• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love taking new people shooting with me to the range, but what I experienced last Saturday wasn't what I had in mind. I was at the range pretty early and was the only one there. Set-up like normal and shot a few mags off at the pistol range. Took a minute to reload and crawling out of the backstop was a raccoon. He seemed a little disoriented as I guess I had just woken him up. Probably was under the cover of the range since there was a lot of snow on the ground. I actually thought I may have shot the little guy since he seemed kind of bewildered and crawled out in the front of the targets disoriented and started cleaning himself off a bit. I know they can be quite nasty critters, but it was really a beautiful thing to be outside doing something that I love and getting up close and personal with the wildlife. He was probably a regular there or even a "member" so I guess he was used to the noise.

picture.php

He tried to climb up on the wall and head down the 25 yd range to catch some more zzzzz's, but that didn't work too long either.

picture.php

Last, he came around behind me, I shared some licorice with him, and he hit the woods on his sugar high...

picture.php

I got back to shooting and did this with my CX4 Storm which I hadn't shot for a while. Since everything was kind of wet out, I shot just leaning against the tables there, so that's my excuse for not shooting a tighter group...:rolleyes: I bought a bipod for it, but haven't purchased the lower rail to mount the bipod/grip. Beretta is kind of proud of those accessories, so I'm saving my :twocents:'s.

The first is a 15 rd mag and the next is a 33 rd mag...

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    There is a slide out rail just under the barrel on the Cx4 is this not strong enough for a bipod? Thinking about adding one to mine as well. Nice range, is it public? Members or own personal?

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is a slide out rail just under the barrel on the Cx4 is this not strong enough for a bipod? Thinking about adding one to mine as well. Nice range, is it public? Members or own personal?

I was shooting at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club. You have to join to shoot there. It's a terrific club to be a part of.

The slide out rail didn't work with the grip/bipod that I plan to use. I really haven't found much that fold out rail is good for, maybe a light but I have mine mounted on the side.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    After what coons did to my roof and attic, I pretty mush view those rings around their eyes as targets.

Yeah I had one try to dig a hole in the side of my house. I went to have a conference with him and my shovel but he had already departed for locations unknown.

That reminds me I need to consider a .22 setup with a suppressor in the future.

engineerchica

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Surprised he hasn't been used for target practice, before. They are cute, until you get up close or they destroy your porch and eat your cat's food.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Took a minute to reload and crawling out of the backstop was a raccoon. He seemed a little disoriented as I guess I had just woken him up. Probably was under the cover of the range since there was a lot of snow on the ground.

You broke one of the gun rules.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
    :D

However that being said you MISSED him!!! They are "cute" animals but are no friend to homes. My mom's attic and chimmeny were totaly jacked 2 years ago when a momma raccon decided she was at club med in my mom's home. It took a pest control company 3 tries before they finally took out the momma and her litter of babies.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I was shooting at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club. You have to join to shoot there. It's a terrific club to be a part of.

The slide out rail didn't work with the grip/bipod that I plan to use. I really haven't found much that fold out rail is good for, maybe a light but I have mine mounted on the side.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

I'm dying to see a CX-4 with a bipod, hurry up and figure it out and take a picture. I just can't visualize it :):

gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Fun picks -- I will 'swim against the stream,' and say I'm glad you didn't make a target out of him. I'm all for defending one's home & property, but that 'coon' and other wildlife don't need to be hunted at a conservation club

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    fcvcc.org i am a member there also and it is an awesome place definitely recommend it

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Fun picks -- I will 'swim against the stream,' and say I'm glad you didn't make a target out of him. I'm all for defending one's home & property, but that 'coon' and other wildlife don't need to be hunted at a conservation club

The club rules specifically prohibit shooting at wildlife anyhow. :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    :+1:
    I'm glad the raccoon wasn't used as target practice, too, rules or not! :)

Top Bottom