• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Perhaps someone here has done this before. I have an H&R shotgun 12g and was looking at their extra barrel program:

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

I'm not sure if I could get a .357 mag or a .44 barrel for this frame? Is it a legality issue or moreso a frame strength issue? It seems the frame is what they are looking for. (SB-1).

Edit: Removed pasted info from H&R site...

Has anyone here been down this road?

Thanks

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've done it several times, and have customers who do it frequently.

Regardless of what you read on the internet - call them, they'll want the serial number off your receiver to verify fitment eligibility.

Tell them what barrels you are wanting fitted.

At the same time, ask them about how long it is going to be.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    The easiest way to get an accurate answer is to call H&R customer service and give them the serial number of your firearm. They are usually helpful. I don't think that you can reach them via email.

I know that one issue with shotguns is that they come with a larger diameter firing pin.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Fireball168 and Parson know not of what they speak ! :D

Just kidding, as usual, they are correct. I do have to give you a warning they didn't give you though. These Handi rifles are addicting ! I think I got into the double digits on Handi rifles before I thinned the herd a little.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You absolutely need to call them. They didn't have what I wanted in stock when I was ready to buy four barrels, so I didn't do it. But, they did have options. I probably missed out on the options I wanted because I believed crap I read on the intertubes instead of just calling sooner.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a caution. They're customer service dept. is notorious for having incorrect or out of date stock lists. Many times, people have called for a barrel and were told they were out of stock or out of production when in fact they were still fitting and selling them. The left hand seldom seems to know what the right hand is doing there since Rem. took over.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    My dad did it. He had to send in the receiver and they fitted a 20GA and 410GA to complement his 12GA slug gun. They worked very well and it wasn't entirely too expensive.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    For those of you who have purchased additional barrels, what kind of time-frame on them fitting the new barrel to the receiver? Days, weeks, months.....?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    OK, big shot in the dark here. I have a Topper Model 158 in 30-30. I know the new barrels won't work on it and I am dying to find a .410 barrel for my little love. Also, I have searched completely and cannot find a SN on this rifle ?????

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Wish they made a barrel in 7.62x39. I had a handi-rifle in .223. It shot well and was accurate. Let a friend talk me into selling it to him.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom