• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Okay all, here is a very basic mockup, fit and finish will be much better once the final product is complete. A couple of questions/thoughts:

> Do you think that something this basic is the right idea or something more detailed? ideas?
    That's the right idea
    > Felt on the base and in the grooves?
    Yes
    > They can be made to hold whatever quanties I just put this one together quick.

The mockup is red oak and can be stained and laquered in mulitple colors.
    With felt in the grooves and base a four slot would be in the $25-$30 range. To much?

Nope, sounds about right

One of the things that most interested me in the picture I posted was the ammo storage underneath, that's a great idea. As far as what they are made of, heck, pretty much anything would do for me and red oak is plenty good enough. I realize that's a mock-up, but something other than butt joints at the corners would be a nice touch.

Keep improving them and I think you'll have something to sell here at the very least.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Looks good and 30.00 range sounds real reasonable.
    Thanks. I'll keep everyone posted on a finished product

Looks good but my specific need is for long guns. I can use the floor and wall for needed support. Could this be stretched out or just utilize the top board to cradle the barrel. I would not need ornate, just practical
    Shouldn't be a problem to do a top that attached to the wall and then maybe a bottom similar to the mockup to keep them in place. How many would you need it to hold?
    Matt

I'd be interested in a rifle rack too, say maybe 8 long guns. Theres already a ton of handgun racks on the market from cheap to pricy, but not many good rifle racks. Most of the rifle racks that I've seen, and I've been looking, look hokey.
    I'll keep you posted on what I come up with for Sarge and see if it works for you as well.
    Thanks,
    Matt

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I need to measure but as many that can be safely placed in a 60-62" span. Some are thinner profile than others, 22's scoped 308, shotgun etc

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I have couple of other ideas that might work for you. I will be buying or building these soon.

Shooting Bench. html Really intersted in this. I would like one that can be moved easily.

And these go for about 150.00 and I need one soon.
    picture.php

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I think you might want to consider custom built interiors for existing safes. Guys like me and others on this board already have gun safes and the simpler accomodation might be to custom build a new shelf for the safe with built in pistol slots. This would be more space efficient for the buyer and probably more profitable for you. By the way, I meant I needed two pistol racks, but I think a custom made shelf would work better.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think you might want to consider custom built interiors for existing safes. Guys like me and others on this board already have gun safes and the simpler accomodation might be to custom build a new shelf for the safe with built in pistol slots. This would be more space efficient for the buyer and probably more profitable for you. By the way, I meant I needed two pistol racks, but I think a custom made shelf would work better.

Good thought. Althought I am not sure where I would start. I don't think building it would be to bad. But making sure that the buyer got exactly what they were invisioning might be a little tuff. I'll have to give it some thought.
    Thanks,
    Matt

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Okay guys here is a 10 pistol rack with a little storage underneath. It is solid red oak with black felt.
    It measures 24L x 6d x 8.5H

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

Cost would be around $45-$50 stained and laquered. Would this work for anyone

Thanks,
    Matt
    mhtkaufman@verizon.net

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    wow matt these are turning out very well.
    I wish you luck with them. it looks like you may have a future in this.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    That looks real nice, I personally would like an option to convert the ammo storage area to a second row of 10 pistol slots. Can you modify your model to accomodate that option? I realize that the overall height would increase some. Honestly, the current product looks great, but I just need more storage. The price sounds pretty reasonable.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    That looks real nice, I personally would like an option to convert the ammo storage area to a second row of 10 pistol slots. Can you modify your model to accomodate that option? I realize that the overall height would increase some. Honestly, the current product looks great, but I just need more storage. The price sounds pretty reasonable.

I'll see what I can do and will let you know.
    Thanks

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Here are a couple of pics of a 6 gun with a little less storage it is stained in Traditional Cherry. This size would be $35 It is 14.5" x 6" x 5.5"
    Let me know what you think,
    Thanks,
    Matt
    DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Wanted to say thanks to all for your suggestions and thoughts. I am going to keep working on ideas that I have and that have been given to me. Thus far I have the 10 gun and 6 gun pistol racks done. If anyone has any additional suggestions, questions, or needs feel free to PM me.
    Matt
    mhtkaufman@verizon.net

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom