• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Okay, this is not a want to sell add. While standing in my garage / woodshop earlier today. I started thinking to myself? I wonder if anyone could use or would be interested in a hardwood gun rack/s? I built a couple for a guy a year or so ago but never took pictures. Anyways, seeing as I am currently un-employeed I am trying to figure out ways to create some income. Is this something that anyone would use or was the guy that I built them for previously just unique?
    If there is interest then I am more then willing to discuss it with you. Also, if there is interest I will talk to Fenway before moving forward as I don't want to talk advantage of this site in any way.

Thoughts??

Mods if this is not accepted let me know.

Thanks,
    Matt

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I'll take mine felt lined please! Please remember to keep it cost competitive with other commercially produced racks. I could use two that would hold 10 each. ( That leaves room to grow!) Another thought might be custom ammo storage like crates etc.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    sounds like a cool idea. i think as long as you arent pushing too hard you should be ok to sell on here. I would probably invite you to either construct one or at least contact whoever you made the 1st one for to get some pics of it.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Long gun or short gun? Also, got a thought were I might take a look at some commercial racks to look at pricing.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    I'll take mine felt lined please! Please remember to keep it cost competitive with other commercially produced racks. I could use two that would hold 10 each. ( That leaves room to grow!) Another thought might be custom ammo storage like crates etc.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    sounds like a cool idea. i think as long as you arent pushing too hard you should be ok to sell on here. I would probably invite you to either construct one or at least contact whoever you made the 1st one for to get some pics of it.

Good thought. I will have to construct one for reference. And I definatley won't push it as I don't won't to upset anyone thats for certain.
    Thanks,
    Matt

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Google hand gun racks. There is probably a market for racks that will hold handguns in safes. I bought two metal ones for around $26 each and they each held six guns. They were made out of plastic coated wire.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I just bought a handgun rack from SPG.
    Nice design and fairly easy to make.
    it's vinyl coated press board with felt lining.
    Paid $40

something like that in nice pine or hardwood would probably sell ok.
    I have a bunch of plans for simple rifle storage racks if you need them too.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks Karl. I am going to try and mock something up in the next day or so and will post pics once complete.
    I just bought a handgun rack from SPG.
    Nice design and fairly easy to make.
    it's vinyl coated press board with felt lining.
    Paid $40

something like that in nice pine or hardwood would probably sell ok.
    I have a bunch of plans for simple rifle storage racks if you need them too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    That is nice and wouldn't be to bad to make. Thanks for the pic.

I would be interested in a price quote on building one of these. No rush, I know you'll have to find out material costs and time, but be sure to update this thread if you plan to make something similar to this.

Thanks,
    Josh

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I think that you may do well and will probably be able to sell everything you make right here for a while. I have also seen some rotating pistol racks that were made from wood and turned to access the gun.

I like the picture of the rack posted up. I bet you can sell them. Good luck.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think that you may do well and will probably be able to sell everything you make right here for a while. I have also seen some rotating pistol racks that were made from wood and turned to access the gun.

I like the picture of the rack posted up. I bet you can sell them. Good luck.

I am going to try and get something mocked up today and see what people think or get suggestions and go from there. Thanks for the note and thanks to all that have replied.
    Matt

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Okay all, here is a very basic mockup, fit and finish will be much better once the final product is complete. A couple of questions/thoughts:

> Do you think that something this basic is the right idea or something more detailed? ideas?
    > Felt on the base and in the grooves?
    > They can be made to hold whatever quanties I just put this one together quick.

The mockup is red oak and can be stained and laquered in mulitple colors.
    With felt in the grooves and base a four slot would be in the $25-$30 range. To much?
    Give me your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Matt

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Okay all, here is a very basic mockup, fit and finish will be much better once the final product is complete. A couple of questions/thoughts:

> Do you think that something this basic is the right idea or something more detailed? ideas?
    > Felt on the base and in the grooves?
    > They can be made to hold whatever quanties I just put this one together quick.

The mockup is red oak and can be stained and laquered in mulitple colors.
    With felt in the grooves and base a four slot would be in the $25-$30 range. To much?
    Give me your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Looks good but my specific need is for long guns. I can use the floor and wall for needed support. Could this be stretched out or just utilize the top board to cradle the barrel. I would not need ornate, just practical

Ranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I'd be interested in a rifle rack too, say maybe 8 long guns. Theres already a ton of handgun racks on the market from cheap to pricy, but not many good rifle racks. Most of the rifle racks that I've seen, and I've been looking, look hokey.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom