• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    A public or private employer doing business in Indiana may not: (1) require an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information about whether the applicantor employee owns, possesses, uses, or transports a firearm or ammunition, unless the disclosure concerns the possession, use, or transportation of a firearm or ammunition that is used in fulfilling the duties of the employment of the individual

So when my employer has a question on my insurance forms asking if I own a gun I can refuse to answer that question?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So when my employer has a question on my insurance forms asking if I own a gun I can refuse to answer that question?

Always remember: you are living in an employment at will state. So, unless your employment is protected by some contract or statute, you may be terminated for any or no reason. (The smart ones will give you no reason).

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I think it's also helpful to read the entire IC. There is one BIG company headquartered in Indianapolis that meets two of the exceptions (underlined). My point is that every individual needs to be well informed prior to taking action.

Indiana Code 34-28-7

IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.

(b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (8) on the property of a person that is:
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards issued April 9, 2007; and
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My work violates these policies. They tell you that you have to fill out a form with the "safety officer". With them it is more like filling out your resignation. :xmad:

Pm me and I'll send them a copy of the lawsuit. This will keep you out of the loop but still notify them that the hammer might be coming.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy

The place I work at in Carmel has a company policy stating that you must notify security if you have plan on having a weapon in you vehicle on company property. Now I know they are breaking the law :noway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "Honey, does this gun make my butt look fat?"

"No, your butt does that all by itself!"

:lmfao:

(No offense meant to anyone here, just a "funny" I heard that I thought was applicable. :D)

Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    "On July 6, Jordan was showing the AR-15 he had in his trunk to coworkers, including an ADM supervisor, while he was off-duty and not on company property but at an apartment complex. Somehow, the weapon accidentally discharged." I realize that this is not part of the suit, but for the love of all that is Holy, could these statements please be stated correctly; an irresponsible gun owner failed to treat every weapon as if it is loaded and then proceeded to make matters worse by pulling the trigger. If that is not what happened the suit should be against the AR manufacturer for making a defective firearm. But we all know the weapon is not at fault. And yes, I know the man should not have been fired for having a weapon in his car. I get all that, I just feel that articles that speak of guns accidentally going off, or bullets hiding in chambers, make the bulk of the public more nervous about our rights than they need to be. Just my little rant. Guy - I wish you the best on this case - kick butt, and take names!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Coefficient of Relevance to SnS's lawsuit: zero.

He was off-duty.

I'm just saying that according to the report the employer is claiming different things than what have been stated in this thread. They are also claiming that part of the reason for the termination was due to the police reported ND.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    There have been a few threads on this so I may have missed it. Was the only reason given by ADM simply for having the rifle in his personal vehicle? If his termination was only for that reason, then this should be a pretty simple case.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    There have been a few threads on this so I may have missed it. Was the only reason given by ADM simply for having the rifle in his personal vehicle? If his termination was only for that reason, then this should be a pretty simple case.
    If memory serves correct, yes that was the only reason given to the employee. Now they are saying something differently.

Top Bottom