• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I understand the stigma associated with firearms in movies: unlimited ammo, the ablility to kill 50 guys with 40 bullets from 500 yards on full auto, and the hero's inability to take fire.

Two movies i watched recently, 'Open Range' and 'Public Enemies', i noticed something: The sounds of the firearms are almost exact to how they would sound in real life. No brakka-brakka when a guy is shooting a handgun, and firing in the distance is a dull 'pop' like how you hear when driving up to a range or something.

Just an observation. Probably slightly inaccurate, since i know what a .45 sounds like, but not a Thompson Submachine gun.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was watching a video about the new Call of Duty video game. They said that every gun in the game they took to a desert out west and recorded the sounds it made from several different distances. Probably the same thing for some movies.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Two movies i watched recently, 'Open Range' and 'Public Enemies', i noticed something: The sounds of the firearms are almost exact to how they would sound in real life.

"HEAT" was, IMO, the best at this. The acoustics in the bank robbery/street fight scene were incredible.

"Open Range" was pretty good in this regard, too, but suffered from several classic Hollywood gunfight stereotypes, including a shotgun blowing a guy back several feet and the classic six-shooter holding *way* more than six... to say nothing of the inevitable Hollywood Ending.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I was always a fan of clint eastwoods spaghetti westerns & the distinctive report that those guns always made made go into a single action phase to find a pistol that made that distinctive PA- tooie ( if you seen any of these westerns you know what im talking about) The closest I ever got to the re-creation of this was a blackpowder load in a 44/40 remington army model reproduction but wow , lotta smoke,still cool though.Now I gotta go & watch The Good ,The Bad & The Ugly again

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I was always a fan of clint eastwoods spaghetti westerns & the distinctive report that those guns always made made go into a single action phase to find a pistol that made that distinctive PA- tooie ( if you seen any of these westerns you know what im talking about) The closest I ever got to the re-creation of this was a blackpowder load in a 44/40 remington army model reproduction but wow , lotta smoke,still cool though.Now I gotta go & watch The Good ,The Bad & The Ugly again
    that patooie sound is supposed to be ricochets. It's actually fairly close to the sound of a ricochet. we used to shoot rocks in fields while we were groundhog hunting with our .22s for practice and to listen to the ricochets.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Now I gotta go & watch The Good ,The Bad & The Ugly again

Sounds like a plan!

that patooie sound is supposed to be ricochets. It's actually fairly close to the sound of a ricochet. we used to shoot rocks in fields while we were groundhog hunting with our .22s for practice and to listen to the ricochets.

They do this when the bullet hits concrete the right way, too. lol

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    "HEAT" was, IMO, the best at this. The acoustics in the bank robbery/street fight scene were incredible.

Heat was the most accurate I've seen so far. :rockwoot:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc]YouTube - Heat Shootout Scene [High Quality][/ame]

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home

The Outlaw Josie Wales was on TV saturday night... my favorite by far (have the dvd 3$ at wally world!) I watched the "special features" and they showed them shooting he film and the guns were all very quiet sounded like cap guns, audio obviously added during editing. On a side note, had a buddy at basic who's first name was Eastwood, his pops named him after the most bad A** cowboy there ever was!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The Outlaw Josie Wales was on TV saturday night... my favorite by far (have the dvd 3$ at wally world!) I watched the "special features" and they showed them shooting he film and the guns were all very quiet sounded like cap guns, audio obviously added during editing. On a side note, had a buddy at basic who's first name was Eastwood, his pops named him after the most bad A** cowboy there ever was!
    You mean he made his middle name John Wayne?

:stickpoke:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    you cant be considered the most badass at anything when you avoided Americas greatest war.

Pretty sure he was in the group of film makers that were purposely kept home to make propaganda / morale films etc. But I could be wrong :dunno: I just always hated in his movies how clean he always was... freakin pretty boy.:xmad:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom