• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Does anyone have a backup hand pump for their well? Specifically one that can draw water beyond 25ft. I found a pump from Hand Water Pumps, Motorized (Great with Solar), by Simple Pump. that says it can draw from beyond 200ft.

It also says it can be tied into your pressure tank so that you can have running water inside your house.

Does anyone have something like this? Does it work well? What should I be on the look out for?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had my well guys run an extra valve so that I can add a handpump in my basement. I saw a pick of one awhile back but I don't k ow where to get one. I wanted to go that route so I wouldn't have to pull my electric pump at the well to set the hand pump. My well is only 53' deep and the water level is 10-15' deep. I just have about 80' of line to draw from the well to the house. This way I don't have to go out in the freezing cold to get water in the winter.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    I've done a lot of looking on this subject, and looked at the pump that ties into your current line and pressurized your pressure tank. But I can't help but think it would take a lot of effort to draw water from a deep well, through lines, and then actually pressurize your pressure tank. I am old school. Hand pumps have worked well for many, many years. Baker monitor makes pumps that the forest service uses all over the country. Simple, rugged, and effective. If I were to get a pump system, to have "just in case" it would be the old school hand pump. ESPECIALLY for a deep well. PVC, in a deep well with a hand pump will stretch and contract with the stroke of the pump. Learned this from a good well guy. That means failure in my book. So, old school. But that's just my opinion.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have been working with the people from Simple Pump. I like the detail of their site, and their installation video. I like the idea of having it parallel to my electric pomp. I am still gathering data, but that is the way I am leaning.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a regular shallow well hand pump that I picked up at the hardware in Shispshewana. I believe it said it was good to 30 which is fine for my shallow well located in the basement.

GSquared

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Columbus
    I hand drove a well through the sump in my basement to use for watering the grass and bought a hand pump from Bear Hardware in Nashville to plumb to if ever needed. The water is only 10' under my basement floor, so I shouldn't have any issues with pumping it up. Make sure you have repair parts for your hand pump. Depending on the design, the leather can dry out or the plastic/rubber can degrade and crack over time..

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Here is a thought... you can make a bailer bucket out of a PVC pipe and a check valve. You can slide it down the well shaft. The check valve need to not be sprin loaded. It will fill from the bottom up. You can haul it up and get water. It is not as cool as a pump, but it is more simple and labor to pull it up is free and does not require power.
    There are some youtube vids for it.

nosybobby52

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    why not spend the extra change for a gen that will run the water pump,sump pump and furnace if yours is propane or fuel oil.cause if the power goes and your worried about water you'd better remember how cold it was last winter.stay safe.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom