• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I carry a Colt 1903 and a 10mm 2011or .45 Colt Rear Gun. I have a Sig Sauer P229 and gen 2 Glock 17. The one that shoots the best for me is a 1911. For me a Glock is bad, I can't hit the side of a barn shooting from inside the barn.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've carried a S&W Airweight for years. I figure if I can't get it done with 5 rounds I'm in trouble
    I thought that way until last summer and all the crap that went down with the BLM / Antifa crap...that's when I added a 9mm to the rotation, and in the process, added capacity to the equation.
    Still like my 5-shot 340DAO...but when I'm out with the family, being able to better defend them against larger numbers, if necessary, became a factor.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I carry a Colt 1903 and a 10mm 2011or .45 Colt Rear Gun. I have a Sig Sauer P229 and gen 2 Glock 17. The one that shoots the best for me is a 1911. For me a Glock is bad, I can't hit the side of a barn shooting from inside the barn.
    Sheezzz... that's bad! I concur on the 1911...for #1 in accuracy... can't beat one!
    I'm better at hitting the side of a barn with a Glock, if it holds still anyhow...at least in .45 acp!!! :)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've carried a S&W Airweight for years. I figure if I can't get it done with 5 rounds I'm in trouble
    Not exactly what I'd want to find in my hands if a mass shooter opens up in a crowded mall, church service or movie theater and is standing between my family and the exit.

My philosophy is to pick a gun you can learn to fight with. Learn to fight with it. Carry it. Buy a second one so you have a backup. Train more.

A G19 certainly fits the bill for these criteria.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Not exactly what I'd want to find in my hands if a mass shooter opens up in a crowded mall, church service or movie theater and is standing between my family and the exit.

My philosophy is to pick a gun you can learn to fight with. Learn to fight with it. Carry it. Buy a second one so you have a backup. Train more.

A G19 certainly fits the bill for these criteria.
    I like ANY pistol so long as it`s a Glock and it`s a .45 :laugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For you maybe. Not for everyone. Glocks just don't fit my hand at all. Feels like gripping a 2x4, angle of the grip doesn't point naturally for me. Everyone is different. There absolutely is NO "best" carry gun for everyone, period. If there were, that would be the only gun being manufactured, and all the others would be out of business.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For you maybe. Not for everyone. Glocks just don't fit my hand at all. Feels like gripping a 2x4, angle of the grip doesn't point naturally for me. Everyone is different. There absolutely is NO "best" carry gun for everyone, period. If there were, that would be the only gun being manufactured, and all the others would be out of business.
    And probably sky high in price.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Natural pointing" is just what you are used to unless you legitimately have some wrist issues. It can be tough to overwrite the existing draw/index, but the better you get the easier it is. Dry fire makes it fairly simple if you have the time, and that might be a few draw strokes if you're a rock star and a few hours if you suck. Most mortals will probably find 10-30 minutes sufficient. If it's worth it or not is another question. I try not to bounce back and forth for that reason.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    As said, pick what works best for you and train with live ammo and dry fire (personally like the mantis x10 elite for dry). My current preference is sig p365 for most carry and p365xl with sig zero dot when carrying appendix.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    "Natural pointing" is just what you are used to unless you legitimately have some wrist issues. It can be tough to overwrite the existing draw/index, but the better you get the easier it is. Dry fire makes it fairly simple if you have the time, and that might be a few draw strokes if you're a rock star and a few hours if you suck. Most mortals will probably find 10-30 minutes sufficient. If it's worth it or not is another question. I try not to bounce back and forth for that reason.
    A lot of the "fit my hand" talk is from inexperienced folks repeating what others have said. It is especially annoying when we tell new shooters to try a bunch of guns until you find one that "fits your hand." With odd exception, that's pretty much wrong.

New shooters don't know what gun feels good in the hand. Hell, a lot of "experienced shooters" don't either. Plenty of little kids, boys and girls, with tiny hands that can and do run Glocks in competition better than you or I ever will. How did they do that? They were trained to work with the best tool for the job. They were trained to adopt themselves to the platform, rather than jumping platform to platform, looking for the next flavor of the month.

