• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I gotta tell ya, If I was carrying, I'd feel comfortable with a round chambered, and the hammer down.

It's not like it's the old west and we're going to quick draw with someone.

Even when I carry I CC my S&W 38spl with the bobbed hammer, usually in my back pocket, and the motion of bringing it out, and even DA'ing a shot is still as time consuming as pulling a 1911 out and preparing to fire. Granted, with a 1911, I'm sure it's shorter with someone who has practiced a bit. So, feeling a bit more secure on my part, and all I have to do is pull back the hammer with my thumb and fire, I think I'd like it better.

I like all the responses.

In retrospect, it's no different than carrying a chambered round in any hammerless pistol like a glock, sig, etc., but I guess having that hammer back makes me feel a bit uneasy. Call me crazy. :rolleyes: To me, having to pull the hammer is just another safety, or moment of pause, before something life changing is about to happen.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I don't have a problem with people carrying cocked and locked. The whole point of CC'ing is personal protection.

I don't have a problem, it just looked "curious", considering this fellow walking around with his OC, did not look like the head of a household (very young), kept looking around to see if anyone was looking at him, and wouldn't instill confidence from me, if a situation occurred.

JMO

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I gotta tell ya, If I was carrying, I'd feel comfortable with a round chambered, and the hammer down.

It's not like it's the old west and we're going to quick draw with someone.

Even when I carry I CC my S&W 38spl with the bobbed hammer, usually in my back pocket, and the motion of bringing it out, and even DA'ing a shot is still as time consuming as pulling a 1911 out and preparing to fire. Granted, with a 1911, I'm sure it's shorter with someone who has practiced a bit. So, feeling a bit more secure on my part, and all I have to do is pull back the hammer with my thumb and fire, I think I'd like it better.

I like all the responses.

In retrospect, it's no different than carrying a chambered round in any hammerless pistol like a glock, sig, etc., but I guess having that hammer back makes me feel a bit uneasy. Call me crazy. :rolleyes: To me, having to pull the hammer is just another safety, or moment of pause, before something life changing is about to happen.

You are many times more likely to slip while lowering a 1911 hammer on a loaded chamber than the hammer dropping on its own in condition 1. ND's and AD's happen, that's a fact. The best we can do it to minimize the chances.

Just my :twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Fine, the point being that it makes way more sense than drawing the weapon, then racking the slide, or drawing the weapon and pulling the hammer back. I'm willing to bet the majority of 1911 carriers would agree.

I pull the hammer back on my Combat Magnum when I draw it. Can't see a whole lot of difference with a 1911......unless the hammer has been so bobbed that you cant get a thumb on it.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    You are many times more likely to slip while lowering a 1911 hammer on a loaded chamber than the hammer dropping on its own in condition 1. ND's and AD's happen, that's a fact. The best we can do it to minimize the chances.

Just my :twocents:

Thanks.................great points! I know I'm committing the cardinal sin to some of these posters, but I'm not a big fan of the 1911 for OC or any C for that matter. :) I've had some range time, not a lot, and I enjoyed shooting them, but when I handed them back to my friends, I'd say thanks and nice, and never give it another thought I must have one.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks.................great points! I know I'm committing the cardinal sin to some of these posters, but I'm not a big fan of the 1911 for OC or any C for that matter. :) I've had some range time, not a lot, and I enjoyed shooting them, but when I handed them back to my friends, I'd say thanks and nice, and never give it another thought I must have one.

That's cool, but just so you know, we're a community of friends here, and despite whatever shortcomings and deficiencies in your childhood might have caused the kind of self-loathing or lack of esteem that would result in feeling unworthy to own a 1911, we care. We like you. We think you're a good, valuable person who CAN own the finest handgun ever conceived in the heavens and bestowed on the earth through His servant, John Moses Browning. You don't have to punish yourself for the rest of your life, you can change your future.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That's cool, but just so you know, we're a community of friends here, and despite whatever shortcomings and deficiencies in your childhood might have caused the kind of self-loathing or lack of esteem that would result in feeling unworthy to own a 1911, we care. We like you. We think you're a good, valuable person who CAN own the finest handgun ever conceived in the heavens and bestowed on the earth through His servant, John Moses Browning. You don't have to punish yourself for the rest of your life, you can change your future.

