• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    OK, so my first gun purchase was from a private sale. I have never bought a gun from a gun shop, and was wondering if it was acceptable to haggle?

If so, what would be an average percentage you would try to talk them down? or, would you just try to get them to throw in a couple boxes of ammo?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I try to haggle anywhere it never hurts to ask. I'd start by find the lowest price anywhere and try to end up no higher than that with my negotiations. If they don't want to take money off I'd ask for a extra mag or a box or 2 of ammo. Perhaps to buy ammo or accessories at cost for the gun being purchased.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep in mind that markup on a firearm is pretty low... It's the accessories where their real profit lies. I've found that it's much easier to haggle on "stuff" than on firearms. Kind of like "I'll buy this revolver if you throw in that gun-rug" type of thing.

-J-

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Ive had a lil luck with bradis but that was a couple years ago I talked em down 20$ and got them to price match the 1 and only time they wasnt already cheaper than another shop. (very rare) But like was posted above if you focus towards a free mag or small box of ammo or maybe just a discount on some accessories you'll do good. Ive gotten free mags, 15% discounts, a few bucks off here and there. I spend more than planed sometimes And this helps them move stuff.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The only time I mind customers trying to haggle is when they come in acting like they are "entitled" to something...

Remember that there's no harm in asking, but the answer might be "no".

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    When I go into any store, I feel like I am entitled to simple respect, and the realization that without me and others like me, that particular store isn't gonna last long. The reaction I get in the first 30 seconds usually tilts me towards, or away from a purchase.

I do haggle, but there are times, like my last purchase.... :rolleyes: where I'll pay the price, because I want that particular item.

I've dealt with the same local store for many years, and they will do things with/for me and a few others that won't happen with other customers. There's a mutual respect there, that's hard to beat. Two weeks ago, I called for some primers. He had 2K of what I wanted left. I asked him to hold 'em for me, and he did. When I picked them up, I also bought some other stuff that I really didn't need, but as a "thanks" for holding the primers. Nothing was said, nothing needed to be said.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    New guns? No haggle, they usually get a slim margin on those. Used guns? Yes and no. If its a popular item, naw, Ill skip it. If its a low demand or a gun that has been in the shop for quite some time, then heck yes. Alot of times, gunstores command a larger margin on used guns than new guns. Plainfield is an epic example of that: Alot of his guns are trades, but he will usually always ask for cash in a trade in situation. He is making that money, plus the money from the gun, off set by loss from the trade itself (if on another used gun, loss is usually lower). Plainfield will cut a deal if its a slow day (usually a BIG deal) on used stuff. Ask him for a deal on new stuff (what do you mean? His pricing is usually really good anyways! :) ), he will explain his 10% over cost to you.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If I feel something is way high, I just leave it alone. I know they aren't going to knock $200 off.

If it's what I want and already around what I was expecting to pay I just ask "What's the cash out the door price?" or "What's the the bottom dollar on this?" Don't demand a lower price or act like he has to drop the price. If you can't agree on a price then it wasn't meant to be. He'll find somebody to pay what he wants out of it, and you'll find a gun you'll be happy with at the price you want to pay.

The more you argue, the less likely the price is coming down. Or that he will even sell it to you at all.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Always haggle. Always!

This!

I've haggled on every gun I've ever purchased. And I've reached a good compromise for both the dealer and me in every negotiation. As long as you are getting the gun at a price that the both of you think is fair it's a win-win. Did I always get the 'best' deal? Probably not. But I've been happy with them all, and there's a lot to be said for buying from your LGS rather than the internet dealers. Of course, using the internet dealers to help you negotiate a price is fine - just remember that you have to consider shipping, transfers, etc. In the end, I've found that I can get nearly equivalent deals at my LGS - and have a good time shoot the sh.., er breeze with them while I'm there.

:rockwoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    More great input, thanks everyone!
    The Bersa I have on layaway is pretty in line price wise with the internet, once you consider the additional fees. Still gonna try and get some ammo though :D

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    But wait... isnt that the same as giving a lowball offer? And I know we have had some members whine about that!!! :rolleyes:

IMO, a low ball offer is not the same as haggling over the price. A low ball offer is extremely low offer equivalent to what a local gun store would buy a gun off an individual to resell.

I believe it is acceptable to negotiate the price within reason. Guns are like jewlery and other high dollar items you purchase. Typically, the higher dollar items the more likely it is that people will negotiate price point.

Ulitmately the value of anything is what one person is willing to pay for it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I always ask if I can get a better price. If they say no, and the price is fair, I will buy it anyway.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    New guns? No haggle, they usually get a slim margin on those. Used guns? Yes and no. If its a popular item, naw, Ill skip it. If its a low demand or a gun that has been in the shop for quite some time, then heck yes. Alot of times, gunstores command a larger margin on used guns than new guns. Plainfield is an epic example of that: Alot of his guns are trades, but he will usually always ask for cash in a trade in situation. He is making that money, plus the money from the gun, off set by loss from the trade itself (if on another used gun, loss is usually lower). Plainfield will cut a deal if its a slow day (usually a BIG deal) on used stuff. Ask him for a deal on new stuff (what do you mean? His pricing is usually really good anyways! :) ), he will explain his 10% over cost to you.

Plus Bob gives 10% off ammo and accessories when you purchase a gun! His prices are great, I have however asked for He had a mini revolver marked 139 I asked if he would take 130 he said no but he would take 129!

Like has been stated, he sells guns for about 10% over his cost. I am good with that. Also he is good people so even if something is a little higher there (which rarely is the case) I am willing to pay for it.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree, there's a difference between low ball and haggle. I can usually get $20/25 knocked off and a couple of targets / little stuff thown in. But I do it in a friendly way and take it easy; not make it a contest. If they can't come down and I do want the gun, I will buy it to keep a customer loyality bond with them. The can't cut a deal on every gun I'm sure but I do appreciate the times when they can. I understand they have to make a living. Anyway it's always nice to be friendly with people that own a building FULL of guns......

I can get a deal everytime when I cross my eyes and tell them I have a metal plate in my head from playing soccer with a large rock. Ain't nothing like it when a FFL Dealer hands you a gun with big ole sad puppy dog eyes.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Never unacceptable to haggle, but as was said above, know what is fair for the item going in. Like a couple of the other posters, I've haggled good deals, walked away from guys who acted like they were entitled to screw me, or that I was trying to screw them asking for a price break on their massively overpriced item, and sometimes even paid tag price when I knew it was a good deal and had confidence in the seller.
    PS. Case in point, the 686 in my avatar. Big hats off to Hummel's Sporting Goods in Portland. Came down a very little, but price was already crazy good, so I didn't push my luck. Thanks Mr. Hummel.

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Having done Gun Shows for about 10 years I have found that many people will not buy , unless you give them a better deal. So....If I wanted $300.00 for a particular gun I would price it at $325.00. Then you had the guy that will just pay the $325.00 and not ask. Ammo was where I just didn't have any wiggle room.

Top Bottom