• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    I was just offering it up as something else to try if you get the chance. Like I said it is a blast to do too.

I had a K98 trigger guard that I was going to toss out and ended up saving it. I will have to see if I can find some before and after photos of it.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    That's good info to have! I'll need to use this thread when I clean up my (what I believe is a 1934) Winchester repeating arms model 67-22 short. Thanks for the write up! You wouldn't happen to know an approx value?

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    As best I can figure, the gun was worth about $75-$100 in its "rough condition, and probably $150-$200 now. I think it is still worth more as parts than whole. But, that is just a dirty estimate, I have no facts to back it up really. Just anecdotal evidence.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Looks like you did a very nice job,its good to see that there are still some folks out there that have the patience and attention to detail to do this type of thing.
    I'm all for a gunsmithing forum.:cool:

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I did a similar job on my Grandpa's old Western Field 36b. It didn't turn out as clean as this one, but it does look pretty good and is still serviceable. I think it spent many days out in the barn, and I tried to keep some of the imperfections in it. I now regret not taking before pictures! I also wish I would have scoured this site for pointers on re-doing it. Gunsmithing forum would be a good idea, to make finding this information much easier.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    Yeah, I put it up on RimfireCentral as well. As an update, I took the front sight off last night. Nick couldn't get it unstuck, no matter how much kroil he put on it. Well, I think the kroil finally worked stuff loose, because it unscrewed for me with very little effort last night. For those of you that don't know, the front sight on this gun has four changeable front posts: a narrow post, a wide post, a bead, and an aperture. There was a chunk of wood in the spring (don't ask me how that got under there) that wouldn't allow the sights to be changed. It works really well now. Now all I need is a elevation screw for the rear notch sight and it will be complete!

p9208s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Seymour
    I love doing this kind of detailed work. I have a small collection of old and antique rifles that I have cleaned up, repaired, reblued, refinished furniture, and meticulously gone over. I have no interest in their value per se except to me. I build display racks as needed just to show off.... It is getting tougher to find rifles in need these days. Folks are not trading them in so much as they used to, it appears. I make routine stops at the gun stores to look, but don't have enough posts here to make use of the classifieds.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    179809d1373210666t-apple-going-down-billions-tax-fraud-thread-necromancy.png

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I love doing this kind of detailed work. I have a small collection of old and antique rifles that I have cleaned up, repaired, reblued, refinished furniture, and meticulously gone over. I have no interest in their value per se except to me. I build display racks as needed just to show off.... It is getting tougher to find rifles in need these days. Folks are not trading them in so much as they used to, it appears. I make routine stops at the gun stores to look, but don't have enough posts here to make use of the classifieds.
    You'll be hard pressed to find a gun in the condition the OP cleaned up in the INGO classifieds. Keep looking at the LGSs, estate sales, and pawn shops if that's what you want.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Talk about digging deep. 10years! Still pertinent information though. It’s sad that finding older guns like this to work on has become so difficult and somewhat more expensive. There are still some out there but definitely not at the prices they were in years gone by.

Top Bottom