• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They were addressed by amendment, true, but not for quite a few years. Still, though, if you don't like that answer, George Mallory reportedly had three words to say as to why they feel free to disregard the Constitution.

It is also true that the provisions of the Constitution which were duly amended dealt with additional restrictions on certain persons, not interpretation of the actual meaning of the Constitution. In other words, the prohibition on slavery and universal sufferage included all persons born citizens equal rights in those areas. No change was made in the understanding of being a free citizen or the right to vote, just that everyone became included.

Under those conditions, I do not see my argument affected as there was no question raised about the intent of the founders or the clarity of what they wrote, just that we collectively decided that it should be different and amended accordingly. That is different from twisting the meaning, which, once again, the practices of the founders stand as authoritative in establishing what they meant.

In referencing Mallory, I assume you mean 'because it's there'. I could supply some alternatives, but if I did, you would probably have to ban me.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It is also true that the provisions of the Constitution which were duly amended dealt with additional restrictions on certain persons, not interpretation of the actual meaning of the Constitution. In other words, the prohibition on slavery and universal sufferage included all persons born citizens equal rights in those areas. No change was made in the understanding of being a free citizen or the right to vote, just that everyone became included.

Under those conditions, I do not see my argument affected as there was no question raised about the intent of the founders or the clarity of what they wrote, just that we collectively decided that it should be different and amended accordingly. That is different from twisting the meaning, which, once again, the practices of the founders stand as authoritative in establishing what they meant.

In referencing Mallory, I assume you mean 'because it's there'. I could supply some alternatives, but if I did, you would probably have to ban me.

I do, and I'm glad you left them unsaid. Thank you.

Blessings,
    Bill

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    January 26, 2016

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about banning assault weapons. The opinions and concerns of my fellow Hoosiers are essential to the decision making process as a Member of Congress.

As a former law enforcement officer, I respect the constitutional right to bear arms. I recognize that most American gun owners register their weapons, follow all necessary safety precautions, and use them only as tools for protection and/or recreation. In spite of such precautions, the United States has an unacceptably high level of gun violence.

Assault weapons have been developed for military conflict. Most agree that such weapons serve no civilian purpose that cannot be accomplished through the use of other legally available firearms. As your Representative, I have a responsibility to ensure that the most deadly weapons do not end up in the hands of criminals who would use them against innocent Americans.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue and I hope you will continue to contact my office on future issues. I encourage you to visit my website at Congressman Andre Carson | Representing the 7th District of INDIANA where you can view the latest news and updates about pertinent issues and legislation important to you, or follow me on Twitter @RepAndreCarson. You may also sign up for my weekly e-newsletter The Carson Courier to receive periodic updates on my activities in Indianapolis and in Washington, D.C. As always, my staff and I are here to serve you. Please feel free to contact me if we ever can be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

André Carson
    Member of Congress

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    January 26, 2016

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about banning assault weapons. The opinions and concerns of my fellow Hoosiers are essential to the decision making process as a Member of Congress.

​Write him back and inform him that his duty is to uphold the Conctitution, not to decide how to circumvent it.

As a former law enforcement officer, I respect the constitutional right to bear arms. I recognize that most American gun owners register their weapons, follow all necessary safety precautions, and use them only as tools for protection and/or recreation. In spite of such precautions, the United States has an unacceptably high level of gun violence.

Does he even understand that Indiana has no registration and he has no idea what he is talking about?

Assault weapons have been developed for military conflict. Most agree that such weapons serve no civilian purpose that cannot be accomplished through the use of other legally available firearms. As your Representative, I have a responsibility to ensure that the most deadly weapons do not end up in the hands of criminals who would use them against innocent Americans.

Total BS.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue and I hope you will continue to contact my office on future issues. I encourage you to visit my website at Congressman Andre Carson | Representing the 7th District of INDIANA where you can view the latest news and updates about pertinent issues and legislation important to you, or follow me on Twitter @RepAndreCarson. You may also sign up for my weekly e-newsletter The Carson Courier to receive periodic updates on my activities in Indianapolis and in Washington, D.C. As always, my staff and I are here to serve you. Please feel free to contact me if we ever can be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

André Carson
    Member of Congress

So much fail, just call him on his BS.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ​Write him back and inform him that his duty is to uphold the Conctitution, not to decide how to circumvent it.

Does he even understand that Indiana has no registration and he has no idea what he is talking about?

Total BS.

you'all are wasting your time!!!!......he is a liberal dem!!!!!......you could write them a 1000 letters and it won't change the minds......

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis

Total BS.

Exactly...I raised my eyebrows when I saw "register their firearms." This guy is a servant to his party's agenda. How does it make sense to make a law that says they're illegal.....LITERALLY EVERYTHING CRIMINALS DO IS ILLEGAL. Drugs are ILLEGAL that hasn't stopped them. It's the same idiocy they try to legislate people to control them. They're trying to do the same thing with pseudoephedrine. Well maybe we should make it so you have to have a prescription, that'll stop them from making meth right?

****ing morons, all of them. I have access to pseudo, do I even think about making meth? No? Because it destroys your body. They don't punish the people breaking the law so what's the point in having them. If they actually cracked down on drugs and put more manpower in fighting it they wouldn't be in this situation.

Top Bottom