• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Get the Ruger...ANY Ruger in this situation. I've bought/traded a LOT of handguns over the last 20 years and I too started out with a "cheap" Taurus revolver. I would have been far better off to just delay the purchase until I could have afforded a quality piece. Taurus QC is all over the place. It was true 25 years ago and from what I've read it's still true today. My Taurus 85 snub had way over-sized charge holes in the cylinder. This caused crazy key-holing at 21 feet!

There are lots of areas one can be cheap and save money....handguns should NEVER be one of them.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I own the ruger SR9C as my CC and love it. Along with alot of people I do not like the clip extension with the 16 round mag and extra 10 round mags are hard to come by. As far as shooting I have probably put 500 rounds through it with no problem. First time I shot it I hit the paper every time including 3 right in the center. I am no pro but it shoots very nice.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Taurus was a good choice for a first handgun and would continue to serve you well. I agree it is a bit heavy to carry but for a truck or bedroom gun would be excellent.

The SR9 and SR9c seem to get good reviews. I have handled them but never shot one myself. I think they would be a solid choice for a general purpose pistol. You might also want to look at the FNP, Glock 19, Springfield XD, S&W MP. Each would appear to have its own following and are easy to find at gun shops.

Vert has given very good advice. Another post offers good advice about carrying the revolver for a couple weeks and trying various holsters before you step down to the SR9c. I suggest you keep what you have, finding a holster that is comfortable. Beyond that, save your pennies and buy a compact semi-auto. Taurus24/7 is worth considering in addition to those mentioned above. Excellent performance—reliable and accurate with a lifetime warranty and cheaper than Glock, Springfield, FNP, S&W.

Stay safe.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Get a good holster and a good belt, the weight of the gun will melt away. Like what Clint Smith said " carrying a firearm is not suppose to be comfortable it is suppose to be comforting".

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Do NOT trade any gun unless you absolutely hate it. I've traded or sold so many over the years that I have deep regrets. (i.e. a Glock 30, Kimber stainless Carry II, and too many others.) At the time I thought I needed the money or couldn't afford a new piece without trading. I regret almost all of them now.:(

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    ???

The SR9c with the full size 17 round mag (which you get) and the grip extender (which you get) feels exactly the same and the only difference is 1/2" of barrel (which you won't miss).

Two guns in one. There's a reason the regular SR9 isn't selling anymore.

The one I looked at with the extension only held 15, so I don't know

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    :rockwoot: I think the sr9c would be a great choice great gun and feels great in the hand.

I'm a relatively new gun owner. First gun is Taurus 66 .357 4". I thought a revolver would be good first choice. It shoots well and is very reliable so far. But it's a bit big for carry. Thinking about trading for Ruger SR9c. Smaller and much cheaper ammo. I don't plan on carrying much. But it would be good to have the option. Can't afford to have both. Any thoughts?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    the man is telling the truth I am kicking myself over selling my 1911 just because ammo was to high then the next week .45 went on sale for almost 1/2 off three days after selling the colt
    :n00b:
    Do NOT trade any gun unless you absolutely hate it. I've traded or sold so many over the years that I have deep regrets. (i.e. a Glock 30, Kimber stainless Carry II, and too many others.) At the time I thought I needed the money or couldn't afford a new piece without trading. I regret almost all of them now.:(

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Same here, Several years ago before the Brady ban, I went a little nutty picking up a few SKS's and CZ-52s, (almost a dozen of each) flipped every one of them over the years. Now I no longer have an SKS, and can't get them for the fantastic under $100 prices anymore, and same with the CZ-52, used to be able to snatch them up for $80 or so, and I just grabbed one on Gunbroker for the GOOD price of $200...

Don't get rid of any guns unless you HATE them. Put them back in the closet or safe, and store them for a rainy day/investment/inheritance/barter.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

:yesway: My first handgun was a Smith and Wesson model 13. I sold it to my dad, so luckily I have a chance to get it back in the future. I replaced it with a Taurus 24/7 in .45 acp. It was a little bit picky on ammo, but it was a blast to shoot and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up again for the right price. Now I have a Springfield Armory 1911, which I also love. Personally, I would follow the advice of an earlier poster and keep your gun. Get to know it intimately. Get a holster and keep it with you as much as possible. You'll grow to love it. Guns tend to have that effect. :D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm a relatively new gun owner. First gun is Taurus 66 .357 4". I thought a revolver would be good first choice. It shoots well and is very reliable so far. But it's a bit big for carry. Thinking about trading for Ruger SR9c. Smaller and much cheaper ammo. I don't plan on carrying much. But it would be good to have the option. Can't afford to have both. Any thoughts?

The Ruger seems like a nice little gun. I have my eye on a MP 9mm compact though. ;)

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    If you can't own both

Then in my opinion the Ruger brand is a better quality brand than the Taurus brand.

While I only owned revolvers for years ... I now mostly own auto's.

I do not own a SR9 .. but several of my shooting buddy's do and they love them.

:cool:

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    SR9c

Used to own one..Not a bad gun, not a good gun, adequate for personal carry.
    It's all in the eye of the beholder.:dunno:

cmstuard

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I keep a Taurus 357 by my bed and I use that to get to my Mossy, but I would think the gun is just too heavy to carry. Great gun though for the money. Not familar with SR9, but reviews are pretty good on them. I think you will regret the 357 if you plan to carry it much. Bedroom or truck gun... no question go with 357. I think you might be able to find other options out there as well that are a better fit for you if you keep looking. I have a G26, S&W 3919, Bodyguard 380 and a Taurus 357. Like I said, my 357 sits by my bed cuz it will always go bang with attitude.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom