Had my first interaction with LE since having my LTCH...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Was on my way home from work last night and a lady hit me broadside as I went thru a county road intersection. When the deputy got there I gave him my driver's license and and since my LTCH was right behind my license I accidently handed him that also. The deputy said there was another paper with my license and I commented it was probably my LTCH. The deputy with him immediately asked me if I was carrying. I must have given him a strange look cause he said " We don't care, we just don't want a gun left at the accident scene or in your car when it is towed". I told him I was on my way home from work and didn't carry when working. Other than some small talk about guns and the deputies and ambulance crew doing their jobs that was the extent of my first LE encounter while having an LTCH. Not very exciting but thought I'd post it anyway.:D

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    even though you don't or can't carry at work, you may take it with you and keep it in your vehicle whie you are at work FWIW

I realize that I can leave it in my car but I don't want to. Just don't want to take a chance on losing a handgun to some kid breaking into my car looking for change or a radio to steal. Believe it or not the deputy told me the same thing last night when I told him I didn't carry when working.:D

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I get pulled over a lot. I always just tell them. And dont start any of that rights crap. Its just as much my right to tell the officer I'm packing as it is your right not to tell. Met some cool guys that way. One even comes out to the house from time to time to BS and shoot a little.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Get a lock box and secure it under a seat or in the trunk while you're at work. (they have safes for this, but I can't remember what they're called).. the first time you stop at a gas station for a Monster energy drink and get mugged, you'll wish you brought it with you to work :)

just sayin'

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Get a lock box and secure it under a seat or in the trunk while you're at work. (they have safes for this, but I can't remember what they're called).. the first time you stop at a gas station for a Monster energy drink and get mugged, you'll wish you brought it with you to work :)

just sayin'

7 years ago I had a car stolen. I've had cars broken into 3 other times in my life. There is NO WAY to 100% secure a firearm in something that's sitting on wheels.

I'm like the original poster, I don't carry when I go to work as I park in a back lot with little light.

It's not a bad neighborhood but you never know when someone will wander through and see a "crime of opportunity"

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    7 years ago I had a car stolen. I've had cars broken into 3 other times in my life. There is NO WAY to 100% secure a firearm in something that's sitting on wheels.

I'm like the original poster, I don't carry when I go to work as I park in a back lot with little light.

It's not a bad neighborhood but you never know when someone will wander through and see a "crime of opportunity"

There's also no way to 100% secure a weapon at home or on your person. I'll choose to carry mine wherever I'm legally allowed to be. I'll secure mine (as best as I can) in my vehicle while at work. If some scumbag omits the 4473 and takes my gun, I have insurance, and my employer has security cameras. I choose to not be a victim when traveling to and from work because there are often times I go places on my way to either place.

If someone has the gun laying on the seat in plain sight, and the keys in the ignition, I can understand the apprehension. For everything else, there's insurance.

:twocents:

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    Let me be the first to say (on page 2) that I hope you're physically okay, and that you can get your transportation ironed out after what sounds like a pretty rough traffic collision.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have been driving many years being as I am a hair shy of 70. Only been pulled over twice. Two for Two no one ever asked me if I was carrying a fire arm or had one in the vehicle.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    There's also no way to 100% secure a weapon at home or on your person. I'll choose to carry mine wherever I'm legally allowed to be. I'll secure mine (as best as I can) in my vehicle while at work. If some scumbag omits the 4473 and takes my gun, I have insurance, and my employer has security cameras. I choose to not be a victim when traveling to and from work because there are often times I go places on my way to either place.

If someone has the gun laying on the seat in plain sight, and the keys in the ignition, I can understand the apprehension. For everything else, there's insurance.

:twocents:

I think it's more of apprehension that it could be used in a crime as opposed the just an asset loss. I had to leave mine in the car yesterday to see my niece on her bday. The wife didn't mention it was on school property until we were on the final street. Almost chewed her face off that she didn't tell me. We usually go places that carrying is allowed and didn't see it coming. Gotta be more prepared next time.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I have never been pulled over or been involved in an accident, and never been confronted by LE while carrying. I have lived in Indiana and worked in Michigan for most of my working life. While I am not sure if Michigan honors Indiana carry permits, I do know my place of employement has not. In fact we have had some serious conversations about guys bringing their shotguns to work during firearms season because they want to go hunting on the way home. The company decided that shotguns are okay as long as they are stored in conjunction with Michigan state law. Which is fine with me.

Top Bottom