• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    So I've noticed that there are products claiming that I need some special sliderail lubricant. Is there any benefit to these over regular gun lube ( I just use Hoppes) and if so what is recommended? Particularly in the realm of USPSA usage.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Just spit on it. Just kidding. Use whatever oil you have in your cleaning kit. I have been using Lucas Gun Oil recently and have been impressed how well it stays in place plus it has a low odor.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just spit on it. Just kidding. Use whatever oil you have in your cleaning kit. I have been using Lucas Gun Oil recently and have been impressed how well it stays in place plus it has a low odor.

Agree--some lubes are better than others, but just about decent gun oil beats nothing.

However, my experience is people tend to over-lubricate guns by a huge amount. A very little dab--just a film--does the trick. If you can see oil in or on the gun, most likely it is way too much.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I use Lithium, Rig, or Garand grease on my slides. Oil can burn off quickly and leaves the gun unprotected. At least that's why grease was used in the first place. Perhaps some modern oils stay on the gun better.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Whatever you have on hand that you put in your car. I have been told by numerous gun smiths that it is all they use. If you really think about it, an internal combustion engine works way harder than a firearm. If they were to take motor oil and turn it into one of those expensive "specially formulated for firearms" oils, they would have to break it down some.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've used Slide Glide, Kellube, and FP-10. All work. Some have limits. Slide Glide, for example, works very well when it's warm (it was designed for use in Arizona's climate). But if the temp drops and the action on your gun is tight, it can retard the slide velocity to the point of turning a 2011 into a Single Action Army.

Slide Glide and Kellube are different from most oils in that there is no carrier. Once it's on, it stays where you put it.

Kellube is my favorite all-around lube. It takes very little to do the job and once it's there, it stays there. Plus, it's an Indiana product.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Whatever you have on hand that you put in your car. I have been told by numerous gun smiths that it is all they use. If you really think about it, an internal combustion engine works way harder than a firearm. If they were to take motor oil and turn it into one of those expensive "specially formulated for firearms" oils, they would have to break it down some.

The difference being that a car has an oil pan and a mostly sealed lubrication system. Your pistol is not equivalent.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    i use mobil 1 on all my guns and i won't say i don't have problems cause anything can happen. I say what ever oil or grease you decide to use will be way better than nothing at all.

Top Bottom