^^^^+1^^^^

I'm sure there's a support group/therapist he could see for this defect. It's a curable condition. There's always hope.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    ^^^^+1^^^^

I'm sure there's a support group/therapist he could see for this defect. It's a curable condition. There's always hope.

I think it's glocktalk.com. There are lots of Glockers over there waiting to become worthy of a 1911...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Some one needs to rep. the reverend of 1911....I have to spread some around

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

Maybe your right.........I've only got 1 .45, and it's not a 1911, so maybe I should put the thousands of rounds of 45 to use with another NEW pistol. :D

Sometimes, a little counselling is all one needs. amen :)

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    So we're strolling around a grocery store tonight, and saw a man CC'ing, which wasn't unusual, until I looked closer.

He was carrying a 1911 .45, and I could have swore the hammer was back on the gun.

Huh!!?? :dunno:

Col Jeff Cooper referred to this as "condition one" the preferred carry for a 1911. If anyone isn't familiar with the platform I can see where it may be cause for consternation.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I also had to think about my day yesterday initially wondering if it was me...but I was carrying my HK yesterday.

I always carry my 1911s cocked and locked with safety on. I don't worry about forgetting to disengage the safety because I practice that way.

Someone already beat me to mentioning the safety problem with thumbing down the hammer onto a loaded chamber...and I don't think the sear likes it either.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Col Jeff Cooper referred to this as "condition one" the preferred carry for a 1911. If anyone isn't familiar with the platform I can see where it may be cause for consternation.

I would normally post some quip about being thankful that after 10 pages we finally have the answer to this mind boggling quandery that was actually answered in the very next post but people say I have been a jerk lately and I shouldn't use this forum for entertainment, only information. Instead I won't say any of that and only offer my gratitude for a proper and well thought out response.

So, Thanks! :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I don't have a problem, it just looked "curious", considering this fellow walking around with his OC, did not look like the head of a household (very young), kept looking around to see if anyone was looking at him, and wouldn't instill confidence from me, if a situation occurred.

JMO

It could of have been me. I always carry a 1911 Kimber cocked and locked on my belt, along with a LCP in my front pocket. I generally try for CC but since I am husky (sounds better than fat) sometimes it is visible if I am reaching for something. I don't really care if it is OC sometimes I do OC. I was at Walmart in Avon last night, I am younger and I probably don't "look" like the person you would pick to rely on but I guarantee I would be one of your best allies if you needed help. Never judge a book by it's cover. Once you have been a victim you will always be watching your back. Sadly I know this.:draw:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I often carry a 1911 be it a Kimber Ultra or Colt Commander in an IWB holster and always cocked and locked. I sometimes use an OWB belt slide holster for a Commander or Gubmunt Model. No matter the type of 1911 or style of holster they are ALWAYS Cocked n Locked. I was taught that way and have trained that way and it works best for me. It's interesting to note that JMB original design did not have a thumb safety. He felt the grip safety was all that was necessary to operate the pistol safely. The US Army insisted on the addition of the thumb safety. Some of the previous posters have mentioned most of the points I would have tried to convey so I'll just add that to me the short trigger travel and light trigger pull of a 1911 would prevent me from carrying a loaded 1911 cocked w/o the thumb safety engaged. It's not if an ND would happen but WHEN. YMMV :twocents: ;) :yesway: :ingo:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Maybe your right.........I've only got 1 .45, and it's not a 1911, so maybe I should put the thousands of rounds of 45 to use with another NEW pistol. :D

Sometimes, a little counselling is all one needs. amen :)

Bless you!

A bit more of my 'opinion' :hehe:
    I have several full sized pistols and carry each one from time to time but, I find that my stainless 1911 is the absolute most comfortable all day carry piece.
    Even with my Tagua OWB holster, the 1911 conceals easily with just an over shirt, if I happen to be someplace that CC is the better choice. However, I'm an OC kind of a guy most of the time.
    I might be wrong here but, I'd bet a box of Federal JHP's you'll find that you really enjoy the 1911 platform and come to love it like all good gun owners should :D

Top Bottom