With 99% of new shooters, THE best method for figuring the best gun for them is to not give a choice. Hand them a package with your backup G19/17/45 along with carry gear and ammo. Send them to obijohn for a few hours one on one training. He will have them in much better shooting shape and wanting more when they leave.

Why make them shoot the Glock? Because that is what the trainer is most likely shooting. Pretty easy to figure why that is best...

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've found a way for people like me who can't get use to or like the Glock grip angle and still have glock reliability. Polymer 80 and Timberwolf frames both have a 1911 style grip angle. Since most put a few hundred dollars or more fixing up their glock might as well build your own from the frame up. I'm tempted to try this sometime.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A lot of the "fit my hand" talk is from inexperienced folks repeating what others have said. It is especially annoying when we tell new shooters to try a bunch of guns until you find one that "fits your hand." With odd exception, that's pretty much wrong.

New shooters don't know what gun feels good in the hand. Hell, a lot of "experienced shooters" don't either. Plenty of little kids, boys and girls, with tiny hands that can and do run Glocks in competition better than you or I ever will. How did they do that? They were trained to work with the best tool for the job. They were trained to adopt themselves to the platform, rather than jumping platform to platform, looking for the next flavor of the month.

With 99% of new shooters, THE best method for figuring the best gun for them is to not give a choice. Hand them a package with your backup G19/17/45 along with carry gear and ammo. Send them to obijohn for a few hours one on one training. He will have them in much better shooting shape and wanting more when they leave.

Why make them shoot the Glock? Because that is what the trainer is most likely shooting. Pretty easy to figure why that is best...
    If you start with a glock I'm sure it's not a problem. When you have not shot one and you are over 50 and then decide hey I want this inexpensive super reliable light weight pistol and you buy one then find out the hard way it doesn't feel right or aim like everything else you have used your entire life it is very irritating to say the least.
    Myself and many others are not police officers or military who would be forced to learn how to shoot it when issued. So we throw up our hands in frustration and sell it. I had a G20 SF for years I learned to shoot it. Even hunted with it successfully. I still hated the grip angle. The G20 SF was super reliable and was accurate enough to take deer out to 35 yards without a problem. I sold mine off because I wanted a Ronin 10mm but used the money towards the Ronin 45acp instead.
    Nothing wrong with a glock they run fine and I'm sure you'll get a lemon once in awhile but Glock has good customer service.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    "Best" is merely an opinion for a firearm....and you're right, it's different for everyone!
    Same issue in the military...the 1911, the Beretta, and now the Sig P-320 do not 'fit' the same in the hand for everyone...
    It's kind of like athletic shoes...shoe manufactures make their shoes for different kinds of feet...
    If you have a long narrow foot with a high arch - see Nike, Asics, and Avia!
    If you have a wide flat foot - Rebooks are probably a better choice, etc.!
    Some coaches want the same shoe (aka, a 'team' shoe) for all their players, except that not every athlete has the same foot...for some it's great, but for others, it can be the direct cause of pain and discomfort!
    I actually like the Glock grip angle...but I grew up shooting single-action revolvers with the plow share grip...so I'm used to it.
    I love my Ruger Commander 1911...but the grip angle takes some getting used to every time I dig it out!
    Thankfully, there is a variety of pistols out there from which to choose from, so that everyone can find one that 'best' fits their hand comfortably, and one that they can learn to, with practice and training, to shoot consistently!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    The "best" handgun it the one that fits your hand the best and you shoot well regardless of who makes it. Go to a range and rent a few different ones and see what you like and works for you. Might take 2 or 3 tries to find the right one, but you'll know it when you do. Kinda like a wife ( but you can't rent them to try them out before "buying" one). :0)

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It is a pistol know for being reliable, affordable, and rather light for all the ammunition it carries. It's certainly a darn good choice, and was the pistol I purchased on my 21st birthday. You may find later you prefer something else, but it certainly has its merits as a carry piece.

Top Bottom