• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    They work. Not sure what you plan to do with 10 watts though. Charge a cell phone? Crank the sucker for an hour and get back to me.

My issue with devices like this is the loss in Inverting to 120V AC then converting 120V AC to 5V DC (charging phone, ipad, etc...) Why not charge straight to 12V SLA battery then use DC to power DC devices. A small Bucking converter to power USB devices etc.. Not to mention the large number of devices that already have "Car Chargers" or 12V inputs in addition to 120V AC inputs makes this solution far more palatable. You can make your own SLA crank charger with a treadmill motor or put that treadmill motor on a stationary bike for some real charging power. Now you don't have to give yourself carpel tunnel to charge your IPad.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    We must attach it to a bicycle!

Gilligan108.jpg

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    I've always thought that a car alternator attached to an exercise bike would be the best way for human power, you can get a 40-60 amp alternator pretty cheap from most auto parts stores, and an inverter if necessary

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've always thought that a car alternator attached to an exercise bike would be the best way for human power, you can get a 40-60 amp alternator pretty cheap from most auto parts stores, and an inverter if necessary

About the best you are going to be able to sustain is about 50-75 usable watts. If you are in shape you might be able to do it for an hour or two. Not bad if you plan on exercising daily anyway, but not a good source of emergency power long term.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    About the best you are going to be able to sustain is about 50-75 usable watts. If you are in shape you might be able to do it for an hour or two. Not bad if you plan on exercising daily anyway, but not a good source of emergency power long term.

Dang! That cant power my xbox! How will I survive. :)

In all seriousness has anyone here ever used solar panels to power say like a chest freezer. I've always thought it would be a good idea in case of any kind of power outage. Cost? size? Seems like a much better (and easier) option than using hand cranks and bicycles.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    Dang! That cant power my xbox! How will I survive. :)

In all seriousness has anyone here ever used solar panels to power say like a chest freezer. I've always thought it would be a good idea in case of any kind of power outage. Cost? size? Seems like a much better (and easier) option than using hand cranks and bicycles.

You'd need a whole lot of panels, a $190 kit from Harbor Freight will put out 45w, 10 of those would probably do a chest freezer (assuming you have a bank of batteries to power it during non-peak hours), so figure 2-3 grand. At that point, you're better off with a generator

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    reminds me of this.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Flashlight--Batteries--Simply-Recharge/dp/B000637LTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360129723&sr=8-1&keywords=shake+up+flashlight]Amazon.com: Shake Flashlight- No Batteries- Simply Shake to Recharge: Home Improvement[/ame]
    I don't know.. it may be good for that one time use though?

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    i bought one of these it can charge my cell phone when I am backpacing
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071BTJPI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Ambient Weather WR-111B Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Digital Radio, Flashlight, Cell Phone Charger with NOAA Certified Weather Alert & Cables: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

has a solar cell and a crank I also like that it has a weather radio

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    They make 12&24V DC freezers

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Or... you can have a couple solar panels charge a bank of 4 deep cycle marine batteries, with a 10,000 watt AC inverter with those batteries also charging while your engine runs, Engine off, solar panel keeps it topped up.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I can always power it with my generator. It's probably much cheaper just buying a few propane tanks. Solar sounds cool but with those prices it seems impractical. I need to clamp an amp meter on my freezer and see how much power it really draws.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom