have one yet. It has adjustable grips too. Bonus!

I like Ruger, but I think the LC9 might be too small if she doesn't like muzzle flip/recoil or has trouble with racking the slide. SR9c perhaps? Kahr has some good options too. M&P Shield is thin and easy to carry.

+1

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    that would be my first suggestion for anyone new to firearms. OP however did not ask for revolver suggestions
    Revolver certainly isn't out of the question but J-frames tend to have heavy recoil with defense ammo so we'd have to look a bit bigger than that. Really at this point, I think they're just looking for some guidance on what models to seek out. I suggested to just go get their hands on some but neither one own guns so I think he's just wanting to go as prepared as possible. He is actually looking for me to compile a list of suggested makes/models so I'm just going for some suggestions.

Also, .380 isn't out of the question either but the lesser availability of ammo does concern me especially right now. They are going to need ammo to practice with so something with a bit more availability may be best and 9mm is arguably the most popular handgun caliber.

Hand size matches her stature, very small. She is a tooth-pick so definitely some concern with the overall grip size and the muzzle flip.

They are going to look sometime soon they just don't know what to look for...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hand size matches her stature, very small. She is a tooth-pick so definitely some concern with the overall grip size and the muzzle flip.
    Understood. It generally holds true that small stature means small hands, but not vice versa. I'm 5'7" and, well, more than 100lbs and have short fingers.

All the other limitations can be trained out of her; she's sensitive because she's a newb, not because she's tiny. I think there are plenty of women with similar build that would be put off at the hint that they can't handle something.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    When I first started shooting I was just a little bigger than her. Well, I'm still 5'2", but no longer 115 lbs! I have small hands, but am fairly strong. The first guns I fired were long guns. My first handgun was a .22 automatic, and it was very unreliable, but that was many years ago. Next 2 guns were 38 Specials, I was fine with those. There are some 9mms that I can easily rack the slide, and some that I have trouble with. My husband had a Ruger SR9C that was extremely hard. I have not had trouble with any slides on 1911-style guns in 9mm or 45ACP. My current EDC is a Sig P938, I think it was a little hard when i first got it, no problems at all now. I think the Sig P238 (380) would also be a good gun for someone like her.
    I agree, the more guns she can get her hands on first, the better.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The majority position is my suggestion - handle as many different guns as she can. Visit stores and try stuff - then when you have it down to 3 or 4 try to find a range where she can shoot them and see how they feel when FIRED. I also agree start small (.22 LR) and get familiar - then move up, and don't rush it.

I know my wife (not small hands) thought the first 9mm we bought was good in the store - hated it the instant she shot it. I've swapped that and we both have similar models/ different brand. All the suggested one's are good. - All the major manufacturers have smaller models that are good. M&P, Glock 19/26, H&K, Ruger, Beretta Nano (this has been getting lots of favorable reviews, including one from a female shooter I know).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I took my sister shooting this past weekend. She had a very difficult time working the slide of both a Ruger LCP and a CZ-83 in .380 but had no trouble with the slide of a S&W Bodyguard 380.

Navykid05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    South Indy
    I have a M&P 22 and took my fiance shooting for her first time. She loved it. Recoil is very minimal and when you can find the ammo, it's a blast to shoot.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My wife has tiny hands and love her Lady Smith. She also loves her Sig P229. She has a Ruger LCP, but has difficulty pulling the trigger, so i usually "borrow" it as a pocket backup. She loves to shoot the Lady Smith the most.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife (also short, petite, and not all that "strong" in the hands/forearms) has trouble with the slide on my Kahr CM40 and the slide on my XD40. She has no issues with the slide on the Walther P22, and it is a great range gun for her (she really likes it). The recoil of the .40's is also too much for her right now.

The "heavier" calibers have heavier recoil springs, and are harder to rack.

So, my suggestion would be a 9MM or lighter caliber for both the slide and recoil reasons. Especially for a new shooter that sounds like she may be a little "gun shy" at the beginning. Literally hundreds of options there, so just start trying them on for size.

I'm eyeballing a PK380 for my wife, only because she likes the P22 so much. Same controls and very similar in size. Recoil shouldn't be an issue, and *I* wouldn't want to get hit with even a .380!

Top Bottom