• quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080719/ap_on_go_su_co/guns_legal_challenges_2

By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 5 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Twice convicted of felonies, James Francis Barton Jr. faces charges of violating a federal law barring felons from owning guns after police found seven pistols, three shotguns and five rifles at his home south of Pittsburgh.
    As a defense, Barton and several other defendants in federal gun cases argue that last month's Supreme Court ruling allows them to keep loaded handguns at home for self-defense.
    "Felons, such as Barton, have the need and the right to protect themselves and their families by keeping firearms in their home," says David Chontos, Barton's court-appointed lawyer.
    Chontos and other criminal defense lawyers say the high court's decision means federal laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of people convicted of felonies and crimes of domestic violence are unconstitutional as long as the weapons are needed for self-defense.
    So far, federal judges uniformly have agreed these restrictions are unchanged by the Supreme Court's landmark interpretation of the Second Amendment.
    "The line I'm proposing, at the home, is entirely consistent" with the Supreme Court ruling, said Chontos, a lawyer in Turtle Creek, Pa. A court hearing on the issue is scheduled for late July.
    The legal attacks by Chontos and other criminal defense lawyers are separate from civil lawsuits by the National Rifle Association and others challenging handgun bans in Chicago and its suburbs as well as a total ban on guns in public housing units in San Francisco.
    People on both sides of the gun control issue say they expect numerous attacks against local, state and federal laws based on the high court's 5-4 ruling that struck down the District of Columbia's ban on handguns. The opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia also suggested, however, that many gun control measures could remain in place.
    Denis Henigan, vice president for law and policy at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said Scalia essentially was reassuring people that the laws keeping guns from felons and people with mental illness and out of government buildings and schools would withstand challenges. But Henigan said he is not surprised by felons pressing for gun-ownership rights.
    "The court has cast us into uncharted waters here. There is no question about that," Henigan said.
    "There is now uncertainty where there was none before," he said. "Gun laws were routinely upheld and they were considered policy issues to be decided by legislatures."
    At the Justice Department, spokesman Erik Ablin said the agency's lawyers "will continue to defend vigorously the constitutionality, under the Second Amendment, of all federal firearms laws and will respond to particular challenges in court."
    Cities' outright bans on handguns probably are the most vulnerable laws following the Supreme Court ruling. Many lawyers and Second Amendment experts believe that restrictions on gun ownership in public housing also will be difficult to defend.
    The question for courts will be whether the government has more power when it acts as a landlord, as it does in public housing, than in general.
    "I think there's a very substantial chance that these kinds of ordinances will be struck down because they are aimed at people who have shown no reason to be viewed as untrustworthy," said Eugene Volokh, a law professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, who has written about gun rights.
    San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has said the city will defend the policy as good for public safety. "Is there anyone out there who really believes that we need more guns in public housing?" Newsom said when the suit was filed a day after the Supreme Court ruled on Washington's handgun ban.
    In the District of Columbia, the city housing authority is considering whether its prohibition on firearms in public housing can survive the court ruling, spokeswoman Dena Michaelson said.
    But Volokh and some gun rights proponents said people convicted of crimes are less likely to succeed in their challenges.
    "Many felons may need self defense more than you and I, but the government has extra justification for limiting that right because they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy," Volokh said.
    Judges may find it harder to resolve cases in which nonviolent criminals, particularly those whose only offense happened long ago, are charged with gun possession.
    "Do you think Scooter Libby should have a gun?" asked Douglas Berman, a law professor at Ohio State University who says the ruling will complicate the work of the courts, prosecutors and police. He was referring to former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, who was convicted of perjury, obstruction and lying to the FBI in the CIA leak investigation.
    A more plausible case for being allowed a gun might be made by someone now in his 50s or 60s who was convicted as a teenager of taking a car for a joyride, said Stephen P. Halbrook, a gun rights supporter and lawyer. "You might have a court look at that differently," Halbrook said.
    The Supreme Court has a case on its calendar for the fall that could indicate whether the justices are inclined to expand their ruling.
    In United States v. Hayes, the government is asking the court to reinstate a conviction for possession of a gun for someone previously convicted of a domestic violence crime. In 1994, Randy Hayes received a year of probation after pleading guilty to beating his wife.
    The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the conviction because the West Virginia law Hayes violated does not specifically deal with domestic violence crimes. The question for the high court, then, is a technical one: whether the law has to include domestic violence to be used in the future to prevent someone from owning guns?
    Advocates on both sides of the gun control debate will be watching closely to see whether the court's D.C. decision is relevant to the Hayes case and, if so, how.

