• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a muzzle break on my savage. 308 that was made and installed by Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles and I can't get it off for my host QD. I'm assuming its lock-tited on there (waiting to hear back for sure). If it is, and I need heat to remove it, what is the best technique with my hand held butaine as to not fubar the barrel or finish?

Thx RNM

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    If it's silver soldered you'll need a good nozzle and plenty of blue flame. Adding oxygen helps. Not sure about finish issues.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Looking at a tube extension for my Benelli M4, and saw where someone said they used loctite on the factory one. Whatever I read said to hit it with a hot air gun to loosen it. Take it for what it's worth.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Depends on the loctite. Blue is just just a little more pressure, Red is 500 degrees. The industrial stuff runs the similar gamut, but I'm guessing it would be the permanent variety given the heat generated via muzzle blast.

I don't think any of their thread lockers are water soluble.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    Lock-tite, even the red stuff, is not "permanent." It just takes a little more effort to break it. I would do a couple heat cycles, then apply good heat and attempt to remove. THe cycles should help "loosen" the bonds that the lick-tite has developed with the threads. I can't speak for the finish either though. I watched a vid from Midway USA where they soldered a permanent swivel stud to the barrel, and the barrel was all colors of heat. This was a raw barrel that hadn't been blued.

1371MARINE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The Region
    If it is soldered, it should be very apparent. I'm guessing it's loctite or rockset, etc... A little heat should do it. Also try some "Kroil" after a little heating, let it set a while and try loosing it before heating again. The heat will expand the gap between the threading and the surface of the loctite to allow the kroil to seep in. It has great creeping properties by it's own right. A really great product that has saved my ass more than I care to remember. Let us know if this works for you

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I had this problem on a CETME a few years ago. What I did was dermal down the length of the muzzle device on opposite sides being careful not to get into any threaded area or barrel. Cut clear through on the area extending past the barrel. I then took a chisel and pounded straight down spreading the muzzle device open like a clam shell. I didn't pound toward the barrel, just more sideways/lateral to the barrel. It surprisingly well. Obviously this is a last ditch thing as I'm sure you probably don't wat to start destroying things on your rifle. I would try anything else first!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Blue Locktite can be broken loose usually without heat. It is not heat resistant. Red takes heat to loosen. Usually a lot! It is semi heat resistant. That is usually what you will see on a barrel nut/break so forth. Yellow equals you're screw. Gotta just about use a cutting torch. All are water and oil resistant.

Look for threads or the signs of a jam nut. Take a pic of the break where it meets the barrel. We should be able to tell from that. I would not be surprised if it is soldered. If it is I would leave it and invest in another break. If it is soldered the barrel end probably has been turned to size to fit the break.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If it is Loctite, heat is your solution since even the red softens around 500 degrees. If it is Rocksett, OTOH, your best bet is to soak it in water for 24hrs since it is rated at 2000+ degrees. I suggest waiting to hear back from Stockade as to which they use before going forward.

From what I could find online, it seems the majority of companies prefer Rocksett over Loctite for muzzle devices.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I had this problem on a CETME a few years ago. What I did was dermal down the length of the muzzle device on opposite sides being careful not to get into any threaded area or barrel. Cut clear through on the area extending past the barrel. I then took a chisel and pounded straight down spreading the muzzle device open like a clam shell. I didn't pound toward the barrel, just more sideways/lateral to the barrel. It surprisingly well. Obviously this is a last ditch thing as I'm sure you probably don't wat to start destroying things on your rifle. I would try anything else first!
    My L1A1 required the same thing to remove the stock Century "loudener".

Top Bottom