• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So there are threads about what handgun and what shotgun to use for home defense. What caliber, make, model, etc.... So I was curious. If you could only use one, what would be the better home defense weapon. Which one would you prefer, and why?
    shotgun or handgun

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It depends on who's in the house.... For me - handgun. I can lock up a handgun - but it is still in a readily accessible place. I use one of the quick access safes. Can't exactly do that with my Mossy 500!

Since I have kids in the house, that makes more sense. And of course, I carry mine with me when awake.

If others in the house were not an issue, I'd likely lean towards the shotty. Use the best tool available - and 12 ga beats 9mm, 40 or 45 in that department.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    My house is pretty tight, so I prefer the high cap .45 with a light on it. I believe it is a better choice for close combat. I also have a young child and the shotgun isn't the easiest to "put up" around the house. I keep a mossy 500 loaded in the safe....probably wouldn't bring it out unless there was an outside disturbance.........Now, like ArmedProgrammer stated, if kids were not an issue, I would probably have the 12 gauge at my bedside.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would have thought you'd mess up your walls and stuff from all the scatter of the shotgun.

If it comes down to having to use my Shotgun in the house, I'm probably not gonna be too worried about messing up the walls. I'm gonna be worried about neutralizing the threat.

With that said, if you use your HD shotgun the right way, you aren't going to really have much scatter any way. Most folks recommend 00 buck, which is gonna have a pretty tight pattern at inside the house ranges. And hopefully the only holes are gonna be in the bad guy(s).

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    For me, I would choose the Hd Shotgun. It is more forgiving as far as shot placement.
    Also depending on what you load in it , (I feel) it gives the user a greater advantage over many handgun rounds.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    12ga shotgun would be my first choice. Since I have a kid I would go with a handgun though since it is easier to secure and still be ready.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A pump shotgun is so natural, for me anyway.
    If I were coming out of a deap sleep, that's the thing I wouldn't have to fumble with.

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would have thought you'd mess up your walls and stuff from all the scatter of the shotgun.

If it comes down to having to use my Shotgun in the house, I'm probably not gonna be too worried about messing up the walls. I'm gonna be worried about neutralizing the threat.

With that said, if you use your HD shotgun the right way, you aren't going to really have much scatter any way. Most folks recommend 00 buck, which is gonna have a pretty tight pattern at inside the house ranges. And hopefully the only holes are gonna be in the bad guy(s).

But if you put holes in the bad guy aren't you worried the blood will mess up your carpet and stuff.... just kidding.

If I could only have one I would go with my shotgun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

00 buck. See I guess I know a lot less about shotguns than I thought I did. What do you mean by this? I'd like to get a Remington 870. But as to which one and ammo, I'm also clueless

Top Bottom