• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Any of you guys and gals ever had your handguns re blued? Looking to get one of mine refinished and am looking for a place to go. Im trying to find a place within driving distance so I dont have to ship my gun. If any of ya know a place could you list it. thanks, Im in the northern half of the state about a hour north of Indy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you come to any of the 1500's you could drop it off to me there.... as far as i know HGC doesnt blue, and is located further south in bloomington, he does do some pretty awesome duracoat work though.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a Smith 29 that has some pitting on it. Works fine but looks horrible. I got the gun this way, by the way.

Like it but don't want to dump a lot into it. Been trying to find someone who can put a rougher texture on it to hide some of it's flaws. Parkerize? I did a black re-coat but it just isn't right.

Anybody know someone willing to tackle a job like this?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a Smith 29 that has some pitting on it. Works fine but looks horrible. I got the gun this way, by the way.

Like it but don't want to dump a lot into it. Been trying to find someone who can put a rougher texture on it to hide some of it's flaws. Parkerize? I did a black re-coat but it just isn't right. also, depending on how bad the pits are they can be removed and blended and then reblued, and provided they are not to terrible, you will never even be able to tell they were ever there.

Anybody know someone willing to tackle a job like this?

Yep.... i can parkerize, and after its phosphated i can apply any number of coatings afterwards including a dip in the hot blue bath, or norrels moly resin, or cerekote.... although the parkerizing is cheap enough, the extra coatings CAN be expensive depending on what you choose

Doesnt waynes have to have all the prep work done before they will put their finish on it?

the key to a successful reblue, is in the prep work... the actual act of applying the blue black finish is the easy albiet expensive part, but w/out really good prep all the imperfections will just show through.... ill try and put up some before and afters later this week.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just wanting to cover the blemishes... all I knew of was parkerizing or actually welding to build up the pits and polish back to size... definitely not what I want.

Can other coatings fill in and smooth out the pits?

Just jumped over to your site... looks nice...

Sorry if I hijacked this thread...

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    here are some before pics.... ill post the afters tomorrow as they are on a differant camera but lets just say it looks almost as good as new

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    sorry for the photos.... i had the gun all the way apart before i had the itch to take some before photos so i just put the major pieces back together for a brief photo op.

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    If you come to any of the 1500's you could drop it off to me there.... as far as i know HGC doesnt blue, and is located further south in bloomington, he does do some pretty awesome duracoat work though.

Maybe I'm an exception...I had a S&W 9mm that I sent to HGC and was less than happy with the whole expierence. Communication is very poor. He sent me a pic of my gun when it was finished, but it took almost three weeks and several emails to get a bill so I could get my gun back. Then...I shot it and cleaned it...HGC sprayed over all the internal parts which in my opinion made a mess, and then with Hoppes#9 solvent the finish started coming off the slide. I would NOT recommend sending anything there. Again, maybe I'm the exception but I will NEVER send anything there again!:noway: :twocents:

markbritt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Try Van's Gun Blue. Clean the metal and you can touch up your gun and it looks great. I have also used this product on entire guns that I have stripped down, removed old bluing and cleaned the metal with solvent. This product works great and is about $40.00 a quart at the gunshows - resable too.
    Hope this helps

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Try Van's Gun Blue. Clean the metal and you can touch up your gun and it looks great. I have also used this product on entire guns that I have stripped down, removed old bluing and cleaned the metal with solvent. This product works great and is about $40.00 a quart at the gunshows - resable too.
    Hope this helps

problem is cold blue offers ZERO protection against corrosion... it looks nice, but its not durable and unless oiled OFTEN your firearm will just rust right through it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    how deep are the pits? you would be suprised what can be done.

Sadly the gun is pretty bad. It was liberated from a shed, where it had been laying in a nice bed of straw for a long time. I grabbed it up, had the numbers run through a LEO buddy of mine and started toying around with it.

Haven't posted pics before but I will try. The reason I thought about the parkerizing was to help fill in and then hide the flaws.

Maybe it would it be better to just ship it to you for an estimate?

Either way I like the gun, it's a little cannon, but I don't want to dump money into a pit... no pun intended.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Sadly the gun is pretty bad. It was liberated from a shed, where it had been laying in a nice bed of straw for a long time. I grabbed it up, had the numbers run through a LEO buddy of mine and started toying around with it.

Haven't posted pics before but I will try. The reason I thought about the parkerizing was to help fill in and then hide the flaws.

Maybe it would it be better to just ship it to you for an estimate?

Either way I like the gun, it's a little cannon, but I don't want to dump money into a pit... no pun intended.

might be better to email me some pics or post them on here before you ship it to me for a quote.... its its as bad as you say it is, the "pit" might be a little bit deeper than you hope.... either way we cannot determine a price until i see the condition of the pistol first.

Top Bottom