• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This was EXACTLY what I wrote in my review of the course AFTER I attended in October.

No, I wrote that incorrectly... I should have written that is what I wrote on my course eval form provided by gunsite at the completion of the course. I didn't do an AAR. My feelings were mixed in relation to the price point.

I am familiar with the Gunsite curriculum. I might spend that much for an onsite class with the shoot houses and other facilties you don't find many other places, but not for a 3-day class at Boone Co. Maybe if LCT Cooper were teaching it himself . . . but that is . . . unlikely at this point.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I signed up for the carbine class, being pushed to the "yes" by the $300 discount. It also had a bit to do with the fact that it fell on days when I already had a 3 day weekend, and that I really have almost no experience with an AR15. My husband owns one; that's what I will use for the course. I'd like to understand rifles better and then decide on my characteristics of my own AR15.

I also think Campbell is an excellent instructor; I took a pistol class from him when he was sheriff. $700 spread over 3 days isn't the great deal that an Appleseed class is, but it's not out of the norm either.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Is Ken coming to town to teach the class? That's cool!

I had that wrong. Ken was not the instructor.

However, I learned a lot and had an absolute blast.

I would love to write more details but frankly I'm pooped, have a busy week at work, and Revere's Riders next weekend after work... so it's probably not going to happen from me.

I will say that the instructors and protocol did a most excellent job of combining fundamentals with an appropriate pace to keep everyone trying new things as well as working on their finer points and/or bad habits. I'm not a highly-experienced shooter but I've participated in and been an instructor in several sports and activities. The exercises and drills may not have been unique, but the way the fundamentals were explained, executed, and stacked was outstanding.

The methodology was particularly noticeable to me when I shot from behind cover. I've done this before, but this time the way the exercise was stacked upon multiple fundamentals really helped me get a lot more control and confidence and (possibly) even be prepared for what might be different. When you are in an activity, executing it reasonably well, and your brain has some room to think about variation, then you feel like you are rocking :)

And I have to admit I now like the AR. I admit it's cool :)

And in a home defense situation, assuming it was something other than grabbing the pistol from the nightstand, I would now choose the AR over a shotgun. Much more versatile.

The night shoot was a very nice addition, as were the exercises in shooting from different positions.

The transition from carbine to pistol was more challenging than I expected. The physical maneuver was easy, but I was surprised how it just felt odd to make the mental switch to the pistol .

Oh... I should give kudos to the instructors. Jay Tuttle and Jerod Baugh. Jay was the rangemaster and lead instructor. He was friendly but no-nonsense. I had the feeling it was a little bit challenging for him to come out of ex-marine/police trainer mode when I failed to follow his instructions once (it was not a safety issue). You could sort of see his face change in the middle of his sentence ("um this isn't a young recruit or rookie cop. This is a middle-aged woman who paid to be here. I think I'll be diplomatic."). I say that all lightheartedly, btw. Jerod gave me a myriad of individual tips and advice for adjustments. Both of them did a great job of watching us and seemed to regularly find appropriate details for each of us to work on, even though there was a broad range of experience.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Gunsite, and MT, are sorta washed up for me, and $1K for a basic class is absurd. I miss the Ken Campbell days, where a GS course was affordable. Took many a class at Boone County, learned something in all, but the GS and EAG courses are pricing themselves out of the market for me, and I maintain a healthy training budget per year. I have drifted to Suarez courses, and am thinking about some travel courses to NV for a Roger Phillips Point Shooting class. If Swisher would ever make an Indy area class where myself and my shooting buddies could all attend at the same time, I'd do that too! (Mike, that was a hint to hit up GunMutt, and Irish, from the other forums to schedule an Indy meet and shoot, and party weekend!)

Top Bottom