• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I don't think many places teach it...everyone seems to teach 2 to the body - one to the head...but I was taught and teach others that if the center mass doesn't work then go lower, not higher. Standing requires skeletal support, if you can break down the pelvis, which isn't cover by a vest btw, the bad guy may still come after you but he will have to crawl to do so. A moving head is a very tough shot but the lower body is not nearly as difficult.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    And this is exactly why 9mm vs .45acp arguments are idiotic at best.

There was another story where the BG was shot by numerous (like 117 total hits iirc) .40 S&W & .223 Rem. The police finally tackled him, and he continued to fight hand to hand before they got him in cuffs...... 117 hits, with both pistol and rifle caliber rounds.

You must be more determined than the assailant in order to prevail.

I think you might of been thinking about this case. Warning gruesome pics.

http://concealedcarryholsters.org/wp-content/files/FBI-Analysis-on-PA-Police-Shootout.pdf

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I think you might of been thinking about this case. Warning gruesome pics.

http://concealedcarryholsters.org/wp-content/files/FBI-Analysis-on-PA-Police-Shootout.pdf

That's the one I was thinking of. I had the number of hits wrong, it wasn't 117 hits, but rather 107 shots fired by LEOs.

6 hits with .40 S&W (5 of which expanded)
    The police expended every .223 round they had.

The Assailant was finally brought down when a .40 S&W broke his right arm above the elbow.

In the lessons learned they conclude the .40 S&W worked as advertised.
    And that the .223 did not produce immediate lethality as the department had expected it would.

And ultimately the following two quotes really tell the tale.

"Determined individuals can sustain many gunshot wounds in areas that produce great pain and continue to fight a long time, even without the aid of drugs or alcohol."

&

"Shot placement is everything in a gunfight and always the key to stopping a thread effectively."

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'm still curious about what some of these victims might have been wearing. Would clothing have affected penetration?

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    wow. makes me glad that when I carry my glock 22 i have 31 rounds on my person at all times. same speer rounds as the pd in that fbi review. also, when i carry my 1911, i carry 230 grain +p hollow points (remington golden sabres). they work wonders on fleshy targets, in case anyone doubted. the 5.56 mm round, unless it's loaded hot and with a hollow point or some type of frangible bullet, is just not that great of a round. leos should have a dpms .308 carbine as their long gun instead of something chambered in 5.56. i watched a wild dog take 4 shots of NATO 55 grain 5.56 ball ammo to the head and still run around. 5.56 is a joke. that being said, i still don't want to get shot with it.

edit: power point of fbi review says down jacket and t shirt worn by the bullet sponge.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The page wouldn't load last night, so I just got around to reading the story...Wow. What a courageous and determined officer. If it would have been on of the local POs around here, they would have waited for 5 backups before even approaching the car.:n00b:

My center mass comment was somewhat unwarranted given the conditions...I'm glad he not only made it out alive, but also had a speedy recovery.:yesway:

BTW, dang, that was a really detailed story.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    wow. makes me glad that when I carry my glock 22 i have 31 rounds on my person at all times. same speer rounds as the pd in that fbi review. also, when i carry my 1911, i carry 230 grain +p hollow points (remington golden sabres). they work wonders on fleshy targets, in case anyone doubted. the 5.56 mm round, unless it's loaded hot and with a hollow point or some type of frangible bullet, is just not that great of a round. leos should have a dpms .308 carbine as their long gun instead of something chambered in 5.56. i watched a wild dog take 4 shots of NATO 55 grain 5.56 ball ammo to the head and still run around. 5.56 is a joke. that being said, i still don't want to get shot with it.

edit: power point of fbi review says down jacket and t shirt worn by the bullet sponge.
    Yea 5.56...what a joke, they should definitely dump it...it's a completely un-proven round. They should only be shooting stuff that's seen combat for over 45yrs. Oh, wait.......(oops forgot the purple)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    In a fight or flight situation, most folks will be lucky to hit center mass, much less a CNS shot. Of course I realize that there are multitudes of folks out there who are so proficient as to deliver CNS hits all day, with either hand, while drinking coffee...... what?... oh sure there are...just ask !!!

I'll have to stay with center mass hits, and hope for a CNS impact in there somewhere...... but then again, I'm old :D

Once again Jay you hit the nail on the head.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yea 5.56...what a joke, they should definitely dump it...it's a completely un-proven round. They should only be shooting stuff that's seen combat for over 45yrs. Oh, wait.......(oops forgot the purple)

Once again, just because the military uses it (lowest bidder) doesn't necessarily mean it is better.

Top Bottom