• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    So a guy responded to my WTS ad for a handgun, and is 19. No problem, says I, having read the IC's regarding private party sales to persons over 18 but under 21 (Didn't know that before INGO, incidentally. Thanks).

He then asked me if I had any ammunition I could sell him as well--which I don't--but it made me think that I had no idea if that was legal.
    Come to it, I don't even know if its store policy or state/federal law about handgun ammo to 21+, shotgun/rifle ammo to 18+.
    Further, I've never been sure how this is even defined. .357 or .38, for example, or why .22LR tends to err on the side of long guns.

I just finished skimming the IC code but didn't see anything there.
    :dunno:

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    So a guy responded to my WTS ad for a handgun, and is 19. No problem, says I, having read the IC's regarding private party sales to persons over 18 but under 21 (Didn't know that before INGO, incidentally. Thanks).

He then asked me if I had any ammunition I could sell him as well--which I don't--but it made me think that I had no idea if that was legal.
    Come to it, I don't even know if its store policy or state/federal law about handgun ammo to 21+, shotgun/rifle ammo to 18+.
    Further, I've never been sure how this is even defined. .357 or .38, for example, or why .22LR tends to err on the side of long guns.

I just finished skimming the IC code but didn't see anything there.
    :dunno:

I'm not sure about the legality of it as I am not a lawyer however I do own a .357 lever action rifle and when I went to buy ammo for it ( I was 19 at the time) I was asked by the walmart employee if it was for a rifle or a pistol. I answered that it was for a rifle and they had no problem selling it to me. If I had said it was for a pistol then I have a suspicion they would have denied the sale. Thats my personal experience with that anyhow.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    To the best of my knowledge is that it is a state law that you can not sale handgun ammo to anyone under the age of 21, and you must be 18 or older to purchase rifle & shotgun ammo.

At least thats what GM told my son who is 17.

As far as privet sales... I don't know...

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    You only have to be > 21yo to buy a pistol, or pistol ammo, from a dealer. If you are >18 yo, you can buy, sell, carry, etc. all the pistols & pistol ammo you want.

21 is a federal requirement for FFL's, 18 is what IN says, unless you get it from your parent/guardian.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    As applied to FFLs from the BAFTE website
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Conduct of Business (Licensees)
    Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee? Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]
    Q: May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old? Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]
    27 CFR 478.99(b)
    (b) Sales or deliveries to underaged persons. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition, is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age, or
    (2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery, or other disposition, unless the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance.

18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

I personally am not seeing anything in 18 U.S.C. 922 (a) that would cover sale of ammunition to those under 21; for Indiana law, all I can find in regards to ammo is IC 35-47-5-11 and that has nothing to do with age, it's exclusive plastic coated metal core "armor piercing". So it would appear in my non legal opinion that personal sales to those under 21 are not an issue, and that if it's for a rifle it's good to go. Hopefully Guy will see this and be able to offer some solid legal advice.

Now walmarts and such that carry firearms then have an FFL, so it doesn't surprise me at all that policies are written uniformly strict so as to prevent the corporations from getting into legal trouble.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    If its in a caliber that they also readily make rifles for(Lots of lever action rifles are chambered in rounds that are used in pistols) then you don't have an issue.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Just a neurotic hang-up of mine, but I try not to sell firearm, magazines, and ammo, in the same FTF transaction. Maybe two, but not all three.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    Just a neurotic hang-up of mine, but I try not to sell firearm, magazines, and ammo, in the same FTF transaction. Maybe two, but not all three.

What's the worry? Chances are if your setting up a FTF sale with someone from this forum that they are already armed with one in the chamber. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    As applied to FFLs from the BAFTE website
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Conduct of Business (Licensees)

I personally am not seeing anything in 18 U.S.C. 922 (a) that would cover sale of ammunition to those under 21; for Indiana law, all I can find in regards to ammo is IC 35-47-5-11 and that has nothing to do with age, it's exclusive plastic coated metal core "armor piercing". So it would appear in my non legal opinion that personal sales to those under 21 are not an issue, and that if it's for a rifle it's good to go. Hopefully Guy will see this and be able to offer some solid legal advice.

Now walmarts and such that carry firearms then have an FFL, so it doesn't surprise me at all that policies are written uniformly strict so as to prevent the corporations from getting into legal trouble.
    Appreciate you running down those references....Can someone rep him for me, I'm tapped out.

What's the worry? Chances are if your setting up a FTF sale with someone from this forum that they are already armed with one in the chamber. :dunno:
    I'm with you...in for a penny, in for a pound, and I never had trouble getting ammo when I was under 21 anyways.

Top Bottom