Guy shoots into neighbors apartment while cleaning gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Here is the original link So my friends heard a loud bang in their apartment, found this embedded in their table. (story inside) : WTF

Here is the story
    "So the guy in the apartment beneath them was cleaning his gun, and forgot to clear the chamber, fired it upwards, through the ceiling/floor, through a chair, where it was embedded in the bottom of this table. They called the cops and the guy was charged with unlawful discharge. Fortunately, no one was hurt."

Here are the pictures
    NHbJ0wD.jpg

gJt6DsBh.jpg

iUqeD8Gh.jpg

6YFhjgMh.jpg

QKZCZ0Bh.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just because you are legally capable of owning a gun does not mean you should.
    Glad no one was hurt. This is the crap that we all need to get in check. Problem is, you can't fix stupid.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm afraid we are going to see more of this for a while. With all the panic buying of firearms, many who don't take the time to learn firearms safety or understand how their new weapon functions are accidents waiting to happen.:(

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    Wow. I live in an apartment and this is something I think about every time I handle my firearm. I always try to keep it pointed toward an inner wall, exterior wall (outside) or the floor. I couldn't handle the thought that I injured or killed somebody because I was being careless. Every time you pick up the gun for anything other than holstering it, you eject the magazine and clear the chamber....twice to be double sure and safe....at least that's my rule/routine. Glad nobody was injured here.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I've also made it a habit to check the chamber with a finger. That way you aren't just relying on your sight. Light can play weird tricks. Plus if you have to clear a firearm in a low light situation you already know what an empty chamber feels like.

Wow. I live in an apartment and this is something I think about every time I handle my firearm. I always try to keep it pointed toward an inner wall, exterior wall (outside) or the floor. I couldn't handle the thought that I injured or killed somebody because I was being careless. Every time you pick up the gun for anything other than holstering it, you eject the magazine and clear the chamber....twice to be double sure and safe....at least that's my rule/routine. Glad nobody was injured here.

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    I've also made it a habit to check the chamber with a finger. That way you aren't just relying on your sight. Light can play weird tricks. Plus if you have to clear a firearm in a low light situation you already know what an empty chamber feels like.

Great suggestion! That will be added to the routine.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Something else I've heard about (pretty sure that it was on a YouTube video posted here on INGO)...

Don't check for brass - check for the empty chamber.

Makes more sense on a "psychological" level than it does on the face of it.

If you're only checking for brass there's a chance you can miss it (what if you're shooting steel = dark cases. Or low light and can't see the brassy color?)

But if you're checking for an empty chamber - you'll know that you've got to inspect more closely and LOOK / FEEL for the empty hole.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I suspect that this happens more often than we hear about (the ND). Why is it so hard make sure that the chamber is empty.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A lot of new gun owners didn't have the advantage of having their father, grandfather or uncle, etc. teach them gun safety when they were growing up. Nor did they receive training in the military. I agree that we will see an increase in gun accidents. Too bad because there is a lot of good information available, as well as, courses.

bsnyder413

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Hammond
    this happened in hammond at the police shooting range, to two different cops!!
    i have no idea how people are so careless and dont check their weapons. i always carry plus 1 so i know all of my weapons when loaded have a round chambered. therefore i always clear the chamber of my weapons when unloading. its a ritual, i do the same thing all the time. dont get complacent, safety is 24/7

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    this happened in hammond at the police shooting range, to two different cops!!
    i have no idea how people are so careless and dont check their weapons. i always carry plus 1 so i know all of my weapons when loaded have a round chambered. therefore i always clear the chamber of my weapons when unloading. its a ritual, i do the same thing all the time. dont get complacent, safety is 24/7
    Clearing the chamber, doesn't only mean racking the slide back and forth. It also means looking into the chamber to make sure that it is empty. I'm not implying that you don't do that, I just wanted to make the point.

Top Bottom