• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm looking for options to store my handguns in my safe. Keeping them in the factory boxes isn't an option as it would take up way too much space. I looked at the coated wire racks, but those look very cheap and I'm not sure how well they would work. What's everyone using?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My safe has some adjustable shelves that have "carpet", I have put wax paper over the "carpeting" so that the finish of my handguns does not somehow get damaged.
    But I am more of a rifle guy, I only have about 12 handguns, they are in the safe tight, very close to one another without touching.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1059770_01_gun_safe_organizer_door_panel_640.jpg

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use a Liberty door organizer. It's a little smaller than the door on my Johnson, and it was a bit of an interesting task to fit it. But, it works really well.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    +1 for the liberty door organizers. Mine also has two "cool pockets" that are supposed to protect documents in a fire.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I use a Versatile Handgun rack on the top shelf of the vault. They are vinyl coated steel wire racks, very sturdy, made in USA, and the best I've seen. They also seem to accommodate a wide variety of handguns/optics fairly well. Furthermore, you can sneak a few magazines underneath all your autos, as there's a small amount of room under the rack . You can buy direct, from Brownells, or Amazon. Available in a variety of sizes and configurations.

http://www.versatilegunrack.com/collections/versatile-rack-company/handgun-racks

VR10 Versatile Handgun Rack (Holds 10 Guns) - VersatileGunRack.com

The Liberty door organizer works okay too, if you don't mind hanging stuff from your door

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Door organizers are awesome, but I was too cheap to buy a big one of those so I bought 3 dish drying racks and put them side by side on the top shelf. I put the guns in the dish slots and on most pistols, I can get a spare mag directly under the gun as well so it doesn't take up additional room. I actually can't find a picture right now on the web, but I got them at Walmart for just a couple/few bucks each and they each hold multiple (5 if I recall correctly) guns. They're really simple ^ shaped racks.

ETA: Sinilar to the post above, but not as long so I bought multiple.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Picked up an 8 pistol oak rack. Looks really nice outside in the light, even better in the safe full of pistols!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Always keep in mind that most fabrics and foam materials and cardboard boxes can trap and hold moisture from the air on a humid day. If that air gets in your safe on a humid day and then you close it up you may see corrosion on your carbon steel guns. If you're going to use holsters or socks or pouches buy a humidity gauge and watch the relative humidity closely. If it starts getting above 45 to 50% you will need to dehumidify the room the safe is in - or the safe itself. I have seen too many customer's guns that were rusted only because they didn't know this stuff. The worst cases were always beautiful old shotguns stored in a sheepskin lined fabric case. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom