• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Something she is comfortable with...this goes for both genders...
    S&W J frame is a good choice...plus I love them as well. Especially for a first gun. No slide to rack. No limp wrist jamming issues. Tons of grip options to fit a multitute of hand sizes. Leather galore. Variety of decent loads to choose from.
    Just my opinion.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    There's really no reason why even a small framed women couldn't handle a 9mm. My fiance is 5'2" and 115lbs she shoots a 9mm with no problems. I got her a Taurus pt.111 mil pro (I believe that's the model). She really liked how it felt, my mom likes how those models feel in her hand as well...so that may be a good start. Kahr's have a similar feel to them.
    But personally I would just stick with a 9mm, ammo is cheaper and more available than .380, she can practice more with it which is key.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Hey! I carry a Kel-Tec P11! But my wife really likes shooting the Ruger LCP. That's not to say we like shooting larger guns/calibers but as for carrying...the Kel-Tec is really great to carrry IWB for me and my wife likes the LCP for her pocket or purse

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Lots of good suggestions but no one has mentioned the .32 H&R Magnum. S&W and Taurus make a great little revolver in this caliber. Don't confuse it with the underpowered .32acp. This is six rounds of low recoil, high velocity power in a light weight revolver.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I cannot convince my wife to carry a firearm, but if she were going to do so I'd probably try to equip her with a S&W 640 (stainless steel, so less recoil than the lightweight 442/642--DAO for safety--and no extra steps like a safety) and fill it with .38+P rather than .357. With a Crimson Trace grip, such a setup should be ultrareliable, and for someone unfamiliar with firearms, the simplicity of a revolver would be nice. Many of us who LIKE guns forget that it can be a bit intimidating for a newbie to determine whether a semiautomatic pistol is actually loaded or not. With a revolver, the condition of the weapon is much more obvious and checking it is unlikely to cause any problems or to be dangerous.

Along those lines, I really used to like my Beretta Tomcat...the tip-up barrel makes it easy to check the condition of the weapon. It's unfortunate that they don't make this in .380...or, better yet, .32NAA....

But of course, as others have said, the choice should be about what makes the USER most comfortable, and some shooters may feel differently about what's comfortable.

Last edited:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    And now for my opinon, There is no gun too small, it is about shot placement. I also wouldn't be overly concerned about recoil, if that first and hopefully only shot is placed right, adrenaline will be pumping so much, that shot won't be felt (by the shooter). My main concern for anybody put in a situation to pull a gun or not pull the gun or take the shot or not take the shot, is to remain calm and keep your wits about you. If the "victim" panics, it doesnt matter what they are carrying.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    hammerless J Frame in .38

If your worried about recoil just stay away from the +P stuff

642CT is a hammerless snubby .38 with a crimson trace grip, and would be my first choice any inexperienced shooter to ccw.

Top Bottom