• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sddelph1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    I'm a relatively new gun owner. First gun is Taurus 66 .357 4". I thought a revolver would be good first choice. It shoots well and is very reliable so far. But it's a bit big for carry. Thinking about trading for Ruger SR9c. Smaller and much cheaper ammo. I don't plan on carrying much. But it would be good to have the option. Can't afford to have both. Any thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Taurus was a good choice for a first handgun and would continue to serve you well. I agree it is a bit heavy to carry but for a truck or bedroom gun would be excellent.

The SR9 and SR9c seem to get good reviews. I have handled them but never shot one myself. I think they would be a solid choice for a general purpose pistol. You might also want to look at the FNP, Glock 19, Springfield XD, S&W MP. Each would appear to have its own following and are easy to find at gun shops.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I like the wheel for a first gun. It will teach you a smooth steady trigger squeeze and its a 357. For practice you can shoot 38 specials to get the ammo price down. Then later on you can get a semi auto.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    "too big for carry" is kind of subjective, isn't it? I can easily carry a revolver like yours and have carried them for many years and I do prefer them to be IWB. I have always been over 200 pounds though. But even so, a new gun is not real comfortable for the first few days.

I won't ask about your weight or stature, it really is not my business.

What I am tryig to get to, is that you have a full size fighting handgun now. The smaller lighter Ruger is a step down from that.

Perhaps you should consider carrying that revolver everyday for the next couple of weeks before you start downsizing. It might become a part of your normal dress is you carry it more often.

Just my thoughts and experience I am putting out.....

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Just know and follow going to a semi-auto means more time practicing than a revolver. If you can accept that then the SR9c has an excellent following and is very manageable for carry IMO.

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have the full size SR9..I love it. between the 5 guns I have..it's my favorite by far. I have put about 400 rounds through it and haven't had a single FTE or FTF. I suggest you go with the SR9c. It holds way more rounds than a lousy revolver :D Speed loaders take longer than inserting a magazine.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with VERT, good choice with the wheelgun for a first handgun. I love a good revolver! I do understand wanting something different though, too bad you can't have both. I know how that goes!

The sr9c is a nice weapon. Good size for carry and a nice shooter.

May I ask what started you in the direction of the Ruger?
    Shot one and liked it, handled one and liked it, or just going by pics?

I only ask because if you have experience with it and already know you like it then there is no need for me to give you other options because they would be what I like best. You need the weapon that you like best. If you like the sr9c and have already handled one and or fired one then I say go for it if it is what you like. It will serve you well. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    What I am tryig to get to, is that you have a full size fighting handgun now. The smaller lighter Ruger is a step down from that.

While the Taurus may be a "full size fighting handgun" I don't consider the Ruger a "step down" I started with a Glock 19,went to a XD9 and finally realized the SR9c was the right choice for me. It's priced right, it's as accurate as the rest,has the option of the full size mag or compact,is much cheaper to pratice with (even with 38 loads) and has much less recoil than the 357. Since you already shoot a revolver, you should have no problem with the trigger tut it always comes down to what suits your needs. The only down side to the Ruger is the lack of holsters and accessories which will grow in time.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't get all the "Why don't you try _____ instead?" You always see these threads where someone asks "Glock or XD?". I'm always tempted to throw in "Neither, go with the M&P." but I don't. You know why? Because they didn't ask about the M&P!

The guy asked about the Ruger SR9c. I have one. It is a great pistol for the guy that has one pistol. Compact enough to carry. Large enough for home defense. The SR9c has an absolutely great trigger. It is accurate. It has had NO problems. It feels great in the hand. Soft shooting. It is $400. There are TONS of options for accessories and holsters. It really is the perfect starter pistol.

I've since acquired other pistols that fit each individual niche better, but I won't get rid of the SR9c because it is the pistol that I introduce any new shooter to shooting with.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I like the opinion early on that you do what you can to have both guns. That being said, the revolver is my choice. Pull the trigger, it goes bang. if you run out of ammo you give it more or knock upside the noggin with it.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've pulled the trigger on my SR9c about 1000 times. It has gone bang every time.

Can't say that about my M&P or my Buck Mark, but my Ruger has been flawless.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    The only trouble I see with ANY auto is that the 1911 pattern and the Glocks have parts and magazines EVERYWHERE. If you're buying with hard times and scarce supplies in mind remember that there'll be parts and mags for 1911's and Glock's probably almost forever. The others, no matter how good, could be a problem. Supersticious, I guess.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Well the Taurus is the gun i first started with myself, i loved shooting it, and then i bought a SR9 and love it too, it all depends on what you prefer, I can shoot any revolver that gets put in my hand but that's because they feel good to me. It's all up to your personal preference on what you think is better. Also if you are not going to carry much, I would just go with the full size due to the fact about same price and holds 2 more rounds. Either or would be a great gun to have.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Also if you are not going to carry much, I would just go with the full size due to the fact about same price and holds 2 more rounds. Either or would be a great gun to have.

???

The SR9c with the full size 17 round mag (which you get) and the grip extender (which you get) feels exactly the same and the only difference is 1/2" of barrel (which you won't miss).

Two guns in one. There's a reason the regular SR9 isn't selling anymore.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Between the two I would prefer the SR9c. It's a solid polymer pistol and priced much lower than any of the competition. It would be a trade up in quality over the Taurus. You might find that going from a SA trigger pull (assuming you cock the hammer when you target shoot) to a striker style trigger will take some adjustment time though.

I would make one suggestion since you are new. Before you get rid of the Taurus and pick up a SR9c or any other pistol. Get out and see if you can rent or borrow some different pistols. You may find that you don't like the SR9c and prefer something else. It will also enable you to figure out the exact size that you want (compact, sub compact, full size). Keep in mind that if you want to carry you'll need a proper holster and belt.

Since your on a tighter budget it's even more important to get a pistol that you will be happy with for years vs selling/trading in on a different pistol. A used firearm would be what I would look for if I was you. This way you can get the most pistol for your money and since a fraction of us will ever actually wear out a pistol it's safe to get a used gun. I would also suggest checking the classifieds on INGO for good deals.

I haven't made any particularly bad purchases in regards to firearms but I do wish that I would have shot more rentals before buying some of the handguns I picked up. I was 10 handguns in before I realized I prefer steel frame, single action only, 9mm handguns. My second safe looks like a polymer & 40 cal pistol graveyard full of unloved step children. If your like me and find that you like a crisper trigger and steel frame. The RIA 1911 in 9mm is within your budget and a great pistol for the price.

Sorry if I bored you.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I don't get all the "Why don't you try _____ instead?" You always see these threads where someone asks "Glock or XD?". I'm always tempted to throw in "Neither, go with the M&P." but I don't. You know why? Because they didn't ask about the M&P!

I also hate this ^^^

Top Bottom