Gunsite or Louis Awerbuck Yavapai at Boone co?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    After taking Sheriff Campbell's intro to defensive pistol, I am hungry for more training and looking to next year. Has anyone taken both of these to compare and contrast? I am thinking of the intro pistol in either although the shotgun course of Louis Awerbuck sounds interesting. Thanks for any opinions.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've taken his 3-day Gunsite 150 class. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gunsite_indiana150_-_sept_26-28_-_my_aar.html

It was an excellent class, and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to take the next step from "intro" classes.

That being said, it is based on Cooper's "Modern Technique", which is not as "high speed" as some of the newer fighting techniques. Like any class from any instructor, add their teachings to your tool bag and seek out even more training.

VUPDblue and Gungho_1989 have said good things about Awerbuck's shotgun class.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been through Sheriff Campbell's 2-day intro course and the offsite Gunsite 123 (carbine). I've been through many classes with Louis Awerbuck, most of them more than once (I've done the carbine/pistol class 5 or 6 times).

All things considered, I would do both.

If you have to choose one or the other, I would do the class with Louis Awerbuck. If you have to choose between one class with Louis and pretty much anyone else, my opinion is do the class with Louis, unless you've already done it a few times with him.

If you are having any kind of marksmanship problems, I would go to Louis without delay as he is the best at diagnosing and fixing practical accuracy problem of anyone I know.

One might suggest that I am biased because I've spent most of my time as a student with Louis. Or, one might also suggest that I've spent the most time with him because even though there are several great instructors I have patronized (and some not so great), I consider him "the best" and I get the most from his classes.

Given that, you also owe it to yourself to complete a class with John Farnam at some point. He's in Rochester, IN every spring, just like Louis is on Boone County in August.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have done three or four with both. You can't go wrong with either. Louis is a serious no nonsense type guy. I learn more and feel more in tune in that type environment. But they are both GTG IMO.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Do Awerbuck's class. You have trained with Ken already, this will give another experience with a different trainer - both excellent. As far as which class, that depends on what you see the most likely weapon to be used (pistol if you carry, carbine or shotgun for home or duty use).

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Do Awerbuck's class. You have trained with Ken already, this will give another experience with a different trainer - both excellent. As far as which class, that depends on what you see the most likely weapon to be used (pistol if you carry, carbine or shotgun for home or duty use).

QFT

You'd likely learn great things with either instructor, but broaden your horizon by training with someone new.

Carp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    All good comments. You would learn from either.

Louis has an incredible eye for detail and diagnosing problems. As stated above, he is a more than an instructor. He is a teacher.

You never know how long he will still be travelling, so no time is better than now.

Top Bottom