I do not want convicted felons to have guns. I don't care if they've paid their debt to society, or not.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    It may well go that people who are Non-Violent Felons may win back that right. Just because you did something stupid does not mean you are violent and would, given the right to own a gun suddenly become a Killer.
    We all know that Bad People who want a Gun for criminal activity won't be stopped because of a law restricting them from having it.
    White collar crime and other non-violent crime is not the same as armed robbery.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They lost some of their rights when they ****ed up. Get over it, should have thought about that before.

Sorry, I can't agree. Why should someone, even someone who once committed a crime, be unable to defend him- or herself from someone who is currently committing one against him or her? That said, however, in my opinion if he or she obtains a gun and then uses it while committing a new criminal act, the penalty for committing that crime should be increased both for the offense by a multiple offender and for the offense being committed while armed.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry, I can't agree. Why should someone, even someone who once committed a crime, be unable to defend him- or herself from someone who is currently committing one against him or her?

+1

What about someone who's convicted of a non-violent felony as a youngster, does he lose all rights to protect his future family and loved ones?

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    so all those violent criminals that want to "protect their families" can just because they want guns now that they ****ed up. Sure there are some that just got a non violent felony and now are done, but there are too many violent felons.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    It may well go that people who are Non-Violent Felons may win back that right. Just because you did something stupid does not mean you are violent and would, given the right to own a gun suddenly become a Killer.
    We all know that Bad People who want a Gun for criminal activity won't be stopped because of a law restricting them from having it.
    White collar crime and other non-violent crime is not the same as armed robbery.

I might agree with that if he had a single conviction on his record. Hell, he could have pulled some dumb stunt as a kid and got caught. But this guy has 2 felony convictions. Even if they are both nonviolent, he has proven that he is too stupid to be trusted with a firearm.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    so all those violent criminals that want to "protect their families" can just because they want guns now that they ****ed up. Sure there are some that just got a non violent felony and now are done, but there are too many violent felons.

Preventative law enforcement? In other words, it's not what you did in the past, it's what you might do in the future that we're protecting ourselves from. If all they do with that gun is target shoot and/or stop someone trying to commit a crime against them, I don't see the problem. As was pointed out, the law prohibiting someone with criminal intent from possessing a gun won't, but it will prohibit a person with a record and NO criminal intent from exercising his God-given right of self-defense. To say otherwise is to say that the gun will cause the former felon to re-offend, and we all know how false that theory is.

Blessings,
    B

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sorry, I can't agree. Why should someone, even someone who once committed a crime, be unable to defend him- or herself from someone who is currently committing one against him or her? That said, however, in my opinion if he or she obtains a gun and then uses it while committing a new criminal act, the penalty for committing that crime should be increased both for the offense by a multiple offender and for the offense being committed while armed.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B
    +2

To point out the height of our INjustice system... The idea that Martha Stewart cannot own a firearm is ridiculous!

Also we all know that laws prevent only the law abiding from following them. The notion that banning felons form owning guns stops the violent repeat offenders from possessing firearms is as asinine as the people who think hanging a "No Gun" sign prevents crime. It's the pinnacle of ignorance.

If someone is too violent to own a firearm they should still be incarcerated! It's like releasing a sex offender and thinking because they can't live within 1 mile of a school they won't ever see another child. :n00b:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    +2

To point out the height of our INjustice system... The idea that Martha Stewart cannot own a firearm is ridiculous!

Also we all know that laws prevent only the law abiding from following them. The notion that banning felons form owning guns stops the violent repeat offenders from possessing firearms is as asinine as the people who think hanging a "No Gun" sign prevents crime. It's the pinnacle of ignorance.

If someone is too violent to own a firearm they should still be incarcerated! It's like releasing a sex offender and thinking because they can't live within 1 mile of a school they won't ever see another child. :n00b:

Now wait a second.. I think it may be a good thing that Martha Stewart cannot legally be armed- I mean.. do we REALLY need to know how to make our own centerpieces out of toilet paper and corn starch? :lmfao:

Seriously, though, no law stops violent felons from being armed, no unConstitutional ex post facto residency law really protects any kid by making a former molester move, and no ghostbuster sign will stop a murderer from entering a school campus.

