• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I loved the Scooby Doo statement. BTW, is there any chance that the attorneys for the City of Hammond DIDN'T finish in the top 98% of their law school graduating classes?

I don't think the attorney was lacking in brains. I think he was hired to defend the indefensible. While he is sucking off the public teat, I do think he is trying to defend Hammond's position.
    The problem is, it's probably just rolling the bill up, before defeat. Then again, maybe not. I don't know the judge. Some judges just need something SLIGHTLY plausible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Very nice summary, Actaeon. Thank you and rep to you. Do you know what the next step is or where this is going from here?

From what I understood, the judge should be rendering a verdict on the "summary judgement". That was Guy, asking for the case to me moved to trial.

Hammond had a motion to dismiss the case, but dropped it (the motion).

If the judge rules for summary judgement, the case will be expedited.
    If the judge rules against summary judgement, the case move forward at the normal slow progress of the law.

At least that is the way I understand it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for the reps guys.
    Normally, it seems when I type in 3 lines, I get reps.
    When I type in a long involved thoughtful statement, nothing.
    Not that I need recognition. It's just an observation.

I hope Guy or someone let's us know the ruling, and when the case goes back to trial.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I know Jensen (the lead attny for Hammond)... He is an EXCELLENT attorney and very experienced in the courtroom with many years of litigation experience. Probably why all the other six lawyers just sat there.... He is definitely not one to be underestimated!!!

If you cant argue the facts, argue the law... if you cant argue the law, argue in circles showing your legal brilliance. If you cant baffle them with Brilliance... befuddle them with Bu&^(S*T !!

You should see him in court when he has a credible case...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    From what I understood, the judge should be rendering a verdict on the "summary judgement". That was Guy, asking for the case to me moved to trial.

Hammond had a motion to dismiss the case, but dropped it (the motion).

If the judge rules for summary judgement, the case will be expedited.
    If the judge rules against summary judgement, the case move forward at the normal slow progress of the law.

At least that is the way I understand it.

ATTYs is this correct? The way I was told GUY via his summary judgement was asking the judge to look over the facts and the arguements that both sides gave and make a decision in the case NOT sending the case to trial.

:dunno:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    There were three things being argued:
    1) The cities motion to strike Senator Tomes affadavit
    2) Guy's motion for summary judgement for our side
    3) The city's motion for summary judgement for their side.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    SUMMARY JUDGEMENT

From Wikipedia:
    In law, a summary judgment is a judgment entered by a court for one party and against another party summarily, i.e., without a full trial. Such a judgment may be issued on the merits of an entire case, or on discrete issues in that case.
    ...SNIP...
    Absent an award of summary judgment (or some type of pretrial dismissal), a lawsuit will ordinarily proceed to trial, which is an opportunity for litigants to present evidence in an attempt to persuade the factfinder that they are saying "what really happened," and that, under the applicable law, they should prevail.

Looks like summary judgement means that the judge will rule on the case without the case actually going to trial.

Summary judgment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Wow, an inside the courtroom report. It's like a random act of journalism just broke out.

Did anyone do a courtroom sketch?:D

Any hint of a decision date?
    Guy:
    Stick_Man.jpg

Hammond attorney:
    stickman_sad.png

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    By the way, our motion was only for a "partial" summary judgment - on the issue of liability only. We are asking for the judge to rule only that: 1) As a matter of law, the City of Hammond violated the Indiana Firearms Preemption Act; and 2) Plaintiffs have standing to hold the City accountable for that breach.

Guy

Top Bottom