• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Now you are getting close to proving yourself wrong. Despite the fact that Cabelas is a 'destination' for many people it does not bring in much as a % of the city's budget. You clearly indicated that a lot of the city's revenue is directly related to gun sales. You are a long way away from proving that, and I suspect that any revenues derived from Cabela's TOTAL contribution to the city amount to less than 1% of the city budget. I've been a business owner in NW Indiana my whole life, currently own industrial property in NWI as well as retail stores. I can assure you that your assumptions are very far from reality.

But I'm still waiting for you to prove yourself.

With an estimated 4 million customers a year and 400 (tax paying ) employees , and given the fact that Cabela’s would not have opened the store if they could not sale firearms, then you could be right, Cabela’s is an insignificant contributor to the city of Hammond, probably less than a 1% contributor. :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hey Bob, I'm getting ready to post something in the handgun section if you want to follow me there and try to find fault with my post.
    I couldn't care less where you go. I'm not a follower. Especially of someone who seems to have no facts to share.

With an estimated 4 million customers a year and 400 (tax paying ) employees , and given the fact that Cabela’s would not have opened the store if they could not sale firearms, then you could be right, Cabela’s is an insignificant contributor to the city of Hammond, probably less than a 1% contributor. :dunno:

Again you are making a whole list of false assumptions. You assume that they have 400 tax paying employees paying tax to Hammond. Further, you assume that their income taxes actually go to Hammond, which, in fact, they do not. Those taxes go to either Indianapolis or to Washington. Only a small fraction may come back in some form. Ditto state sales taxes, only a fraction is returned to the city.

Again, still looking for FACTUAL evidence.

You make statements but can't back them up.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I hope a gun fight doesn't break out. You two seem angry at each other.:D

Rodney King - "Can't we all just get along"?

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I couldn't care less where you go. I'm not a follower. Especially of someone who seems to have no facts to share.

Again you are making a whole list of false assumptions. You assume that they have 400 tax paying employees paying tax to Hammond. Further, you assume that their income taxes actually go to Hammond, which, in fact, they do not. Those taxes go to either Indianapolis or to Washington. Only a small fraction may come back in some form. Ditto state sales taxes, only a fraction is returned to the city.

Again, still looking for FACTUAL evidence.

You make statements but can't back them up.

No, I am not assuming that all of them pay taxes to the city of Hammond, I only stated that there are 400, tax paying, employees. And beleive it or not, some of their earnings stay in the city of Hammond, these are the facts. I'm sure that none of the Cabela's employees or Cabela's themselves contribute as much as you do, but the finacial impact would be felt if Cabela's left.

Are you by nature argumentative or are you just targeting me because we have differnt viewpoints about unions?:dunno:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    What you're saying is akin to:
    The city of Hammond supports catholic views because Alverno Clinical Labs is in Hammond.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    You must remember that the father of the Hammond Mayor worked for the company that lobbied to build Cabelas in HAMMOND . The mayor threatened to condemn the land and seize it from the Woodmar Country Club for the purpose of building the Cabelas store .His father received a large bonus for getting the deal closed.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    this should be resolved by the end of the year. the first lawsuit will make hammond reconsider pulling that law off the books..

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    1. Let's not make Bill B the face of this. The St. John incident makes me a poor choice for public consumption.
    2. Cabela's employees pay no taxes to Hammond or Lake County. Lake county is the only county (I think) that doesn't have a county option income tax.
    3. The mayor of Hammond is from California and was (allegedly) a "R" before he decided to run for mayor, then suddenly had an epiphany and became a "D"
    4. Enough members of the city council are employed directly by the city or the county that the mayor, who is also head of the "D" party in the county, usually gets what he wants.
    5. The sad, sad truth is that the mayors' opponent in this years election is actually worse than he is.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Here are the facts, I am not trying to make this thread about Cabela's. I am stating that if the Mayor and City Council are anti-gun that would make them "hypocritical" for allowing Cabela's to come to the city as a retail merchant. I am not trying to be argumentative, I am only stating an opinion the same as many other posters do here.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Here are the facts, I am not trying to make this thread about Cabela's. I am stating that if the Mayor and City Council are anti-gun that would make them "hypocritical" for allowing Cabela's to come to the city as a retail merchant. I am not trying to be argumentative, I am only stating an opinion the same as many other posters do here.

Here are the facts: cabelas has 400+ employees, it is located in Hammond. That's all I can see from your posts.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You didn't see the 4 million visitors (customers) per year? I'm pretty sure that 4 million visitors to Hammond would be considered significant. Oh, that little fact was posted earlier in the thread.

Okay, I'll add that to the very short list.

I still fail to see how Cabelas, or any other business for that matter, effects the local laws or the tax structure in any significant way.
    You make it sound like the city council members are sitting on their board of directors.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Okay, I'll add that to the very short list.

I still fail to see how Cabelas, or any other business for that matter, effects the local laws or the tax structure in any significant way.
    You make it sound like the city council members are sitting on their board of directors.
    As I stated before, it makes the Mayor and Council Hypocrites for allowing a retailer to come to their city and then be against the products that they sale.
    Wanting the retailer there was based on revenue for the city.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It's one thing to be negligent it is another thing to be intentional. The city council meeting removed any defense of negligent in removing the ordinance and put it into the relm of intentional wrong doing.

oooohhhhh, aaaaahhhh me thinks the future case against them just got so, so much stronger!

1. Let's not make Bill B the face of this. The St. John incident makes me a poor choice for public consumption.
    Negative! You have already gone thru the ringer once. & typically the "gun cases" around the nation and not with "clean people" but with "people with records" of which you know fit the Bill. :laugh::laugh::laugh: "You people" already have the reputation of causing trouble so I as represenative of NWI INGO vote you into the shark pool. Don't let us down now. ;)

2. Cabela's employees pay no taxes to Hammond or Lake County. Lake county is the only county (I think) that doesn't have a county option income tax.
    As of 2010 we, LAKE COUNTY INDIANA, are the ONLY county left in Indiana that does not have a county tax.
    /url?q=https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx%3Fid%3D9293&sa=U&ei=4yhVTsvHGIjTgQfciMgu&ved=0CBEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHFDVD-VMPRyb8ZVccUjiEV5XJubg

4. Enough members of the city council are employed directly by the city or the county that the mayor, who is also head of the "D" party in the county, usually gets what he wants.
    ^THIS!

Not all on the council voted against "not fixing" the hammond code so they are not all anti-gun now. You can be "hypocritical" and still love money. Yes Hammond brought cabelas becuase it was a good money deal for them. That Cabela's sells guns was an 'evil" they were willing to deal with. After all with that "evil" then they could ask for more money from the state/fed to protect the children. See how it's all about money.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    So would I be justified in using force or deadly force to stop this? Do I have a duty to retreat?:):

The Cabelas thing has gotten out of hand. This is about Hammond and the upholding of an illegal law.
    And, yet, it still goes on. Maybe they need a chat room to argue in.:laugh:

So, how long before Hammond is drug into court or settles because of their law that conflicts with Indiana's current law? I give it til the end of October.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    "You can stand me up at the gates of Hell but I'll stand my ground and no, I won't back down" - tom petty

Northern IN always seems liberal to me, lot more than we are down here in Northtucky.

Top Bottom