• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Found a guy in tenessee that is going to make me two handles and two hooks... I probably only need one hook for the water bucket, but he threw in two hooks for free with the handles so I cannot complain. Will be 1/2 inch wrought iron w/ a few twists in them. I gave him the liberty of making the hooks how he pleases and sent him some pictures of the cannon so he can get an idea what it looks like. 40 bucks for everything with shipping. He was a pretty nice guy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If freakforge chimes in he might have some input on making handles. He and his dad do forging. What about using trailer tie down D-rings? they fold down.

to narrow for the handles.... BUT, that might actually work for securing the implements.... Ill have to check on that.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    2nd Key being cut out

Right side cap squares... done

My welds are getting MUCH better. This is the final part of the left cap square

Both sides DONE

And they hinge open

Bucket is a bit larger than I would have preferred, but its to expensive to send it back and buy the small size. This will have to do.

The next two pictures are trying to decide where to secure the implements... I think I am going to have them hang under the axle in the middle of the cannon.

Worth noting that the above photo's shows the fully depressed position for cleaning and transport.

now, back to the weekend progress.

I added epoxy over the welds on the cap square. My goal was to not have the very obvious weld show, and to make the capsquare have more of a "cast" appearance. Overall I think I succeeded but I don't think I will really like it until I get some paint on it and see it all blend together.

Wood rasp and metal round file to do the blending

Right side view you can still see the dykem I used while fitting the hing bolt

Left side view I had to redo this one... after the first time blending it in I wasn't happy with how it compared to the opposing side, so I ground it all off and started over. Much happier with the second go around

I hadn't planned on doing this, but I think I am going to weld these pins onto the metal strapping. I think it will give it a more finished look.

Another front view... the bucket size I think is growing on me a little bit.

A couple of pictures of the axle straps underneath of the cannon

I am thinking about welding some of the round stock to the ends of these as well. The part that sticks out in front of the cannon will be cut several inch's shorter, but I am thinking about welding the same size round stock to these as I did on the cap squares. They wont be very noticeable though, and MAY get in the way of tightening the square nuts, but that's really a one time hassle. Your input here will more than likely be accepted as I am 50/50 on this and don't really care either way.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    My opinion on the bucket? Looks good pardner! I also like the implements laid over the top of the axle rather then hanging from the bottom. Easier access. You could make some sort of a tube down at the end of the trails to anchor the handles. Just a thought.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The only problem I have with them being on top is in order to secure them I will have to add a lot of hardware that will clutter things up quite a bit. Also, during transport it seems like there might be a good amount of rubbing causing premature wear on the contact points on the implements. I am just not quite sure yet... the D rings are 5 bucks at harbor freight so I may pick up two of them and give them a try before I make a final decision.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    When I was a kid we had one of the Cannons that was made here in South Bend it was all cast even cast wheels used to shoot it from a bluff out to an open lake.
    I remember loading it with roofing nails once, and a few times with large Ball Bearings , Mostly a blank charge with 3 or 4 sheets of news paper for wadding. We used 12 or 14 inch reynolds wrap around a broom handle as a charge, I'm guessing the bore was near an inch and a half.
    When fired the whole thing would jump in the air a foot or more. Ans was it loud!
    I have one comment about all the bondo, do you think it may crack when the unit is fired?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The bondo is not a continuous layer... once its sanded down its only filling in the small pits that are caused by the sand in the casting. I don't think it will crack. I have had some concern that it may prevent the paint from bonding that well, esp if the barrel has much expansion or excessive vibration. With several layers of paint over it I think it should hold everything in place pretty well, but if it doesn't then some paint stripper and a second attempt with something more durable will be needed. The bondo idea came directly from hern and they have been making these for a LONG time and I don't really have any reason to doubt their advice until I prove it otherwise. We do share the concern though. Only time will tell.

Maybe I am underestimating recoil, but most of the videos I have seen of this size cannon being fired don't appear to recoil very much at all. Nor do the blasts seem as loud as I am hoping this will be. Perhaps experience will prove me wrong.

