• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Went camping and it rained. Put shotgun into case wet and forgot all about it. Remmingtons finish whatever they are using is worthless as none of my other guns rusted, but this one was pathetic pitted, and rusted THROUGH the coating. So it was time for an upgrade. I thought I would give something new a try and I ended up w/ a pretty awesome shotgun w/ my name on it. I am 100 percent pleased w/ the way it turned out. It was disassembled, sandblasted, coated, and baked. Reoiled and reassembled she looks good. Its a remmy 870 youth 20 gauge because that's what seems to be the best fit for my family. The stock fits me better than I would have though, but it fits my wife great, and 20 gauge because anymore than that and I am afraid she would be hesitant to grab it. (see the last picture for a "game")

the finish is Norrell's Molly Resin, its a bake on coating that I consider superior to duracoat and similar products, but not as good as cerekote and similar products. Its ease of application makes it my favorite DIY firearms finish.

What 4 pieces are missing from this picture? 1 and 2 are easy, 3 is moderate (probably will have to zoom and be very meticuouls) 4. Good luck.

Rep to whoever gets all 4 pieces w/out complaining too much.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Butt pad, magazine cap, rear sling stud, barrel bead

All but one sir. The gun did not come w/ a rear sling stud... To be fair the one you are missing is really almost impossible to get "from the picture" and the picture would not necessarily show its presence either... Otherwise GREAT job. Hopefully my clue given here will help you guess the 4th part.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the picture sux to zoom in on. I couldn't discern the presence (or lack thereof) of the action release or extractor or the internals of the bolt. I give up

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the picture sux to zoom in on. I couldn't discern the presence (or lack thereof) of the action release or extractor or the internals of the bolt. I give up

Ok, I give unfair test on this one. Its the choke tube.... I figured it would give people problems but don't really want to get a hundred guess's at every piece that you just cant see that well. Reps to you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I thought Express shotguns were just bead blasted and blued, there was no coating from the factory.
    Newer ones may have lesser bluing, or minimal factory oil/protecion, I dunno.
    My Express Supermag has been abused and hunted in snow and storms, it's like new.
    But............I use that POS non tactical stuff called Remoil ;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It was a blast and blue finish, but I have never had any other guns w/ higher quality blueing rust as easy as an 870. My guess is that they are not cured in oil properly? Probably more my fault than anything for not being generous w/ oil after I took it out of the box and out into the rain.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In the old days Big Green used some decent protectant, heck after many years most folks still never got it fully off (from under the vent ribs).

Dunno what they use now.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Doesn't wear REALLY well, but slightly better than any typicall blueing. and is leaps above duracoat and alumahyde. But still a far cry away from cerekote

Top Bottom