Indianapolis
    profile.php

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Man, that's aweful. I'm a dog lover, and have had to put one down myself. The world
    is a cruel place sometimes. Nothing good about this situation for anyone involved.
    Glad you were there for your friend and for Zeus.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure if I could have done that. You are definitely more of a man than I am.

i wouldnt say im a man for what i did cuz it made me feel small as an ant, but seeing a dog shot in the head and in lots of pain was hard to watch... id like to think i could do it to my dogs if one of them got hurt but i honestly dont know if i would be able to pull the trigger on my own pup

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    i wouldnt say im a man for what i did cuz it made me feel small as an ant, but seeing a dog shot in the head and in lots of pain was hard to watch... id like to think i could do it to my dogs if one of them got hurt but i honestly dont know if i would be able to pull the trigger on my own pup

Why did it make you feel small as an ant? You not only did the right thing, but did it as a favor for a friend. That's what good friends are for...I'd do it for one of my friends in a heartbeat.

It's really sad that that adorable dog had to go, but what you did most certainly doesn't warrant beating yourself up over it.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    not sure.. just felt small for it. which was strange since im usually pretty good at turning the emotions completely off and doing what needs to be done. just glad im not getting harrassed about what i did like some people have done to me

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Slightly off topic.. Is that the consensus on technique of how to euthanize a dog? (at least when you are going to shoot it...)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Awww...he looks like such a sweet boy. :( I agree that other than the trespassing, everyone did the best they could. I hope I could do what you did if i saw an animal suffering like that. Sad for everyone.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wow, every part of your story sucks and is depressing. The woman feeling bad after the fact still doesn't make it any better, but some times a lot of bad events line up and come together making "the perfect storm" of a bad situation.

I wish it hadn't happened at all, but there are cases where the most merciful thing you can do is put an animal out of it's misery.

My sister had a cat at the parents house that was a royal pain. So much so that after she moved out she just happened to leave it there. That thing oottied in the house or threw up inside at least once a week and to top it off it was mean. My mom is a real life angel and she was the one who called me and placed the hit on the cat. Kitty accidentally slipped and fell on a bullet a few times in the backyard and then fell into a groundhog hole from what I hear.:whistle:

I'm going to give my dog a hug when I get home tonight after reading this.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    You did what needed doing. Thank you for taking care of the dog, he was a beautiful boy.

And like you said, no one was really to blame.

dsells13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Lafayette
    Yeah, good work on doing whats best for the dog. Sorry about the crummy situation, its better than reading about the woman being torn apart by the dog.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Slightly off topic.. Is that the consensus on technique of how to euthanize a dog? (at least when you are going to shoot it...)

in my opinion, i think the best way is a one shot to the back of the brain area is the quickest and least painful way to euthanize a dog(short of the vet using a product like SleepAway or similar medication). i have shot deer with 12ga slugs thru the heart and lungs and seen them run for 30yards and still be semi-alive by the time i make it over to the deer from my stand and didnt want any think like that for this pup. if there is better insight please share, not that ill ever have to do this again but just in case...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    in my opinion, i think the best way is a one shot to the back of the brain area is the quickest and least painful way to euthanize a dog(short of the vet using a product like SleepAway or similar medication). i have shot deer with 12ga slugs thru the heart and lungs and seen them run for 30yards and still be semi-alive by the time i make it over to the deer from my stand and didnt want any think like that for this pup. if there is better insight please share, not that ill ever have to do this again but just in case...

You made the right shot. A bullet to the back of the head ends the game right now. The only thing you could have done different was to have used a 12ga with 00 and that would have made more of the dog disappear and horrified everyone. I imagine this was a quickly made decision and the tool that was used was the quickest one available. As hard as that shot must have been, you did the right thing and you could not have made it easier on that dog. I'm giving my pup a hug when I get home. This whole situation is just sad.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Tough situation but as others have already said, you manned up and did the right thing. My Dad taught me an important lesson when I was about 13 or 14 years old by having me be there when it was necessary to put our dog down. I practically grew up with that dog so it was a tough lesson. It was one of the few times in my life that I ever saw my dad shed a tear. Less than a year after my dad passed, the dog that he loved was in need of the same mercy. When Mom called and told me the dog was suffering and the local vets were giving her a hard time (different story, no need to go into it here), I knew Dad would have wanted me to do the right thing. So that's what I did. I know exactly the feeling you are experiencing right now. The very fact that you feel that way is proof that you did the right thing for the right reason. Its when you stop feeling that you should worry.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    You are truly a friend to your buddy and his suffering friend.
    Heart wrenching yet humane your actions were required.
    Send our regards to your friend.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    does anyone know of any legal trouble i could have gotten in for putting a dog down with a firearm?? someone asked if i was worried about being arrested and charged with animal cruelty

Top Bottom