In our UT CCW class yesterday, we discussed something along these lines. Another student and I were talking about the law that was proposed last year by Sen. Nugent that would have decriminalized carry by LTC holders in any building owned by the state or any political subdivision of the state, excepting airport secure areas and penal facilities (they added courthouses in committee). One of the reasons this failed to pass the Senate (BY ONE VOTE!:xmad:) was the fear of the 18 year old LTC holder who might carry to his high school. I am of the opinion that that 18 year old has passed the same background check we all have, filed his fingerprints with the state, etc., etc.-- in short jumped through all the hoops to prove his innocence-- and thus he should not be denied any of the rights appertaining to any other adult.

Of course, the scare tactics won out and the bill didn't pass, but I'm hopeful that Sen. Nugent will re-introduce that bill again this year. If he does, unfortunately it will probably except that situation, continuing to forbid that 18 year old from lawful carry of his- or her pistol, but we will be one step closer to the full freedoms that our Founders wished for us.

As for the former felon, if he or she uses the firearm lawfully, I have no problem with the possession of it. If he or she uses it unlawfully, start making examples-maybe we need to start caning our offenders (it may qualify as cruel, but if we do it generally to a whole group of offenders, it will not be unusual.)-and much as DC violated the Constitution for over 30 years, said practice would continue until it was ruled unConstitutional, and we would quickly see if the crime rate dropped because of it.

Blessings,
    B

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    One thing to remember is that true felonies (violent crimes against the person) were not punished by just incarceration in our Founding Fathers' days. Felons were usually put to death and their property seized by the king. So, our Founding Fathers' in their recognition of our basic rights didn't have the same cultural lense we have today as to what to do with the swelling ranks of convicted felons running around.

Felon's didn't just lose some of their rights, they lost them all. I'm not saying what should happen today, just some insight on what happened back in the day.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    im not reading all that ****. you win i guess

Sorry I typed too much "****" for you.

Here's the "See Jane Run" version: "the gun ain't the problem."

This discussion or difference of opinion or whatever isn't a contest to win or lose. Our freedoms are. You want to stop crime, give the criminal a reason not to offend or reoffend, like some serious pain or the loss of his life.

Anything else amounts to "Stop! Or I'll say 'Stop!' again!"

Blessings,
    B

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    There should be no law to infringe the right of self defense, and that is what happens to the felon. There have been two SC cases, that I have read that dealt with an ex-felon using or having a gun to defend themselves, they were not guilty because of intention or overt self defense.

The right of self defense is inalienable, it comes from simply being alive, not from the law. And as one indicated above, if the felon is too violent to be allowed to defend themselves, then they should remain in prison.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    The right of self defense is inalienable, it comes from simply being alive, not from the law. And as one indicated above, if the felon is too violent to be allowed to defend themselves, then they should remain in prison.
    It sure is inalienable, but felons shouldn't be breathing, let alone litigating to change the law. That's all I'm saying.

Violent felons: hangings

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It sure is inalienable, but felons shouldn't be breathing, let alone litigating to change the law. That's all I'm saying.

Violent felons: hangings

I almost missed your last line. I was going to stipulate that the definition of "felon" be limited to those who've actually committed a crime of violence with an actual victim. Many so-called "felonies" don't fit this definition.

I think we're on the same page here. I'd give them one chance (after punishment) to turn their life around. Anyone can f*ck up once.

Blessings,
    B

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My own thoughts: criminal conviction (i.e. "due process") can legitimately deny a person exercise of his or her rights. This is implicit in the 5th Amendment ("...nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law"). It is legitimate to have loss of weapons rights on the table at sentencing.

However, there is the question of the level of the sentence vs. the severity of the crime. Just like "death by lethal injection" is not appropriate for jaywalking, so would permanent loss of weapons rights be appropriate for spitting on the sidewalk. There is also the question of restoration of the rights. The same judge who can commute or suspend fines and incarceration should have the ability to commute or suspend loss of weapons rights. The same parole board that can decide to release an individual back to the streets should also be able to restore weapons rights. The same governor who can pardon and individual entirely should be able to restore weapons rights as well.

IOW, "due process" works both ways.

Top Bottom