• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    A relative has asked me to find out the approximate value of her father’s WW-2 era pistol and asked for me to clean it up. It is a P38 - with #4970M stamped on barrel, breech and frame and an eagle 135 as well as bfy 43 on the breech. The breech also has total of 3 eagles. Left and right have 135 under them but the one in the center has a swastika under it. The gun is in very fine shape. The bluing is 90% good. Function without shooting it seems like it will be good. This gun and holster look to be very original as if it were never touched after the war. It has little dirt and grime and the holster and clips look good. It smells like was left in the same state it was in when the American solder brought it back. I am very hesitant to open it\\the gun and flush the inner workings with mineral spirits and lubricate it. I am also hesitant to clean and treat the leather holster. The whole package as is takes me back to the past. Would cleaning it make it loose its authentic military charm? What would you suggest and what can I tell the owner the approximate value is? Thank you very much. Michelles Photos by gadgetmonster | Photobucket
    Michelles

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Clean the piece of weapon, that's for sure. Probably wouldn't do any "reblueing" or touching up to maintain it's value.

As for the leather, it's the same as the holster in my mind: clean it up, treat the leather with a quality (note: QUALITY) leather conditioner and do not try re-touching it.

Also, don't store the pistol in the holster, keep them stored apart. Leather has a tendency to rot and hold moisture, causing corrosion on the gun in the long term.

jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have the exact gun from my Grandfather who brought it back from N. Africa WWII. I cleaned it up 20 years ago with Hoppes #9 and reconditioned the leather with baseball mitt conditioner. Looks perfect and none of the bluing came off.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    More harm is done to value by people who aren't trained in preservation or restoration than from leaving it as it is.

Your relative owns a piece of history. It deserves proper treatment.

Please don't touch it. It could easily be worth more than you might imagine.

Here is a reference to a Walther site. There were approximately 130,000 of these pistols produced during the war. 'What should I pay for it?' and 'How much is this worth' questions? Start here - WaltherForums

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    Clean P38

If it were mine I would coat pistol and all parts with CLP or Ballistol.
    I've used Ballistol on original slings for K98K Mausers with no harmful
    results but I would not risk it with someone elses old leather goods.
    I don't know what mineral spirits would do to the grips possibly bleach them out or maybe nothing but I would not risk that either

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Dixie Gun Works did some preservation work for a friend's Grandma. She had a flap holster and Colt 1849 C&B pistol issued by New York State to her grandpa. (The thread had rotted some and had a bug starting to eat on it.) He served in a group that enlisted in New York during the War over States Rights. What work they done was first class and cost wasn't that bad.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dixie Gun Works did some preservation work for a friend's Grandma. She had a flap holster and Colt 1849 C&B pistol issued by New York State to her grandpa. (The thread had rotted some and had a bug starting to eat on it.) He served in a group that enlisted in New York during the War over States Rights. What work they done was first class and cost wasn't that bad.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but war over states rights? You've got to be kidding.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In order to justify my other comment, I'll make some comments on cleaning. Removing dirt, grime, etc, and giving the gun a proper cleaning with something like CLP shouldn't harm the value. Attempting to restore by, say, rebluing or replacing parts could certainly effect the value in a negative way.

So that said, yes, clean it with some basic Hoppes #9, store it separately from the holster.

Top Bottom