How much do you think your cannon weighted and what was the charge?

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I was only 8-12 at the time, and this was like 1971-75 so numbers really meant nothing then.
    I do know it was all built/cast here in South Bend and they had a great reputation for a quality product.
    I'm thinking the barrel was 3 feet long
    I remember taking aluminum foil wrapping it around a Large broom stick handle twisting one end closed and filling the charge to near the top enough to twist it closed.
    Then ramming it in the bore and adding some news paper for wadding then maybe a load of something after that and then more wadding.
    We punched it with a pick and inserted waterproof fuse.
    I'm quite sure it was 12 or 14 inch foil.
    It took 2 or 3 Large guys just to push it. The wheels were approximately 2 feet tall and 2 or 3 inches wide and all cast.
    I'd say a minimum of 500 pounds.

We loaded it up on a trailer once and it took 4 BIG guys to push it up.
    I remember Dad drilling the tongue so it could be pulled with a lawn N garden tractor ( wheel horse) and the tongue was close to an inch and a half thick Cast Iron, you had to keep it moving or the lawn tractor would spin out in the sand and you would be stuck.
    At times the charge was increased just to see what it would do.
    But I do remember seeing it Jump more than a foot in the air when fired and digging quite a hole with the tongue and once moving more than 5 feet back.
    Yes I was young and this was one of the most exciting things I can remember as a boy at our cottage, you could hear the report from a half a mile away at our place. Not to mention the roar it would make from the bluff/lake area we were shooting from.
    There is no one left alive that I could get any info at this time about it.
    I did a lot of internet searching but have never seen another like it

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Indy cant you hammer out some "U" shaped staples to hang the loading tools from. There wouldn't have to be crews or anything like the D rings just pre drill and tap them in. You could probably hammer them out cold

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So I am going with a blend of all the ideas.... they will be mounted under the axle, two on each side. I am going to make some square stock Hooks that I will weld to a 1/4 inch thick, square washer and they will be bolted onto the trails. The other end of the handles will ride on them and I will drill a hole through everything including the implement handles and during transport I will run a bolt and washer through them. That will keep the linstock from rotating and banging around on everything, and keep any slipping and sliding to a minimum.

My 14 month old son and I made a day out of going to hardware stores to find what I was looking for. Picked up some chain for the keys, and found three loops that I will use for hanging the implements. Still need one more but they only had three.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I like that! It should work out great. I am going to hate to see you paint that wood :-( But I know it's the thing to do.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger, loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from only the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

Just saying.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    As far as recoil i think you are underestimating. You may have been watching them shoot blanks. the recoil/report is significantly different between when i use a paper wadding for effect versus the 1lb lead ball i use for making big holes. No comparrison between the two. With paper i get 1-2 feet of recoil. With Ball i get 3-4 feet of recoil and satisfyingly loud report

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger, loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from only the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

Just saying.

I see what you did there... not a chance.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    As far as recoil i think you are underestimating. You may have been watching them shoot blanks. the recoil/report is significantly different between when i use a paper wadding for effect versus the 1lb lead ball i use for making big holes. No comparrison between the two. With paper i get 1-2 feet of recoil. With Ball i get 3-4 feet of recoil and satisfyingly loud report

Any chance we can shoot yours sometime soon? Ill provide the powder. Mostly I want to see the thing recoil.... there are a few things I have not done that if the recoil on mine is as bad as you guys are making it out to be I should probably do, but I would like to see it first. Also, do you still have that sheeps skin layin around?

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Absolutely! I will talk to my friend with the range and try to set up a time. I have Lots of wool with your name on it, Sorry it had just slipped my mind until i stumbled upon this again. Ill send you my cell and we can set up a meet.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron

Just saying.

Sounds like someone has read how to deer hunt with a mountain howitzer. :D

MT. HOWITZER

Top Bottom