• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think the Ruger Bearcat is one of the best "woods guns" out there....One of the few guns where the new ones are actually as good (if not better) than the older ones.....Whenever I am hiking in the woods I always have my carry gun with me as well...Usually a J frame Smith....

If you feel you need more than a .22 for your woods walks I can highly reccomend a 3 inch J frame Smith. My model 60 has target sights and is in .357 magnum or when I am feeling a little "old school" I have got a mid 70's 3 inch J frame in .38 special with the heavy barrel and fixed sights....I have a "hunter" style holster that I keep on an old web belt with a pouch that has a firestarter, compass, waterpproof matches, a dozen rounds of various ammo and a spare knife....When the Mountain Cur and I decide to take a woodswalk I just grab that belt and head out the door.....

IMHO ofcourse....

The Ruger standard .22 makes a nice woods gun as well but I like the revolver better because I have the options of snake loads if need be.....Our property in Perry County is kind of "Copperheady" and "Timber Rattlery".......

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    If i"m out west in bear country I carry the S&W 29 Classic. Around this area I carry my 3" Ruger SP-101 357 mag. or the 686+.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    In the wooded and rugged terrain areas in the Putnam/Owen counties area, I usually carry one of my Beretta 92s with a couple of spare magazines just to have the most shots. In years past there were reports of dog packs and a story where a guy was treed had to stay treed until the dogs that he had not killed gave up and went home. He had a 6 shot .357 revolver and killed 4 or 5 dogs, but had nothing for the remaining ones who remained interested in doing him some harm. If I was in big bear country, I suppose that I would probably carry my 9.5" .480 Super Redhawk. I guess it mainly depends on where I plan to venture and what I think that I might be most likely to encounter.

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Funny story. I was walking in my woods a few years back and heard a "ZIP" past my head then a Crack! I listened (after hitting the dirt) and heard a couple folks in my woods walking around. I happened to have my Super Blackhawk and cut loose one round in the ground in their direction. The screaming and cussing and running thru the briers was pretty funny. They jumped in their truck at the road and never came back. Lately however I carry a GP100 ruger 357 now because a trail cam picture showed the biggest black house cat I ever saw. And yes, that was no house cat.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I carry a 22lr ruger single six in the woods. I don't shoot everything I see. I back off from bear cubs and make plenty of noise. If I am hunting I am quiet, but I have a rifle.so pistol choosing is not a factor.

Choosing a good knife is far more important IMO.

My Single Six rides on my hip in a Triple K holster from Ruger.com every time I hit the wood line. Very comfortable, easy to draw. I wouldn't want to be shot with a hollow point .22 mag round and I doubt anyone else would either.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Funny story. I was walking in my woods a few years back and heard a "ZIP" past my head then a Crack! I listened (after hitting the dirt) and heard a couple folks in my woods walking around. I happened to have my Super Blackhawk and cut loose one round in the ground in their direction. The screaming and cussing and running thru the briers was pretty funny. They jumped in their truck at the road and never came back. Lately however I carry a GP100 ruger 357 now because a trail cam picture showed the biggest black house cat I ever saw. And yes, that was no house cat.

Saw one of those house cats jump across hwy 3 in Clark county in 1980.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I'd go with the revolver if I could afford it. Hornady's LEVERevolution rounds in .44 Mag are great. You can also get a .44 Mag rifle sometime in the future that is legal to hunt with here and they could share ammo.

Top Bottom